MMQB: Why the Bills are where they are

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

To be fair, he also had a wide open miss to Dawson Know.  Couple that with 2 fumbles.  But for the most part, that’s it.  When you look at the totality of the game, he did more good than bad - which is “The Josh Allen Experience.”

Never a dull moment, eh?

Every QB makes bad plays EVERY game they play, and it doesn't matter what name you insert here.

Yet Allen is SCRUTINIZED with every f'n bad play he makes.

It's really tiresome. Allen's arm and legs are the big reason the Bills put up 400 yards and 27 to begin with.

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

God that was such a horrendous pass by Allen. But it was just one pass. 71% completion rate is pretty good....

I take you don't watch a lot of NFL games. Because I see throws like that every week by pretty much every single quarterback

But only allen does it get talked about after a 33 of 46 game

Edited by Buffalo716

6 hours ago, TBBills said:

Joe attacks people for no reason. I think he wants a temp ban or something...

Criticizing players for playing poorly or making bad mistakes isn't worthy of a ban, temp or otherwise, regardless of if we like the opinion or not.

Josh deserves flack for that pass (and some other misses), but deserves all the praise in the world for the others he made. That's just par for the course being an NFL QB. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I take you don't watch a lot of NFL games. Because I see throws like that every week by pretty much every single quarterback

I really, really do not understand why Allen's performance is getting downplayed. He put up a franchise caliber line yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

God that was such a horrendous pass by Allen. But it was just one pass. 71% completion rate is pretty good....

You take the good. 
You take the bad. 

You take them both and there you have 
The facts of life. 
The facts of life. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I did see a few. If Josh has that same game every game for the rest of the season, then we’re probably winning the division IMO. Yes the throw was bad and boy do I wish he’d hold on to the ball tighter, but to me he looked like a QB that’s ready to take the next step yesterday 

if Josh has the same game every week we'll be 8-8.  Losing 2 fumbles and missing 2 guys WIDE OPEN in the EZ will be good enough vs the Jets who have no offense.  However against some of th other teams on our schedule like the Cheaps, Hawks 49ers, Cardinals, Cheats x2, Rams, Titans, and Steel Curtain, not so much.

He played a.good game for the most part.  Keep on winning!

25 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Please read my other posts in this thread. I said it was a bad throw, was it not a bad throw? Holy *****. I also said that it was “just one pass”. I appreciate you guys coming to Allen’s defense but holy *****, I wasn’t talking bad about him 

Just now, Brennan Huff said:

Please read my other posts in this thread. I said it was a bad throw, was it not a bad throw? Holy *****. I also said that it was “just one pass”. I appreciate you guys coming to Allen’s defense but holy *****, I wasn’t talking bad about him 

There's literally no reason to bring up that one throw when he was 33 of 46. Every single quarterback misses throws throughout a game

Especially when they're rolling out to the wrong side. This is the only place in the world that breaks down every poor throw. Tom Brady has two or three bad throws a game for 15 years

7 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Seriously.

Sometimes I wonder if Bills fans ever watch any of the other great QB’s play entire games.  They all make ‘bad plays’ every game. 

Mahomes made some egregious misses on Thursday, and I literally looked at my friend and said had that been Josh Allen it would be talked about non stop regardless what he did rest of game.  With Mahomes and other QB's, you never hear about it again after the game.  

Allen had a very good day throwing the ball.  I bet you 99 times out of 100 he makes that throw to Brown for the easy TD.  He just let that one get away from him.  He made so many key throws all day with precision, it was more a fluke than anything.  

The Knox throw was clearly more about he had no idea how much space he created escaping the pocket.  He threw the ball as if someone was still on him and simply didn't set his feet.  It was an awkward throw, and he just escaped major pressure.  That one wasn't that big of a deal IMO, just more that he had no idea he left everyone in their dust actually and had the time to set and not make the awkward throwing angle.  

Now the fumbles are to be concerned about.  This was an issue for him last year, and I cant for the life of me figure out why a man this big and strong with big hands cant hold onto the ball better.  But if they are going to keep utilizing his threat to run, and they should, they need to drill down on him and figure this ball control out.  It can be done, Tiki Barber was terrible about fumbling until they finally fixed it.  Call him or something, figure it out, but it needs to be fixed.  You cant take away his designed runs, its a big part of what makes him so hard to defend.  But you also need to not over use it and also be smart about it and help the kid figure out ball security better.  

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

There's literally no reason to bring up that one throw when he was 33 of 46. Every single quarterback misses throws throughout a game

Especially when they're rolling out to the wrong side. This is the only place in the world that breaks down every poor throw. Tom Brady has two or three bad throws a game for 15 years

Im guessing you didn’t even read the MMQB article. Read it and then you’ll see why I even brought it up...

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No I didn't. if you want to bring up negatives from Allens game bring up the fumbles

His arm is money

That pass was brought up in the article because it went “viral” on social media. So me bringing up the pass and then saying “but it was just one pass. 71% completion percentage is pretty good” is basically saying what you’re trying to say to me in defense of Allen. I know it was one bad pass. Unfortunately he has a narrative of being inaccurate, and Twitter land ate that throw up. I love Josh Allen and I think he’s on his way to elite status. 

Edited by Brennan Huff

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There is some rust/field awareness I believe.

I don’t have time for it this morning and I suck at searching our archives, but at one point after last season I went through every fumble Josh made last season and put them into three categories:

1) strip-sack - hit while setting up to throw.  QBs are gonna get those.  There’s no way around it if you don’t turn into “Cap’t Checkdown” and pitch it at the first pressure.

2) rushing fumble - hit and stripped while running.  No excuse.

3) transition fumble - hit and stripped while making a decision whether to run or throw

What I saw when I did this was that early in the season, 2) predominated.  After the Browns game, 1) and occasionally 3).  He had 5 games with 0 fumbles, the 1 fumble in the Dallas game was actually a botched snap (or he wouldn’t have been able to advance it by rule), and the fumbles in the Ravens game 1 was for sure a blindside hit/strip sack where 95/100 QB fumble and I think the other was a transition fumble.  The lost fumble in the Houston game was a transition fumble.

I think in regards to the Houston game fumble, Josh had decided to make a throw.  His eyes were fixed down field and his left had had just come off the ball but category 3 is the better match over 1.  Mercilus beat Kroft, Singletary and Dawkins on the play and accidentally poke checked it from Josh's right hand with the back of his.  Sorry, I have had a thing with reviewing those strange plays that went wrong from that game.

The excuse I see for fumbles of the #2 type is that QBs are not only not hit in practice but they aren't even to be touched.  I think that does not prepare them well for in game defenders making a play on him.

Mercilus Strip Sack.JPG

Mercilus Forcing Fumble.JPG

49 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

That pass was brought up in the article because it went “viral” on social media. So me bringing up the pass and then saying “but it was just one pass. 71% completion percentage is pretty good” is basically saying what you’re trying to say to me in defense of Allen. I know it was one bad pass. Unfortunately he has a narrative of being inaccurate, and Twitter land ate that throw up. I love Josh Allen and I think he’s on his way to elite status. 

Give it a rest.🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Criticizing players for playing poorly or making bad mistakes isn't worthy of a ban, temp or otherwise, regardless of if we like the opinion or not.

Josh deserves flack for that pass (and some other misses), but deserves all the praise in the world for the others he made. That's just par for the course being an NFL QB. 

The problem is be the little bit critical and Joe attacks you as if you are not allowed to talk about the fumbles or missed throws.