MMQB: Why the Bills are where they are

YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

I dont understand why they said he passed for 20-26 for 161 yds. Did I miss something in the article? 

Those were his first half numbers so probably just left out part of a line. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Seriously.

Sometimes I wonder if Bills fans ever watch any of the other great QB’s play entire games.  They all make ‘bad plays’ every game. 

There's a pretty large segment in every fanbase that largely watches only their own team and an occasional primetime game.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Seriously.

Sometimes I wonder if Bills fans ever watch any of the other great QB’s play entire games.  They all make ‘bad plays’ every game. 

I know Brady is old now but in the game yesterday I saw him sail a pass out of bounds to a wide open RB in the flat.......looked very EJ Manuel like 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I dunno....he fumbles a lot and I don't think it has to do with rust...he needs to learn how to hold on to the ball more firmly when he is running with it...he should call Tiki Barber...he had a big fumbling issue early in his career and then corrected it and rarely fumbled after that.

There is some rust/field awareness I believe.

I don’t have time for it this morning and I suck at searching our archives, but at one point after last season I went through every fumble Josh made last season and put them into three categories:

1) strip-sack - hit while setting up to throw.  QBs are gonna get those.  There’s no way around it if you don’t turn into “Cap’t Checkdown” and pitch it at the first pressure.

2) rushing fumble - hit and stripped while running.  No excuse.

3) transition fumble - hit and stripped while making a decision whether to run or throw

What I saw when I did this was that early in the season, 2) predominated.  After the Browns game, 1) and occasionally 3).  He had 5 games with 0 fumbles, the 1 fumble in the Dallas game was actually a botched snap (or he wouldn’t have been able to advance it by rule), and the fumbles in the Ravens game 1 was for sure a blindside hit/strip sack where 95/100 QB fumble and I think the other was a transition fumble.  The lost fumble in the Houston game was a transition fumble.

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I did see a few. If Josh has that same game every game for the rest of the season, then we’re probably winning the division IMO. Yes the throw was bad and boy do I wish he’d hold on to the ball tighter, but to me he looked like a QB that’s ready to take the next step yesterday 

He cant fumble (badly) twice and miss wide open uncovered receivers in the end zone against elite teams, he can get away with that versus the Jets in the first game of the year but not versus quality teams, imho.  And I would give Allen an A- on his play yesterday, overall he played extremely well.  I am a big Josh Allen fan but he has to get the fumbles under control...it wasnt as if they were forced fumbles  made by great defensive play, he literally dropped the ball twice.

• Like (+1) 1

One thing i noticed yesterday from Allen is him going through multiple reads to find the open WR. He looked like a vet standing in that pocket and then was throwing guys open. Sure he still gets a little erratic when he doesn't find a guy open and will try to fit something in where he prob shouldn't or get on the run and not get his feet under him to make an accurate throw. Hes a gamer though and even though sometimes its the smart play to just throw it away and move on, slide down after a run and etc, he just wants to make that big play and keep the chains moving at all costs. With more maturity he will learn to pick and choose those situations. If its early on downs or early in game take the safer play. If its later downs or in game and that big play is a must, then take that chance. All in all hes still the most exciting QB we have had here in Buffalo in a really long long time. Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

To be fair, he also had a wide open miss to Dawson Know.  Couple that with 2 fumbles.  But for the most part, that’s it.  When you look at the totality of the game, he did more good than bad - which is “The Josh Allen Experience.”

it’s actually the “QB Experience.”

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

To be fair, he also had a wide open miss to Dawson Know.  Couple that with 2 fumbles.  But for the most part, that’s it.  When you look at the totality of the game, he did more good than bad - which is “The Josh Allen Experience.”

More good than bad. Do you work at PFF?

The guy had ruined every Jets fans weekend by the end of the 1st quarter.  Threw for over 300 yards with a completion rate of ~71%. You could at least have said a lot more good than bad.

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Seriously.

He had 4 really bad plays.

Two fumbles in/near the red zone.  Two TD misses to wide open guys in Knox and Brown.  

He was also a pretty accurate, electric, play-making machine out there for most of the game.  Strong command of the offense and moved around the pocket extremely well.

It really just depends what we're evaluating him on..  Franchise QB?.. Ok, he looks like that for sure.   Top 10 QB?  Close, but if he can take those 4 glaring mistakes (all of which took points off the board) and cut that down to 2 per game... well then.. then we have a legitimate Top 10 QB.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

More good than bad. Do you work at PFF?

The guy had ruined every Jets fans weekend by the end of the 1st quarter.  Threw for over 300 yards with a completion rate of ~71%. You could at least have said a lot more good than bad.

Speaking of PFF Sam Monson was sounding like a straight tool yesterday posting that Allen pass that he airmailed to John Brown. The guy had the nerve to stay stats don’t matter when it was pointed out that Allen completed 71% of his passes with 3 total td.

I told him to just log out for the day cause he was sounding like a fool.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He had 4 really bad plays.

Two fumbles in/near the red zone.  Two TD misses to wide open guys in Knox and Brown.  

He was also a pretty accurate, electric, play-making machine out there for most of the game.  Strong command of the offense and moved around the pocket extremely well.

It really just depends what we're evaluating him on..  Franchise QB?.. Ok, he looks like that for sure.   Top 10 QB?  Close, but if he can take those 4 glaring mistakes (all of which took points off the board) and cut that down to 2 per game... well then.. then we have a legitimate Top 10 QB.

Very nice recap with perspective. #17 isn't a consistent top 10 QB yet. I don't expect him to be but I can see that he is developing into one. The kid just keeps improving. I think what many of us have grown tired of is the Negative Nellys on this site that expect him to be perfect. They harp about something like completion rate and when he surpasses that they just move the goal posts. 

I appreciate your level headed post that lays it out that he has room for continued improvement and that we have a electric play-making machine at qb. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Seriously.

Exactly. Doesn’t anyone remember the Mahommes throw last year when he tried to look one way and throw the other and miss a wide open Kielce ?

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I clearly recall that pass to Knox, however he was throwing across his body on the run, with two Jet defenders about 10 yards closer directly in the throwing lane.  So he had to be able to get it over their heads and still drop in with no ability for Knox to go deeper as was already in the far corner.   Was a clear miss, but will give him the benefit on that one.  Plus I believe they did still score a TD on that drive, or was that the first drive where he fumbled like 1 play later?

12 minutes ago, Mcdermott said:

Exactly. Doesn’t anyone remember the Mahommes throw last year when he tried to look one way and throw the other and miss a wide open Kielce ?

Yep. 
I might even go a step further to say what makes the great ones great is their ability to shake off a bad play and move on. I can see that developing in Josh. I didn’t see him hanging his head yesterday after a mistake. 

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Seemed like a solid write up, and there was more good than bad from Allen.  They knocked the rust off so hopefully we won’t see a lot of the mistakes with the fumbles.  I wasn’t worried about the bad throw as he finished with 71%.  No QB is perfect.

I was a little surprised on NFLN Gameday Highlights, we were a footnote on the review vs. some games were covered extensively this morning.  It doesn’t really matter, but they left out a lot of good plays in their highlights.

i watch the show everyday since it’s inception and have come to the conclusion that their Monday highlight show is a complete waste of my time.  I may watch next Monday, but that’s probably going to be the last Monday show I watch.  Considering we are playing the fins, they may only show highlights of the 13k fans in the stadium, 11k being bills fans. 

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He cant fumble (badly) twice and miss wide open uncovered receivers in the end zone against elite teams, he can get away with that versus the Jets in the first game of the year but not versus quality teams, imho.  And I would give Allen an A- on his play yesterday, overall he played extremely well.  I am a big Josh Allen fan but he has to get the fumbles under control...it wasnt as if they were forced fumbles  made by great defensive play, he literally dropped the ball twice.

He’s going to have these mistakes vs elite teams and it’s possible that we overcome them.  While we haven’t proven it yet, we are on the verge of being one of those elite teams.....and they all overcome mistakes.