MMQB: Why the Bills are where they are

YoloinOhio

40 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I think in regards to the Houston game fumble, Josh had decided to make a throw.  His eyes were fixed down field and his left had had just come off the ball but category 3 is the better match over 1.  Mercilus beat Kroft, Singletary and Dawkins on the play and accidentally poke checked it from Josh's right hand with the back of his.  Sorry, I have had a thing with reviewing those strange plays that went wrong from that game.

The excuse I see for fumbles of the #2 type is that QBs are not only not hit in practice but they aren't even to be touched.  I think that does not prepare them well for in game defenders making a play on him.

Mercilus Strip Sack.JPG

Mercilus Forcing Fumble.JPG

That's exactly my assessment of that Houston fumble - and I too went through the Gamepass frame by frame.  People say "but but Mercilus barely touched it", well, there's a lever effect. Hitting the tip of a ball on the opposite side of where it's being held is the optimal leverage to pop it out.  Physics.

Josh said that after the Cleveland game, "those guys are bigger and they hit harder than it's possible to hit the QB in practice", but nevertheless, he did make a big improvement in fumbles during runs during the course of last season.  He went 5 of the last 7 games of the season with 0 fumbles but a normal amount of rushing attempts.  The fumbles he had were a botched snap in the Dallas game that he recovered and converted, and two strip sacks in the Ravens game.  (to be fair, he coughed the ball up but it was ruled down at Pittsburgh, but held on through some rough treatment at other times)

35 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Did anyone see the Ravens game. Jackson is terrible. The guy is not a real QB. Not sure why he gets so much props and Allen gets bashed for throwing for 300+. 

Holy ***** dude. Nobody is bashing Allen. Criticizing yes, bashing no not even close. What is going on here?

8 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Holy ***** dude. Nobody is bashing Allen. Criticizing yes, bashing no not even close. What is going on here?

You responded in the context of an article. Other folks didn't read the article, but are responding to the message board context of a group of posters who like to scrutinize every bad pass or mistake Allen makes, often because they have embraced a narrative where Allen is not very good. You, yourself, are fine. Just let it go. In the end, you and 716 and most rational folks are on the same page.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The fumbles have come from him doing too much.   Like it or not Allen is going to do that.  As a team Buffalo needs to limit his hits.  I want the offense to run Allen less.  Move away from the zone read.  If the play breaks down, he runs ok.  But get down or out of bounds. 

The pass in the endzone was a situation where he was being asked to execute an insansly difficult pass.  Mahomes, Rodgers, and Wilson would struggle with that pass too.  Reverse roll out running against his body float it over the wr and defender in the flat.  The narrative is set.  He is a turnover machine and is too inaccurate to win.  Some how some way he threw 40 passes at 70%.  2 tds 1 rushing over 300 yards passing.  

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You responded in the context of an article. Other folks didn't read the article, but are responding to the message board context of a group of posters who like to scrutinize every bad pass or mistake Allen makes, often because they have embraced a narrative where Allen is not very good. You, yourself, are fine. Just let it go. In the end, you and 716 and most rational folks are on the same page.

Is it the the people who scrutinize? Or that anyone who scrutinizes or appears to scrutinize is attacked. This board is so sensitive to anything possibly being said in a negative way. Only rainbows and butterflies allowed...

Edited by ngbills

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Is it the the people who scrutinize? Or that anyone who scrutinizes or appears to scrutinize is attacked. This board is so sensitive to anything possibly being said in a negative way. Only rainbows and butterflies allowed...

As I'm sure you are aware, when folks disagree, one person's explanations are another's excuses. I don't think folks who think Allen is on the way to becoming a franchise qb ignore mistakes or the need to improve. I therefore don't agree that only rainbows, butterflies, unicorns, etc. are allowed. In my opinion, there are skeptical folks who remain insightful and in the range of rational opinion. I distinguish those folks from those who clearly have an agenda. But it's a message board. Everyone puts in their two cents and each person has to decide who is worth attending to and who is not.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

if Josh has the same game every week we'll be 8-8.  Losing 2 fumbles and missing 2 guys WIDE OPEN in the EZ will be good enough vs the Jets who have no offense.  However against some of th other teams on our schedule like the Cheaps, Hawks 49ers, Cardinals, Cheats x2, Rams, Titans, and Steel Curtain, not so much.

He played a.good game for the most part.  Keep on winning!

What if Josh also has the same 33-46, 312, 2 TDs passing, and one TD rushing every week as well? Will we still be 8-8? Does the defense have a say in any of it? 

Edited by K-9

Just now, K-9 said:

What if Josh also has the same 33-46, 312, 2 TDs passing, and one TD rushing every wee as well? Will we still be 8-8? Does the defense have a say in any of it? 

Another way to ask it: say this team puts up 27 points every game. Is that team finishing 8-8? Not very plausible.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Finally somebody making sense. Thank you

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's exactly my assessment of that Houston fumble - and I too went through the Gamepass frame by frame.  People say "but but Mercilus barely touched it", well, there's a lever effect. Hitting the tip of a ball on the opposite side of where it's being held is the optimal leverage to pop it out.  Physics.

Josh said that after the Cleveland game, "those guys are bigger and they hit harder than it's possible to hit the QB in practice", but nevertheless, he did make a big improvement in fumbles during runs during the course of last season.  He went 5 of the last 7 games of the season with 0 fumbles but a normal amount of rushing attempts.  The fumbles he had were a botched snap in the Dallas game that he recovered and converted, and two strip sacks in the Ravens game.  (to be fair, he coughed the ball up but it was ruled down at Pittsburgh, but held on through some rough treatment at other times)

The Bills went max protect and a triple teamed defender,  Mercilus, beat the protection and caused the fumble.  So many plays in that game would have made for some tough video review.

TJ Watt punches should be illegal.  When he misses it becomes more akin to a PF.  I don't ever recall any other player going after the ball like that.  He got Singletary to fumble.

22 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

TJ Watt punches should be illegal.  When he misses it becomes more akin to a PF.  I don't ever recall any other player going after the ball like that.  He got Singletary to fumble.

That was essentially my reaction "why isn't that a personal foul?"  Watt essentially punched Josh hard in the xiphoid process, or hopefully in whatever protector Josh is wearing over the area but still.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Yeah I've been out golfing and drinking all day. . I didn't read the article but there will be people that will scrutinize every pass from Allen for the rest of his career

And they will highlight the bad ones but never talk about the good ones, that's life and I agree most of the rational people are on the same page

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TBBills said:

The problem is be the little bit critical and Joe attacks you as if you are not allowed to talk about the fumbles or missed throws.

Ah, I see. Well there will always be those who personally invest themselves so much in an invidividual player that they take everything other than sheer praise as a slight, or can spin anything into a personal attack on their favorite player. There used to be a few posters around here who were DIEHARD Tyrod defenders....game after game, no matter how miserable he played, and if you so much as laid basic evidence out as to why he was the main issue, they went on a crusade against you lol.

In regards to Josh, people should just understand there is going to be criticism of him while he plays like this. We take the bad with the good, not disregard all the bad & pretend it's ALL good.

I mean in another thread about Diggs, I complimented how clutch he was & how impressed I was with his ability to hang onto the ball even after big hits, but since I said something like "even if Josh was to somehow flame out, Diggs would still be worth everything we traded for him," some guy got all pissed off & called that personally attacking Josh 😂

I mean... I didn't even say one critical thing about the guy. I was saying absent of the current QB, the massive amount of picks we invested to get Diggs + what we're paying him is worth it, so in a worst case scenario we aren't stuck with some highly paid player that falls apart without other pieces around him. Diggs is good independent of other factors. That's it. But damn will people get offended if you even speak a hypothetical about Josh lol

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The pass in the endzone was a situation where he was being asked to execute an insansly difficult pass.  Mahomes, Rodgers, and Wilson would struggle with that pass too.  Reverse roll out running against his body float it over the wr and defender in the flat.  The narrative is set.  He is a turnover machine and is too inaccurate to win.  Some how some way he threw 40 passes at 70%.  2 tds 1 rushing over 300 yards passing.  

Nah.  He didn’t complete the pass because he didn’t stop and set his feet.  If he did that he would have completed that pass.  He got in too much of a hurry.