A Tale of Two Quarterbacks

Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

There was a play toward the end of the game when Darnold was scrambling to his right and a Bills defender was running directly at him - and Darnold casually took a sack instead of just tossing the ball out of bounds.  Reminded me of Trent for sure.  After seeing that I realized Darnold is broken.  He was airmailing passes like crazy yesterday.  It’s insane that Adam Gase still has a job.

Darnold has had a major issue with pocket presence his entire career.  Pressure the guy up the middle and he's done. 

Allen is starting to look like Kelly in the pocket.  His awareness is improving each game.  His turnovers and mistakes are happening outside the pocket (which means they are fixable). That's great progress.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

There was a play toward the end of the game when Darnold was scrambling to his right and a Bills defender was running directly at him - and Darnold casually took a sack instead of just tossing the ball out of bounds.  Reminded me of Trent for sure.  After seeing that I realized Darnold is broken.  He was airmailing passes like crazy yesterday.  It’s insane that Adam Gase still has a job.

Darnold is awful in the NFL and was mediocre at USC.  He’s just not elite in any area and his ball security stinks.  He looks like a guy who’s just out there to cash paychecks.  As far as his supporting cast, I would argue that until this season, Darnold’s was no worse than JA’s.

Edited by mannc

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

It all comes down to resiliency to me.  Baker got scared from all the hits he took in the first season.  Darnold also has been knocked around and hasn’t learned to trust his guys.  

Allen has never given up, has amazing support from his coaches (who’ve remained consistent) and has been on a Life Time plan.  

Talent is a part of it, but it’s not the only part 

Fixed ;)

He isn't going anywhere for the next 10 years or so :)

Sam Monson of PFF weighs in and gets pwn’d:

Because, you know, when your narrative has been “that guy just can’t play QB” and the bottom line is 71% completion for 312 yards, no INTs, 2 TD - you pretty much gotta cherry-pick what you can.  

I’m sure the next thing is PFF get crankin’ on some 1,000 line of code building on subjective observations to decide his “potential ground-hitting pass” index is far too high to be a quality QB.

Other people than Bills fans seem to be clueing in, Sam.

Where’s your assessment of Baker Mayfield this week, thou mewling pox-marked infection?

I'm still not totally out on Darnold and Baker personally. If Baker doesn't turn it around this year, I'm definitely out, but Week 1 against Baltimore is a really tough matchup and weird stuff can happen in Week 1. He definitely doesn't have the excuses that Darnold has anymore though.

Darnold might ultimately be toast, but man, the Jets really screwed him over terribly.

• Like (+1) 1

Something I noticed early in the game...at least to the extent the cameras gave you the view: when the Jets' D was on the field, Darnold was on the bench just kind of hanging out by himself; when the Bills' D was on the field, Josh was on the bench with coaches and tablets, discussing what they all see, etc.

It may have just been that moment the camera captured, but I never understand a QB sitting alone without looking over the real-time action from the overhead cameras.