A Tale of Two Quarterbacks

Inigo Montoya

34 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Your not kidding. Nationally, Josh is  not respected.

After this week, we will hear about overthrows and fumbles and blah, blah , blah.

Meanwhile, Brady and Brees and Wentze looked like unpolished Turds and they will have excuse after excuse made for them.

Josh isn’t perfect but he can be a 60 + percent passer With escapability built in.

Confirmation bias.  Those that picked Allen to be a bust will point to his mistakes and those who pounded the table for him will ignore the parts of the game he needs to improve. 

• Like (+1) 3

Darnold has been terrible when under pressure since his days at USC. Darnold also doesn't have much of a receiving group in NY. Gase is also the head coach and that guy is terrible. Darnold hasn't been put in a position to succeed where Josh has. The question is how much time will the Jets give him? Will they give him a pass because of Gase and start over again next year with a new staff or will he be one contract and done?

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Get real, there is no way in the world the Jets are releasing Darnold after this season.  The GM  will load up on WRs in the off-season   He can't be judged when he has the worst receivers in the league.

Good chance he and his camp might request a trade off the team and you never know. Especially if the jets end up with a top 3 pick, they might end up with a top 5 QB. 

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Darnold has been terrible when under pressure since his days at USC. Darnold also doesn't have much of a receiving group in NY. Gase is also the head coach and that guy is terrible. Darnold hasn't been put in a position to succeed where Josh has. The question is how much time will the Jets give him? Will they give him a pass because of Gase and start over again next year with a new staff or will he be one contract and done?

New staff might not want Darnold, hell there was an article about Gase not liking Darnold at all while he was still in Miami. 

59 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It all comes down to resiliency to me.  Baker got scared from all the hits he took in the first season.  Darnold also has been knocked around and hasn’t learned to trust his guys.  

Allen has never given up, has amazing support from his coaches (who’ve remained consistent) and has been on a 3 year plan.  

Talent is a part of it, but it’s not the only part 

Agree.  I don't think you can discount character.  Mayfield and Darnold enjoyed great success in college and were drafted accordingly being annointed before playing a single down.  Allen didn't enjoy that success and his pick was criticized by many.  So Allen got to real work having confidence in himself but realizing his short comings.  He looks to improve himself on a daily basis.  "If I work and learn, I'll succeed."  With the others, and it's more evident with Mayfield than Darnold, they look externally.  "Get me the surrounding cast and I'll succeed."  We're seeing the difference in the two approaches.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm starting to question the Gase is a QB whisperer narrative.

My apologies if you've read this from me before, but you will never confuse me with someone who likes to make NFL predictions. I know I can't, so I don't, but after watching this sport religiously since the age of 11, the one thing I CAN tell you without question is that Gase is a horrible head coach and I hope it takes the Jets another two seasons to figure it out, at least.

• Like (+1) 7

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Confirmation bias.  Those that picked Allen to be a bust will point to his mistakes and those who pounded the table for him will ignore the parts of the game he needs to improve. 

Nah even I can see the parts of his game that need work and dude is my ride or die

The ones who said he wouldn’t make it are the ones getting left behind rn

6 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

My apologies if you've read this from me before, but you will never confuse me with someone who likes to make NFL predictions. I know I can't, so I don't, but after watching this sport religiously since the age of 11, the one thing I CAN tell you without question is that Gase is a horrible head coach and I hope it takes the Jets another two seasons to figure it out, at least.

I was thrilled when the Jets hired him.  Did the higher ups not watch the Dolphins his last two years there?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was thinking that.  And frankly, in his press conference, I thought he kinda sounded shook. 

He's not nearly the level of Trentative Edwards but I thought Darnold was edging up to 75 milliTrents or so on the "defeated looking presser" scale.

MilliTrents. 

Thats gonna stick!👍

1 hour ago, H2o said:

The interesting thing is that when they were drafted Darnold (along with Rosen) was considered to be the most pro-ready but many believed he had the highest floor/lowest ceiling.  Allen was thought of to have the lowest floor/highest ceiling.  

While the team building and talent surrounding each QB is different, Allen has progressed since his rookie year while Darnold has largely been the same QB - maybe worse

Edited by JohnNord

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

It all comes down to resiliency to me.  Baker got scared from all the hits he took in the first season.  Darnold also has been knocked around and hasn’t learned to trust his guys.  

Allen has never given up, has amazing support from his coaches (who’ve remained consistent) and has been on a 3 year plan.  

Talent is a part of it, but it’s not the only part 

I agree with this. I have been critical of Allen, but Darnold just looks broken. And Baker is too much of a prick to be resilient. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've always been a big believer that the QB makes the WR not the other way around unless the WR is elite like a Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss etc. but with that being said the Jets have been flat out awful bringing in the right players for a young QB, the Jets OL is average at best, the WR core is bad, I like the TE but he's young and coming off injury so he's trying to get his footing back. He should already have a #1 WR and a few big time OL. The Bills go out and sign Morse, spend a 2nd on Cody Ford (jury is still out), signed FA Quinton Spain then resigned him due to his high level of play, drafted LT Dion Dawkins 2nd round and picked up a bunch of FA OL. What did they do for Darnold? They let his best WR Robbie Anderson sign somewhere else and replaced him with a journeyman in Breshaud Perriman, they Did sign FA Leveon Bell but with no decent OL they can focus on Bell.

I was surprised by Darnold today.  I've always been a believer. Granted, he doesn't have much in the way of a line or wideouts, but he was just bad. Really off target, and he looked rattled all game.

It's funny to think back on that draft now.  The Bills picking the "wrong Josh," Mayfield & Darnold getting all the hype, Jackson being an after-thought.  Of the "Big 4" of Darnold, Mayfield, Allen & Rosen, Allen looks like the clear winner.  I'd certainly rather have him than any of the other guys.

And this is pure homer, but I'd rather have Allen than Jackson.  I think when all is said & done, Allen will be more successful.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was thinking that.  And frankly, in his press conference, I thought he kinda sounded shook. 

He's not nearly the level of Trentative Edwards but I thought Darnold was edging up to 75 milliTrents or so on the "defeated looking presser" scale.

There was a play toward the end of the game when Darnold was scrambling to his right and a Bills defender was running directly at him - and Darnold casually took a sack instead of just tossing the ball out of bounds.  Reminded me of Trent for sure.  After seeing that I realized Darnold is broken.  He was airmailing passes like crazy yesterday.  It’s insane that Adam Gase still has a job.

9 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

Baker Mayfield was also awful today and unlike Darnold, he has tons of weapons.  Looks like the last two quarterbacks taken in the 1st round of the 2018 draft will be better than picks #1 and #3.  

For all the hate Allen receives from the national media, they should probably re-direct it to Mayfield.

Faker Mayfield. Faaaaker.