A Tale of Two Quarterbacks

Inigo Montoya

It's hard to understate how important it is for a QB to go to an organization that will put him in a position to succeed.  Josh obviously is in a great situation here in Buffalo, and Darnold is clearly not. Josh is looking better in every aspect of his game right now and Darnold is playing without any help or confidence.  The tough thing for Darnold is that I think the guy could be a successful NFL quarterback.  I think that if the fates had intervened and Darnold had been drafted by Beane and the Bills, he would be successful on this Bills team.  As it stands now, Allen is looking at a big payday if he can keep playing at this level, and Darnold might very well be holding a clipboard on another team next year. 

If the Jets suck all year they could be sitting there with a top three draft pick staring at a blue chip college QB.  If they bring in a new head coach next year he may want his own QB under center to start his regime.  Lastly, if Darnold continues to get hammered and struggles all season, he might not have the ability to recover his confidence and play good football again.  The NY media and Jets' fans are brutal once they turn on you.  It might end up being a very long year for Darnold.

Believe me, I'm not crying any tears here for Darnold or the Jets.  I hope they continue to be a dysfunctional franchise and that Darnold never evolves into a QB who can beat the Bills.   I'd love to have him holding a clipboard behind Josh next year in Buffalo if he gets released.  It just goes to show that for all the debate and speculation about college QB's coming out in the draft, the franchise they go to and the leadership there is just as important as the QB himself.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Baker Mayfield was also awful today and unlike Darnold, he has tons of weapons.  Looks like the last two quarterbacks taken in the 1st round of the 2018 draft will be better than picks #1 and #3.  

For all the hate Allen receives from the national media, they should probably re-direct it to Mayfield.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mc1320 said:

Baker Mayfield was also awful today and unlike Darnold, he has tons of weapons.  Looks like the last two quarterbacks taken in the 1st round of the 2018 draft will be better than picks #1 and #3.  

For all the hate Allen receives from the national media, they should probably re-direct it to Mayfield.

Rosen was taken after Allen, so QB’s 3 and 5 of the 2018 draft

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mc1320 said:

Mayfield is almost intentionally failing. I don’t understand how he can’t produce more with OBJ, Landry, Hunt, and Chubb. 

It all comes down to resiliency to me.  Baker got scared from all the hits he took in the first season.  Darnold also has been knocked around and hasn’t learned to trust his guys.  

Allen has never given up, has amazing support from his coaches (who’ve remained consistent) and has been on a 3 year plan.  

Talent is a part of it, but it’s not the only part 

• Like (+1) 9

6 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

Josh Rosen?😉

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It all comes down to resiliency to me.  Baker got scared from all the hits he took in the first season.  Darnold also has been knocked around and hasn’t learned to trust his guys.  

Allen has never given up, has amazing support from his coaches (who’ve remained consistent) and has been on a 3 year plan.  

Talent is a part of it, but it’s not the only part 

Heart. Allen has ALOT of it. 

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You give Darnold what we gave Allen and he might be just as good.  He looked pretty bad today though.  I'm starting to question the Gase is a QB whisperer narrative.

Darnold doesn't need Gase's horse-whispering he needs Father Merrin to get rid of Gase's ghosts.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

Your not kidding. Nationally, Josh is  not respected.

After this week, we will hear about overthrows and fumbles and blah, blah , blah.

Meanwhile, Brady and Brees and Wentze looked like unpolished Turds and they will have excuse after excuse made for them.

Josh isn’t perfect but he can be a 60 + percent passer With escapability built in.

16 minutes ago, Eastcoastlegacy said:

You look at production, we put real receivers on the field with him, brown, diggs taking coverage and these guys are open.   He hits them.  Very happy with production he can produce despite the rushes.  Don’t but him in he thaw place to do TOO MuCH and FUmBLE and he has it.

Dude what happened on the last sentence?!?!?!?!?  You good???  This is like the second time I have seen a coherent start and a dyslexic finish.  Hope you are OK!!

JA has THE Process.  Darnold/Baker/Rosen have had the flushing sound around them.  Altho Baker IS surrounded by superior weapons that for some reason he can't win with.  I expect a rebound for Baker......Darnold?  New coach needed and the stability.  Rosen?  Practice Squad?  See ya!!!