How not to protect your blue chip franchise QB

Simon

I'm still stunned by this franchise's cavalier attitude toward protecting their young franchise QB. This has been an ongoing issue since the Bills drafted him, whether it's throwing him out there behind an historically inept OLine, surrounding him with smurf WR's and no legitimate TE's or calling up plays that put him in harms way over and over and over again. You don't get players like this at the QB position very often (hell it took us a quarter of a century to replace Jim Kelly) and when you do you make sure you keep them healthy and put them into position to succeed. For the first time in his career Josh Allen has a legitimate NFL offense around him but they still seem intent on piling up hits on this kid at an unsustainable pace.

This is the best team the Bill have put on the field in 25 years and it is all going to go to waste if Josh Allen gets hurt. Daboll is clearly incapable of controlling himself on Sundays so imo it falls unto McDermott to do it for him. He needs to grab his OC by the earlobe and drag him into his office tomorrow morning and tell him to tone it down with the read option nonsense. Allen has a propensity to take off and make plays with his feet if he doesn't like what he sees downfield, and that is fine. But it also means he's going to take plenty of shots over the course of the season and the last thing Daboll should be doing is adding to that butcher's bill with a bunch of designed QB carries. I don't care if it's an advantageous matchup, if they continue to rely on it, it will eventually cost them what should be their best year in decades. Just tell him he gets two calls a game where he can use Allen as a ball-carrying option and that's it. There's enough talent on this offense to move the chains in other ways; don't rely on doing it in a manner that's eventually going to end your season.

• Like (+1) 29
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 11

agree 100% 

I was totally baffled at some of those playcalls, Josh actually got hurt on that 2nd fumble, he was slow to get up and was limping a bit after taking a shot to his knee. imagine if that was his ACL, out for the season on massive rehab that could have potentially derailed his entire career. 

all because we have an OC who can't call a consistant gameplan. Mcdermott needs to show some responsibility and tell Daboll enough with the designed runs. 1-2 a game is nice in the redzone or short yardage. Allen runs enough on undesigned plays where he has to pick up yards. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Don’t forget no QB coach or veteran backup his first year.  That was criminal negligence.

Davis culley was a D1 QB and knows plenty about the qb position. just because he spent the majority of his career as a wide receiver coach doesn't mean he knows nothing about the position

I don't mind Josh Allen run plays, it's what makes him so dangerous; same for Lamar Jackson, Randall Cunningham, etc.  However, I believe Daboll deserves criticism for the calling the play that led to the second fumble. It was Josh's fault for fumbling but it was a dumb and unnecessary call at that point of the game. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It appears to be the new NFL approach.  Lamar Jackson rushed for over 75 yards, Kyler Murray is over 100 yards rushing, and Cam Newton had 15 rushing attempts today.  While I cringe when Allen runs the ball since I don't have much faith in Barkley, it's a different league now so I don't see it changing.  Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

The crazy thing is JA showed amazing pocket awareness today. Heads above anything he has ever consistently shown in any game before.

He also showed the ability to find open receivers and take what was given. 
    It WAS criminal to call that many designed runs and that many options. 
    I’ve been saying is since before last season and I hated seeing it Today when it wasn't necessary And detrimental 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree...you are up 21-3 at halftime and Allen leads the team in carries at the end of the day.  Yea the Jets have a good D line but come on you are going to kill your QB.  If Allen goes down long term - season over.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Everytime i see a run designed play for JA, it makes me think the franchise doesn't value JA as a franchise QB.  He took some big hits today.

JA needs to stop taking hits on his scrambles.  The designed runs need to stop.  This kid could be our franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1