A Few Thought about the Jets game, in no particular order

Virgil

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Brown had a great game. 

Diggs is everything as advertised.... Still wish we had an explosive player in the back field....would make this offense even more explosive. Moss just came across as extremely slow to hit the hole. Slow feet.

This was quite apparent.  Moss was indeed slow hitting the hole.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No drama.The analysis this week will focus on Josh running too much and the RBs too little.  This should be no surprise--it was discussed the entire game.  Why pretend otherwise?

We attacked their weaknesses and that Nullified their biggest strength the game plan succeeded, its painfully obvious. 

Go Bills!!!

But how hot is Daboll's seat?

Another part of Allen's game that was impressive was his movement in the pocket.  There were multiple times he sensed guys coming and avoided them (sometimes with great athleticism) while keeping his eyes downfield and looking for receivers, not just bailing and taking off.  One thing is for sure - Josh is going to be a marked man the rest of the year anytime he is running the ball - defenders are going to be attacking him trying to jar the ball loose - with attacking inevitably coinciding with hitting very hard.  I could do with less runs going forward.

Moss to me needs to get used to the higher level of defender in the NFL - hopefully will be more effective over time.  Definitely saw a contrast with the speed/elusiveness when Singletary had the ball.  It's good that Moss seems to be a good receiver out of the backfield as advertised.

I was surprised after game that Diggs had better stats than Brown, when Brown seemed to be all over the place during the game.  Brown looked so good - and dang Diggs was impressive too.  Will be fun watching the passing game this year.

Bills org needs to work on their fake fan noise.  Talk to someone in the NHL to see how to do it.  Could barely tell - although it might have gotten better as the game went on (no Shout song?).  At one point I thought the announcer said there was both fake noise from the stadium, but also the NFL was piping in noise on the feeds?  First I ever heard of that.

Brady's pick six was the cherry on a great day of football.

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

Life in a COVID world definitely has made the build up to this season feel different.  We saw players on the field today that we didn't get to see in either preseason games or practice.  We didn't get to tailgate or even get together in person for fantasy football drafts.  All of a sudden, the Bills are just there on TV, and the season has begun.  It almost feels strange to be writing this, because I still don't feel like I'm in my normal rhythm.  But it's not just that.  I'm about to write some things that I've never written before.  It makes me thankful that I've made myself wait a few hours before writing these reviews, so that I can let it all sink in.  With that being said....

Probably your best write up, yet, Virg.  I only disagree about Daboll.  Everything else, we see eye to eye.  Thanks for taking the time, man.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Screen game was 1000% better compared to last year. Hope they keep that up; as we’ve seen with Brady that can kill a pass rush and keep a D off balance.

Screen game was the best today I have seen out of a bills team in like 20 years. Seriously. This team historically has been terrible at them, and they ran 3 or 4 great RB screens and 2-3 great WR ones today. Hope we see more of that. 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Screen game was the best today I have seen out of a bills team in like 20 years. Seriously. This team historically has been terrible at them, and they ran 3 or 4 great RB screens and 2-3 great WR ones today. Hope we see more of that. 

The middle TE screen to Knox was excellent call and execution. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Run game:  Moss had 9 caries for 11 yards (7 on one carry).  He was a zero factor.  Same with Singletary.  This against a weak Jets D.  This needs to be figured out before October.

"Same with Singletary", except that Motor had 9 carries for 30 yards and 3 first downs #firstdownsmatter

"Weak Jets D": Williams had the Jets D #2 vs the run last year.  His D's I believe are typically pretty stout against the run, and in this instance my impression is that he basically came into the game with the philosophy "we're going to do what it takes to shut down the run and force Josh Allen to be a QB"

To which the answer seems to be "Go ahead and force Josh Allen to be a QB", which I think will be noted by DCs around the league.

45 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Another part of Allen's game that was impressive was his movement in the pocket.  There were multiple times he sensed guys coming and avoided them (sometimes with great athleticism) while keeping his eyes downfield and looking for receivers, not just bailing and taking off.  One thing is for sure - Josh is going to be a marked man the rest of the year anytime he is running the ball - defenders are going to be attacking him trying to jar the ball loose - with attacking inevitably coinciding with hitting very hard.  I could do with less runs going forward.

I could do with less QB runs going forward as well, but I think Josh was a marked man last year and he still managed to cut way back on the fumbling problem.

He needs a refresher course on when/how to curl up around the ball and go down.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

No drama.The analysis this week will focus on Josh running too much and the RBs too little.  This should be no surprise--it was discussed the entire game.  Why pretend otherwise?

The big upset for me  this week with Josh's running (outside of taking too many hits) is that he was our only consistent threat on the ground. The RB room was beyond tough defense terrible today. Unsure if it is the OL, or maybe it is just some color as to why DS was not used more often last year, or maybe this is what you get with slow RB's and tough DL's in the NFL. Either way, it was attrocious. 

If you take out the "long" runs from Singletary (12 yards) and Moss (7 Yards), their numbers are:

Singletary: 8 carries- 18 years- 2.25 ypa

Moss- 8 carries- 4 yards- 0,5 ypa

Woof

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The majority of the lack of running game is because the OC ran the 2 RBs a combined 18 times.  

This Jets D is without it's 2 best players from last season.  

Who were their two best players last year?  Pretty sure their 2nd best player, Maye, is back.  Adams was the best.  Unless you’re counting CJ Mosley their 2nd best player.  The guy that contributed 2 games to that very good run D

i do agree That our run game sucked. I thought our OL was bleh vs the run, but one must take into account the opposition and what they do best.  It must improve if we’re going to win a SB

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

Josh was excellent, but I think that we all know that if he keeps running this much (14 carries/57 yards) he is going to get hurt.  This would be THE last thing we need because the kid has the potential to be great.

Did you see the sliding catch by Diggs in the first half? The timing was unbelieveable. It probably won't even be a highlight but it should be. The man slid into the football!

A division win is always big despite the level of competition.

GO Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Run game:  Moss had 9 caries for 11 yards (7 on one carry).  He was a zero factor.  Same with Singletary.  This against a weak Jets D.  This needs to be figured out before October.

I think Greggo's strategy was to load the box & make Allen beat him, which he did.  Credit Dabol for letting Josh sling the ball 46 times yesterday & having faith in his young QB.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Probably your best write up, yet, Virg.  I only disagree about Daboll.  Everything else, we see eye to eye.  Thanks for taking the time, man.

What’s funny to me is, I felt like this was one of my worst write ups.  I didn’t get into a groove at all and felt that it came off very generic.  

Yet, it’s gotten the 2nd most positive feedback to our first playoff clinching recap.  It’s amazing what a little ‘Bills win and Josh throws over 300 yards’ will do for peoples mood 

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

What’s funny to me is, I felt like this was one of my worst write ups.  I didn’t get into a groove at all and felt that it came off very generic.  

Yet, it’s gotten the 2nd most positive feedback to our first playoff clinching recap.  It’s amazing what a little ‘Bills win and Josh throws over 300 yards’ will do for peoples mood 

I am actually softening my stance on Daboll.  Bottom line is that Josh spread the ball, was accurate and the team moved the ball and scored when they executed.  He called a really good game.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am actually softening my stance on Daboll.  Bottom line is that Josh spread the ball, was accurate and the team moved the ball and scored when they executed.  He called a really good game.

I'm right there with you.  People are complaining about the called Allen runs, but if you take away one negative play and the fumbles (not Daboll's fault), they were all positive gains and solid plays.  An OC calls plays based off what he's seeing and the defense is giving him.  I don't expect this every single week from him.

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Huh?

Fumbles were an issue all year for him. He never cut down on them....the other team just didn’t recover them as much.

Incorrect.  

I don’t care to retype:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/226674-mmqb-why-the-bills-are-where-they-are/?do=findComment&comment=6706112

Or you could look at his game logs on pro-football-reference and then go back and find each fumble in the game film and assess for yourself 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'm right there with you.  People are complaining about the called Allen runs, but if you take away one negative play and the fumbles (not Daboll's fault), they were all positive gains and solid plays.  An OC calls plays based off what he's seeing and the defense is giving him.  I don't expect this every single week from him.

Allen is on record stating he doesn't settle into a game until he has taken his first hit.  I like the called runs and Allen didn't take much contact on most of them.  His biggest hits were ones to the head and the awkward shot at his ankles while he was in the pocket.  He simply needs to hold on to the ball.  Fumbling can be corrected.  Tiki Barber knows all about that.

The offense opened the game with empty backfields. I believe they attempted one run on the first drive.  Daboll's plan was to attack a weak Jets secondary and he did it all game.  Greggo's plan was to stop the run and keep Allen contained, make Allen win with QB play.  Allen made them pay all day long.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Allen is on record stating he doesn't settle into a game until he has taken his first hit.  I like the called runs and Allen didn't take much contact on most of them.  His biggest hits were ones to the head and the awkward shot at his ankles while he was in the pocket.  He simply needs to hold on to the ball.  Fumbling can be corrected.  Tiki Barber knows all about that.

The offense opened the game with empty backfields. I believe they attempted one run on the first drive.  Daboll's plan was to attack a weak Jets secondary and he did it all game.  Greggo's plan was to stop the run and keep Allen contained, make Allen win with QB play.  Allen made them pay all day long.

In his postgame PC, Allen said that re: the first fumble, Allen simply didn't think anyone was behind him - he lost track of the second defender.  On the second fumble he was flipped upside-down and instinctively dropped the ball to brace himself.  Both causes seem correctable in theory...

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The middle TE screen to Knox was excellent call and execution. 

If you add Knox to the receiver group that includes Diggs, Brown and Beasley we have a very talented unit that is able to spread the field. Knox is a very athletic TE who is able to get downfield and spread the field for the other wideouts. What impressed me about the passing game yesterday was the qb was accurate and the receivers were able to come back to the ball and make catches. I thought the biggest beneficiary of Diggs presence was Brown who had more room to work with. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

In his postgame PC, Allen said that re: the first fumble, Allen simply didn't think anyone was behind him - he lost track of the second defender.  On the second fumble he was flipped upside-down and instinctively dropped the ball to brace himself.  Both causes seem correctable in theory...

The first fumble can be corrected (and contrary to the "easy" narrative, it actually was)

The "flipped upsidedown" is harder to correct, and quite possibly shouldn't be.  A fumble is one play that at worst leads to a 2 score difference in one game, but if Josh protects the ball at all costs but lands awkwardly on his head or shoulder, a resulting injury that kept him out for weeks could be far more impactful to the team.

What he needs to do is revisit the need to get down and not take those hits, except for a go-ahead play at the goal line in the playoff game.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The "flipped upsidedown" is harder to correct, and quite possibly shouldn't be.  A fumble is one play that at worst leads to a 2 score difference in one game, but if Josh protects the ball at all costs but lands awkwardly on his head or shoulder, a resulting injury that kept him out for weeks could be far more impactful to the team.

Yes. On that play, the fumble was the least of my concerns.

• Awesome! (+1) 1