A Few Thought about the Jets game, in no particular order

Virgil

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The majority of the lack of running game is because the OC ran the 2 RBs a combined 18 times.  

This Jets D is without it's 2 best players from last season.  

Which two players?  If it's Jamal Adams and Mosely, I would argue that their strength is in the passing game.  Didn't the announcers mention the Jets front four returned pretty much in tact from last year?

Now, having said that, I do agree the Bills run blocking needs to improve.

And Virgil....nice job as usual.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Run game:  Moss had 9 caries for 11 yards (7 on one carry).  He was a zero factor.  Same with Singletary.  This against a weak Jets D.  This needs to be figured out before October.

I genuinely think this was a result of colliding game plans.  I agree, if this become a trend, we have a serious problem 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Which two players?  If it's Jamal Adams and Mosely, I would argue that their strength is in the passing game.  Didn't the announcers mention the Jets front four returned pretty much in tact from last year?

Now, having said that, I do agree the Bills run blocking needs to improve.

And Virgil....nice job as usual.

Great post. And by the way, how much did the Jets really miss Adams? Maye was everywhere today and played Adams role better than Adams.

2 sacks, 2 run stuffs, 2 Passes Defended, a Forced Fumble and 10 total tackles (7-3). That is All Pro S production.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Run game:  Moss had 9 caries for 11 yards (7 on one carry).  He was a zero factor.  Same with Singletary.  This against a weak Jets D.  This needs to be figured out before October.

The defense had a game plan- make Allen best them with his arm. They had 8 guys in the box quite a bit to make sure we could not run. If a defense plays that way there is little you can do on the ground. 

I have mixed feelings about Daboll today.

He made a lot of good play calls and played to Josh Allen's strengths in the passing game. A lot of short to mid-range passes that paid off, and got the Bills into scoring range multiple times.

What I didn't care for were the play calls that had McKenzie wheeling to the backfield several times. It looked like the Arena league, and it did not fool anybody. Stuff like that I find unnecessary. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

He made a lot of good play calls and played to Josh Allen's strengths in the passing game. A lot of short to mid-range passes that paid off, and got the Bills into scoring range multiple times.

What I didn't care for were the play calls that had McKenzie wheeling to the backfield several times. It looked like the Arena league, and it did not fool anybody. Stuff like that I find unnecessary. 

Again, Daboll calls those plays to get linebackers to hesitate, creating intermediate space and setting up similar play calls later in the game.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The RB stat line was ugly, but I've spent years seeing similar numbers in the "rushing column" after longingly gazing at the passing numbers by guys like Rodgers, Ryan, Rivers etc. in those games. 

And Allen gave me some of those numbers today.

If it remains a problem after a weak Miami run defense, I'll start to worry.

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

McKenzie was an option on all of those plays.  The Jets had to at least respect him.  They did call his number with it for a first down later.  

Motion is to both get a WR off press, but also to reveal coverages and to keep options open.  

Coach T said, it’s all a setup. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The majority of the lack of running game is because the OC ran the 2 RBs a combined 18 times.  

This Jets D is without it's 2 best players from last season.  

2 Players who were both in the secondary iirc.  Bottom line I am more pissed that JA took off running on DESIGNED plays.  Dabol bummed me out there.  I had a feeling that the run game would get stuffed today....they did and they did early.  Ya go with what works....aaaannnnnd that woulda been the passing game.  Lets not jump off the edge just yet.  Tho i am gonna if Dabol keeps running JA.

Edited by Kwai San

Excellent write-up!  I love that football is back.

And literally, it has been 2+ decades since I started the season feeling this much confidence.  I usually talk myself into whatever team we have - but when I think back on Mularkey, and Jauron, and Gailey, and the Losman/Edwards debates, and going into Pats games knowing we had zero chance, and all the rest - it's an absolutely exhilarating feeling knowing we are BACK.  

And not with some scraped-together/win now type of team. This is a team with a fantastic core of young players on both sides of the ball, and excellent coaching - built for a long run of success.  And a true franchise QB who wants to win.

I feel like the long years of purgatory are over.  The sun is rising in Buffalo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

See above.

The Bills were outscored in the second half.  Penalties aided the Bills in the first half.  Josh played well, but the play calling won't hold up against better teams.

The Bills won by double digits, the jets run D is top three coming into this season iirc, so the results of the game with in the game were to be expected, your verbiage comes across as an attempt at creating drama where there really is none. 

Go Bills!!!

7 minutes ago, Success said:

Excellent write-up!  I love that football is back.

And literally, it has been 2+ decades since I started the season feeling this much confidence.  I usually talk myself into whatever team we have - but when I think back on Mularkey, and Jauron, and Gailey, and the Losman/Edwards debates, and going into Pats games knowing we had zero chance, and all the rest - it's an absolutely exhilarating feeling knowing we are BACK.  

And not with some scraped-together/win now type of team. This is a team with a fantastic core of young players on both sides of the ball, and excellent coaching - built for a long run of success.  And a true franchise QB who wants to win.

I feel like the long years of purgatory are over.  The sun is rising in Buffalo.

I look back to the Flutie Flakes / Rob Johnson debates as the start of the spiral.......like you I talked myself into what ever was trotted out on the field.  Feeling better but they are still a few solid pieces away just yet.  A fun and exciting team nonetheless but a few more items in the cupboard needed b4 a SB.  Hope I am wrong wrong and wrong again!

Oh and by the way @Virgil many thanks for picking up the mantle and offering your recaps.  It ain't easy and you do a very good job at it.  THANKS again!

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Virgil said:

McKenzie was an option on all of those plays.  The Jets had to at least respect him.  They did call his number with it for a first down later.  

Motion is to both get a WR off press, but also to reveal coverages and to keep options open.  

Coach T said, it’s all a setup. 

No actually it is what Coach Tuesday said above. It is to get the linebackers to lean the wrong way for a split second allowing the o-line a better angle to block.

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I thought Moss looked slow running the ball. 

He was but he pass blocked well and did a great job settling into the open space in the zone for his TD catch.  He set up blockers well on his screen too.  

58 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

You see Reid's offense use that pre snap movement all the time.  It can confuse a defense if executed properly.  The screen play designs were also good to see.  Particularly the one to Knox was impressive.  The designed QB runs were my only problem with his play calling today.  You'll pry see a completely different game plan next week with Daboll.

25 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The Bills won by double digits, the jets run D is top three coming into this season iirc, so the results of the game with in the game were to be expected, your verbiage comes across as an attempt at creating drama where there really is none. 

Go Bills!!!

No drama.The analysis this week will focus on Josh running too much and the RBs too little.  This should be no surprise--it was discussed the entire game.  Why pretend otherwise?