Josh Allen takes a step: 71.7% and 104.6 Passer Rating on 46 passing attempts

https://theathletic.com/2067076/2020/09/15/bills-rewind-10-things-we-learned-from-the-season-opening-win-over-the-jets?source=user-shared-article

Josh Allen by the numbers

Josh Allen had career highs with 33 completions and 312 passing yards on Sunday. He also completed 71 percent of his passes for a tidy stat line through the air.

If it looked like the Bills were sticking with shorter passes, the numbers back that up. Allen had an average of 5.5 air yards on his completions, which was right around the middle of the league’s top performers this week. He also attempted only four passes that traveled 20 or more yards in the air. The good news is Allen completed three of those passes after being one of the league’s worst passers in that range a year ago. It’s a small sample size, but promising nonetheless.

Of Allen’s 46 passing attempts, 12 of them were thrown at or behind the line of scrimmage. Only Aaron Rogers and Kyler Murray attempted more such passes. A year ago, Allen was tied for 21st in the NFL with 79 passes at or behind the line of scrimmage. The addition of Diggs along with rookies Gabriel Davis and running back Zack Moss give the Bills even more options in the screen game. Dawson Knox also caught a screen pass Sunday. It was clearly a point of emphasis in training camp, and now Buffalo has a new wrinkle for its offense. It’s particularly useful when going against a defense like the Jets, coached by Gregg Williams, who loves to blitz.

• Like (+1) 3

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 4:50 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

It was so damn predictable as soon as that play was done.

This morning Cowherd went on some rant about how, unlike Lamar Jackson who he believes will inevitably evolve into a pure pocket passer who doesn't need to run, Josh Allen will ALWAYS need to be an effective runner... and he pointed to that one play as the reason.

Talk about cherry picking. :doh:

Of course, he is also in love with Sam Darnold who was absolutely awful yesterday and wildly missed a ton of passes.

Yea Cowherd (who I like, I find him entertaining and he always tries to justify his opinions even when they are bat sh*t crazy) has a strange love affair with Sam Darnold. He has gone back and forth some on Josh but he is a crazy Darnold lover.

On 9/15/2020 at 12:18 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

So after completing 71 percent of his passes in game one on a career high number of attempts where does everyone think Allen's completion percentage will finish at now? I'm gonna be really optimistic and say at or above 63.0%

That would put his three year progression at 2018- 52.8%   2019- 58.8   2020- 63.0% That would be something.

The best Comp %..in week 1 was 90%.

He finished 10th .....  So he still needs work ????     

Yes,  there is a ton of sarcasm laced in here. Arguing stats is fruitless because no matter what people will argue them.

• Like (+1) 1

71.7% and 104.6 Passer Rating on 46 passing attempts

This is not a step.  This is the destination. Allen has arrived. He is an NFL Franchise QB. He is the Bills' Franchise QB.

All NFL players are evaluated constantly by there front offices. Josh will be like anyone else (including Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes), but for the moment Allen's position with the Bills for the future is as stable as an NFL QBs future can be. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Does anyone remember people gushing over Tyrods great completion %?  

(I do)  

Oh BTW  TT had the worst completion % this past Sunday..  somewhere near low 50's? 

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

71.7% and 104.6 Passer Rating on 46 passing attempts

This is not a step.  This is the destination. Allen has arrived. He is an NFL Franchise QB. He is the Bills' Franchise QB.

All NFL players are evaluated constantly by there front offices. Josh will be like anyone else (including Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes), but for the moment Allen's position with the Bills for the future is as stable as an NFL QBs future can be. 

Another silly stat 

104.6 Passer Rating   158.3 is the best rating to garner.   So again while 104 "looks" good ........  

His QBR was 71.1 out of 100.  

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

27 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Yes,  there is a ton of sarcasm laced in here. Arguing stats is fruitless because no matter what people will argue them.

It was 95% actually. What you gonna do when Minshew Mani runs wild on you.....?

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

As a point of reference the best Comp % was Minshew at 95%. 

Looking at Allen's progress as a passer got me thinking about winning the Div against the one team opposing us.  So I read this article: https://nesn.com/2020/09/patriots-secondary-might-be-even-more-dangerous-after-losing-key-pieces/?src=rss

and came away thinking that Belichick was watching the evolution of Bills personnel, trends, etc. and built his defense accordingly.  Can we be a power running team against them?  They are built to stop the pass, contain running Qb's obviously, they had to adapt to losing pretty much all their LBs.  I know we won't see them until November, but I feel like the die is already cast with our roster and identity, and power running doesn't seem to be there.  On the flip side of that they did build their team for power running to control the clock.  So trying to read the tea leaves, my guess is they defend Allen by taking away his best weapon, keeping everything underneath and putting a spy on him, occasional blitzes while they try to control the clock.  Late season weather could play a role as well (wind, rain, cold).  

I feel like we're built to trade scores with KC, but not grind it out with Tennessee, Baltimore and maybe NE.  Has Allen really progressed to that point yet where he can carry us?

Edited by P Riv

6 hours ago, P Riv said:

Looking at Allen's progress as a passer got me thinking about winning the Div against the one team opposing us.  So I read this article: https://nesn.com/2020/09/patriots-secondary-might-be-even-more-dangerous-after-losing-key-pieces/?src=rss

and came away thinking that Belichick was watching the evolution of Bills personnel, trends, etc. and built his defense accordingly.  Can we be a power running team against them?  They are built to stop the pass, contain running Qb's obviously, they had to adapt to losing pretty much all their LBs.  I know we won't see them until November, but I feel like the die is already cast with our roster and identity, and power running doesn't seem to be there.

We had some of our run blockers inactive and the game plan and personnel were designed specifically to play the Jets. 

Give it some time to see true run capability.

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Cowherd (who I like, I find him entertaining and he always tries to justify his opinions even when they are bat sh*t crazy) has a strange love affair with Sam Darnold. He has gone back and forth some on Josh but he is a crazy Darnold lover.

I feel the same way about Cowherd.

Entertaining, but often a narrow-minded idiot.  I understand why he doesn't take fan calls the way Dan Patrick does because it's often so easy to very simply point out how he's completely contradicted himself.

I actually thought he was one of the few really coming around on Josh and was kinda surprised when he went into a little rant about that missed pass to Brown as proof of why Josh will always need to run.

Just thought it was fun to look back to the QB draft and read an old article quoting Phil Simms about Allen being the right guy for Buffalo.

Not sure where I stood at the time, but know I was wrong about the few convictions I did have. I do recall thinking Rosen might be the more polished prospect out of all of the class, that Mayfield would be a problem-child, and that Jackson was a RB with delusions of playing QB - a flash in the pan. 

"The popular case made for Rosen is that he's far more polished than Allen and has a better grasp of the nuances of the position.

Skeptical Bills fans are wary of the rawness of Allen's game, concluding that the team's decision-makers allowed his 6-foot-5, 237-pound frame and powerful arm overshadow his lack of accuracy. They also question the fact Allen not only wasn't dominant enough against the lower level of competition Wyoming faced but struggled against larger schools."

Simms' advice to Bills loyalists who'd rather have seen them peg a different future franchise quarterback?

"Don't be second-guessers," he said. "This is the guy that fits Buffalo. He's big, he's mobile, he's meant to live in Antarctica. He's got the fur, he can survive."

"Josh Rosen, yeah, he's very polished, but he's a little frail, he's not mobile. Josh Rosen, for the first year or so, he might be the better quarterback. But Josh Allen's not going to get smaller, he can take the punishment. He might slow down, but he's still going to be faster than all these quarterbacks we're talking about except Lamar Jackson."

"And he's got (the ability to make) all the throws on the move, which is really important in the NFL. Not that Josh Rosen doesn't have those; it's just not in him to try it that often. And the NFL is this now: everybody is moving to throw the ball. Tom Brady moves out of the pocket and feels that hole or that gap in the defense, he moves to it – right, left and whatever – to make the throw. That is just part of the game and I don't think you can have great success in the league unless you do that."

Simms is not calling Allen a perfect quarterback. Far from it. His analysis of Allen's Pro Day video showed, while Allen's skills are more refined than his critics might believe, they're not refined enough.

"He has got an unbelievable arm, but there are a few things that he needs to do to really be a machine at quarterback, that he must fix," Simms said.

Two of the biggest are:

*Occasionally allowing his arm to get "a little bit too long" in his delivery. "If his hand gets too far away from his shoulders, it goes backward sometimes," Simms said. "Nobody in pro football has success doing that. Yeah, there's probably one or two (exceptions). Russell Wilson winds up and throws it like he's a baseball player, but he has huge hands, grips the ball different from everybody else and he makes it work."

*Using his feet to create a "smaller space" from where he throws. "Your right foot (for a right-handed passer) must be under you," Simms said. "That will make him a great short thrower. You can't just say, 'Oh, I'm going to give it touch' and slow your arm down. You've got to turn and be aggressive and (having the proper footwork helps allow) you to fire that ball in there and it's got to be laser-sharp and perfect."

How long will it take Allen to make those corrections?

"All he has to be is shown (what to do) and then five minutes later, he's going to go, 'Got it,' " Simms said. "And that's it."

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 9/14/2020 at 5:40 PM, JMF2006 said:

If he plays like that every game and doesn't fumble the Bills may never lose another game :) 

Josh is 11-0 for the Bills (Ignore the year ending Jets game)  when his completion % was 60% or more.   So his winning mantra is clear!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Just thought it was fun to look back to the QB draft and read an old article quoting Phil Simms about Allen being the right guy for Buffalo.

Not sure where I stood at the time, but know I was wrong about the few convictions I did have. I do recall thinking Rosen might be the more polished prospect out of all of the class, that Mayfield would be a problem-child, and that Jackson was a RB with delusions of playing QB - a flash in the pan. 

"The popular case made for Rosen is that he's far more polished than Allen and has a better grasp of the nuances of the position.

Skeptical Bills fans are wary of the rawness of Allen's game, concluding that the team's decision-makers allowed his 6-foot-5, 237-pound frame and powerful arm overshadow his lack of accuracy. They also question the fact Allen not only wasn't dominant enough against the lower level of competition Wyoming faced but struggled against larger schools."

Simms' advice to Bills loyalists who'd rather have seen them peg a different future franchise quarterback?

"Don't be second-guessers," he said. "This is the guy that fits Buffalo. He's big, he's mobile, he's meant to live in Antarctica. He's got the fur, he can survive."

"Josh Rosen, yeah, he's very polished, but he's a little frail, he's not mobile. Josh Rosen, for the first year or so, he might be the better quarterback. But Josh Allen's not going to get smaller, he can take the punishment. He might slow down, but he's still going to be faster than all these quarterbacks we're talking about except Lamar Jackson."

"And he's got (the ability to make) all the throws on the move, which is really important in the NFL. Not that Josh Rosen doesn't have those; it's just not in him to try it that often. And the NFL is this now: everybody is moving to throw the ball. Tom Brady moves out of the pocket and feels that hole or that gap in the defense, he moves to it – right, left and whatever – to make the throw. That is just part of the game and I don't think you can have great success in the league unless you do that."

Simms is not calling Allen a perfect quarterback. Far from it. His analysis of Allen's Pro Day video showed, while Allen's skills are more refined than his critics might believe, they're not refined enough.

"He has got an unbelievable arm, but there are a few things that he needs to do to really be a machine at quarterback, that he must fix," Simms said.

Two of the biggest are:

*Occasionally allowing his arm to get "a little bit too long" in his delivery. "If his hand gets too far away from his shoulders, it goes backward sometimes," Simms said. "Nobody in pro football has success doing that. Yeah, there's probably one or two (exceptions). Russell Wilson winds up and throws it like he's a baseball player, but he has huge hands, grips the ball different from everybody else and he makes it work."

*Using his feet to create a "smaller space" from where he throws. "Your right foot (for a right-handed passer) must be under you," Simms said. "That will make him a great short thrower. You can't just say, 'Oh, I'm going to give it touch' and slow your arm down. You've got to turn and be aggressive and (having the proper footwork helps allow) you to fire that ball in there and it's got to be laser-sharp and perfect."

How long will it take Allen to make those corrections?

"All he has to be is shown (what to do) and then five minutes later, he's going to go, 'Got it,' " Simms said. "And that's it."

Whoa good find! I never read that!

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Whoa good find! I never read that!

Thanks - glad you liked that.

I heard a lot of what Chris Simms has had to say about Allen the past few years, but after I heard Simms senior say last Sunday that he thought that Allen was one of only 10 or so active QBs in the league capable of handling the tricky winds and conditions in Buffalo I wanted to see if there was any other thoughts from Phil back when Allen was drafted.

Found that article (I had not read that before either) and thought he was pretty spot on regarding both Allen and Rosen.

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I feel the same way about Cowherd.

Same. A lot of shock value with Cowherd but I enjoy listening to him for the most part.

Cowherd's bet of the week was also Cleveland -6

It was dicey but I'm glad I went with my gut and took Bengals +6

Good lord is that Bengals defense bad though. But looks like Burrow is the real deal.