Josh Allen takes a step: 71.7% and 104.6 Passer Rating on 46 passing attempts

2 minutes ago, Ecmic82 said:

2-3 on passes over 20 yards. Had another free play deep pass to brown that probably shouldn’t been caught. The pass to Beasley could’ve been better, but that was the type of pass he might’ve missed last year. Great drop-in 22 yarder to Diggs. 24% on 20+ yarders last year.

Used snap-count to draw Jets offside on important third down.

Looked like he audibled the play that resulted in Brown’s touchdown.

designed passes stayed pass plays - which showed me that maybe he’s done a lot of work on going through progressions.

Great decision making overall I thought. How many third down throws did he make that were well placed a yard or two past the marker? How many plays did Allen make where you asked, “Why on Earth did you decide to do THAT, Josh”? For me, barely any.

Maybe my expectations are too low, but all I care to see is meaningful forward progress from Allen, and I saw that yesterday, especially in the two areas he NEEDED to improve upon - deep throws and decision making.

I am happy.

Disagree on the bolded. But I call it a solid B. Grading on a scale of how good I expect him to be and the Bills this year. 

designed passes stayed pass plays - which showed me that maybe he’s done a lot of work on going through progressions. (Decent number of plays he turned into scrambles; Without seeing film hard to say if many of the checkdowns were right decision or not making the open throw.)

Great decision making overall I thought. How many third down throws did he make that were well placed a yard or two past the marker? How many plays did Allen make where you asked, “Why on Earth did you decide to do THAT, Josh”? For me, barely any. (Not many but a few second half wtf moments.)

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Yesterday's game. You said it - one game. As I said - Josh has the well deserved reputation based on his NFL and College stats as being inaccurate. He needs to earn a new reputation. One game does not change that. Do you think it should?

Nobody questions this doesn't happen. Difference is this is showing examples of guys that have won the MVP and are proven passers making bad passes vs a guy that has yet to prove that he can be an accurate passer. Its like the guy that is late to work a few times a week is late and says but everyone is late once in awhile. Yes, true but for them its the exception not the norm. Allen needs to earn a reputation and until then it is what he is. 

I'm not sure how anyone watched Allen yesterday and didn't see significant improvement in his his overall throwing and accuracy, especially over his college days. He was hitting people in stride, throwing receivers open, and threading a couple of needles. Yes, there is always room for improvement, and quite honestly I wish they'd stop with the designed run plays, but the quarterback I saw yesterday was WAY improved over the guy I saw near the end of last year.

I suspect you're not going to be convinced until he wins a game that means something to you.  But given that there were no preseason games and this was the team's first real action, you'd be hard pressed to ask for more clear and obvious improvements from your quarterback than what Allen did yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, ngbills said:

Disagree on the bolded. But I call it a solid B. Grading on a scale of how good I expect him to be and the Bills this year. 

designed passes stayed pass plays - which showed me that maybe he’s done a lot of work on going through progressions. (Decent number of plays he turned into scrambles; Without seeing film hard to say if many of the checkdowns were right decision or not making the open throw.)

Great decision making overall I thought. How many third down throws did he make that were well placed a yard or two past the marker? How many plays did Allen make where you asked, “Why on Earth did you decide to do THAT, Josh”? For me, barely any. (Not many but a few second half wtf moments.)

I counted 4 scramble runs on 50 designed passes. Not a high rate of scrambling in my opinion. And eminently reasonable in the modern NFL.

would like to hear the specific WTF moments, and why you didn’t think his decision making was great overall.

Edited by Ecmic82

Just now, Ecmic82 said:

I counted 3 scramble runs on 49 designed passes. Not a high rate of scrambling in my opinion.

would like to hear the specific WTF moments, and why you didn’t think his decision making was great overall.

The almost INT after the Brown miss is the big one for me.  He was rolling and backpedaling to his right and threw it up into coverage.  We missed the FG anyway, but plays like that take points off the board.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

The almost INT after the Brown miss is the big one for me.  He was rolling and backpedaling to his right and threw it up into coverage.  We missed the FG anyway, but plays like that take points off the board.  

That was one. The Beasley one probably shouldn’t have been thrown but it was thrown in a pretty safe spot.

I guess it’s a matter of starting expectation. I though Allen’s decision-making was great despite that throw, while others might view his overall decision-making as less than great because of that throw. I think that’s a bar too high for ANYONE to meet.

Edited by Ecmic82

Overall solid game by Josh yesterday. As other mentions, he just has to secure the ball better when running. On the scoring misses to Knox and Brown, he just needs to slow down. When he rolled out he had ample time to set and throw it. Hopefully the coaching staff continues to reinforce in practice.  Make no mistake Josh isn’t a game manager QB and his arrow is trending straight up. Teams now will have to account for his passing AND running which only opens up options on the offense.

Bottomline if the Bills played a perfect game yesterday they win 45-3. I’d rather they get the win and come away with some additional items to improve so they are well prepared for the top tier teams!

Love VICTORY Monday’s!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I am always puzzled by how he is so bad with it given his size and strength.  

But, I do think its very much about him not be a natural RB and his muscle memory isn't there yet on having a feel on keeping that ball high and tight.  He is so competitive and I think his focus tends to lean on getting more yards and running away from people and that is when his ball security is sloppy.  Josh is good at covering it up when he sees the contact coming, but he just doesn't seem to wrap it up fast enough when in traffic before he realizes he is about to get hit.  Couple that with his reputation for fumbling, and defenders are focusing on punching that ball out every time too.  

Agree and maybe besides muscle memory, it's plain old brain memory, being the first game he forgot how often he'd had it stripped out last season.  He did improve as the year went by on the fumbling, will be interesting to see next week.

Wouldn't be shocked either of Dabo gets a talking too from McD about not calling so many runs and putting him positions to be hit.  You wonder WRT the gameplan how much of the specific is McD aware of.  Like does he know how many times Dabo plan to call a run.  Likely that's not even known prior by Dabo, may more just happen.  But McD may tell him to makei happen much less.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Foxx said:

like most here, i loved Allen's game yesterday. there is no question that he has come a long way from when he entered the league to where he is today.

just a note of caution though, this was the first game of a unprecedented off season. one where there were no preseason games and teams with not a whole lot of continuity are going to have initial pains getting into their groove. that being said, the talent difference out there on the field yesterday was stark. if not for the few miscues we had (though to be fair, every team has them), it would have been over at the half. give it a month, we will have a better idea what level we are at after the Dolphins, Rams and Raiders games and for sure will know where we are after the Titans and Chiefs games.

additionally, i think an argument could be made for Josh's fumbles counting against his passer rating. which i think is partly what ESPN's QBR does. he was 13th in the league yesterday at 71.2. with 4 QB's still to be evaluated tonight, he is middle of the pack either way at this point.

this reminds me

our schedule is insanely brutal this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

1. Brown end-zone
  2. Beasley down the seam, an underthrown completion would be a TD if he leads him
  3. Out route to Brown in the 3rd quarter, threw it right into the ground 10ft short with a clean pocket
  4. Knox
  5. He forced a couple in the end-zone that should've been picked

Judas Priest it figures that on a day when Allen had one of if not his best passing performances folks would come out of the woodwork and analyze EVERY freaking throw for signs of imperfection. 

If you watch ANY NFL game you will ALWAYS see crappy passes now and then.  Just like you see dropped passes or missed FG's or sloppy tackling or missed blocks or guys going offside on a hard count.  NO QB, including even the best like Mahomes could withstand this level of bat feces crazy scrutiny.

I get that non-Bills fans looking to have some fun with a good troll would come on here and spout this stuff but why would any Bills fan?  Especially after yesterday?  Psychologists probably have a term for this.  But I'll use the non-medical term of calling them "sad sacks".

50 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Lol. Pro Bowl and SUPER BOWL QBs 

are allowed to have those bad passes but not Josh 

and this is why these arguments are fruitless 

it’s like :wallbash:

I pointed out that overthrow yesterday but I am certainly not harping on it. Allen played excellent overall. The fumbles could be opening day nerves; I hope they are at least. Not something to worry about yet. 

bottom line for me is Allen improved year 1 to year 2 and i expect the same 2 to 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Judas Priest it figures that on a day when Allen had one of if not his best passing performances folks would come out of the woodwork and analyze EVERY freaking throw for signs of imperfection. 

If you watch ANY NFL game you will ALWAYS see crappy passes now and then.  Just like you see dropped passes or missed FG's or sloppy tackling or missed blocks or guys going offside on a hard count.  NO QB, including even the best like Mahomes could withstand this level of bat feces crazy scrutiny.

I get that non-Bills fans looking to have some fun with a good troll would come on here and spout this stuff but why would any Bills fan?  Especially after yesterday?  Psychologists probably have a term for this.  But I'll use the non-medical term of calling them "sad sacks".

...can't criticize JA now?  I was responding to a post that said he had 1 bad throw.... jebus.   

The thing that separates elite QBs from good QBs is ball placement.    JA will tell you himself that he needs to improve in that area.    You can get away with those throws against a team like the Jets and still win.    You can't get away those throws in a barn-burner against the Chiefs and expect to win.   Do better.

On 9/13/2020 at 3:14 PM, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I’m not. I just turned 41 ugh . I have seen 20 years of mediocre qbs come through here.. I’ve embraced him and love the unpredictability with him. I’m ride or die with Josh. Football is fun again!

Same age and same thoughts here. He’s a passionate passionate man. He’s got full command of the offense and I am as confident in him as I would be with anyone. Love this kid

Josh is that guy that throws the first punch. That’s the kind of quarterback we have wanted and he’s the guy we need. Keep it up Josh, you are a man amongst boys

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, SCBills said:

That Brown miss was heaven sent for the Allen haters.   If he just two hand shovels it to Brown, it’s completed and Allen now has 4 total TD’s as we eclipse 30 points.   

That miss gave them a visual to cling to and, along with a garbage time TD, made the game look about 1,000 times closer than it actually was. 

Sam Monson immediately tweets it out, completely disregarding 33/46 - 312. 

It was so damn predictable as soon as that play was done.

This morning Cowherd went on some rant about how, unlike Lamar Jackson who he believes will inevitably evolve into a pure pocket passer who doesn't need to run, Josh Allen will ALWAYS need to be an effective runner... and he pointed to that one play as the reason.

Talk about cherry picking. :doh:

Of course, he is also in love with Sam Darnold who was absolutely awful yesterday and wildly missed a ton of passes.

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He had a perfect deep ball on a free play when the Jets jumped Offside but Brown dropped it. If Diggs was there it would have been about a 30 yard completion.

Thanks for pointing this one out!

That one kinda gnawed at me but I was riding the high of the victory.

That play was a great example of Allen’s progress in terms of both game awareness and deep ball accuracy.

Brown should've caught that.

8 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

To wit...

The Brady one might have been intentionally high because of the coverage, but I wish tons of people would Twitter blast that Mahomes pass to Sam Monson and Colin Cowherd and whoever points to that missed pass to John Brown as "welp... that’s just who Josh Allen is!"

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Thanks for pointing this one out!

That one kinda gnawed at me but I was riding the high of the victory.

That play was a great example of Allen’s progress in terms of both game awareness and deep ball accuracy.

Brown should've caught that.

I think I'm the only one on the board that feels this way but John Brown is overrated by Bills fans. We went so long without remotely competent WR play that he looks like a #1 WR in comparison. But there's a reason he's been a #2/#3 option his entire career. He makes too many mistakes on big plays and is just average at escaping man coverage. That being said he will be the beneficiary of Diggs drawing coverage and Allen's arm strength so I expect him to have a big year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I think I'm the only one on the board that feels this way but John Brown is overrated by Bills fans. We went so long without remotely competent WR play that he looks like a #1 WR in comparison. But there's a reason he's been a #2/#3 option his entire career. He makes too many mistakes on big plays and is just average at escaping man coverage. That being said he will be the beneficiary of Diggs drawing coverage and Allen's arm strength so I expect him to have a big year.

Oh I completely agree.

Brown is not a #1.

But I am VERY happy with Diggs, Brown and Beasley as our top 3 WRs and I'm excited to see what Davis can do.

So after completing 71 percent of his passes in game one on a career high number of attempts where does everyone think Allen's completion percentage will finish at now? I'm gonna be really optimistic and say at or above 63.0%

That would put his three year progression at 2018- 52.8%   2019- 58.8   2020- 63.0% That would be something.