Josh Allen takes a step: 71.7% and 104.6 Passer Rating on 46 passing attempts

15 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

My feelings are torn after today.  He exudes such greatness then follows with mass disappointment. 

Right now I feel really good, but am still very concerned. 

If the greatness exuding has gone up, and the head scratching remains a constant, that is still improvement.

like most here, i loved Allen's game yesterday. there is no question that he has come a long way from when he entered the league to where he is today.

just a note of caution though, this was the first game of a unprecedented off season. one where there were no preseason games and teams with not a whole lot of continuity are going to have initial pains getting into their groove. that being said, the talent difference out there on the field yesterday was stark. if not for the few miscues we had (though to be fair, every team has them), it would have been over at the half. give it a month, we will have a better idea what level we are at after the Dolphins, Rams and Raiders games and for sure will know where we are after the Titans and Chiefs games.

additionally, i think an argument could be made for Josh's fumbles counting against his passer rating. which i think is partly what ESPN's QBR does. he was 13th in the league yesterday at 71.2. with 4 QB's still to be evaluated tonight, he is middle of the pack either way at this point.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

My feelings are torn after today.  He exudes such greatness then follows with mass disappointment. 

Right now I feel really good, but am still very concerned. 

I must’ve missed the “mass disappointment”.

I mean, I saw mistakes, but mostly I saw thorough and utter dominance over a lesser foe.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen showed he is a playmaker who  is capable of commanding a dominant offense.   He could have folded on himself after those fumbles and the missed pass to Brown.  He didn't fold though.   He didn't crumble from his own mistakes.   He is mentally tough and I love it.

Instead of bowing his head, getting rattled and playing a crappy rest of the game - the dude played through the end of the game like a confident leader who knew he and his team were the better team that day.   He had/has the mentality of a champion in my humble opinion.

I am excited to see how good this team will look when they play their best game of the year.   I can think of three specific times I would like to see that happen 

1) Against the Patriots

2) Against the Chiefs

3) Anytime post regular season

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Best throw was the touch pass to Diggs that let him keep running for YAC. That's the sort of throw he could never make his rookie year.

Agreed. That was an issue last year as well. Even on the few deep passes Allen connected on, the ball placement usually didn't allow for much more than the catch itself. 

But if he can place passes to these targets that allow them to rack up YAC, this offense will become exponentially more dangerous. 

19 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Allen only had one bad pass IMO and that was missing Brown for the TD.

1. Brown end-zone
  2. Beasley down the seam, an underthrown completion would be a TD if he leads him
  3. Out route to Brown in the 3rd quarter, threw it right into the ground 10ft short with a clean pocket
  4. Knox
  5. He forced a couple in the end-zone that should've been picked

20 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It's hard to understand how Allan can carry the ball so loosely.  He's one of the biggest strongest guys on the field, but you think by now he learn that he needs to better protect it and cradle it to his body.  There were a couple other times, he could have just as easily fumbled it based on how he was carrying it.  

Maybe it's a case of WR and RB have enough experience running with the ball and defenders trying to strip it, that they just naturally protect it better.  Josh with more limited times running with the ball, he is used to doing it against other who are much weaker so he can get away with it, but not in the NFL.

Yeah, I am always puzzled by how he is so bad with it given his size and strength.  

But, I do think its very much about him not be a natural RB and his muscle memory isn't there yet on having a feel on keeping that ball high and tight.  He is so competitive and I think his focus tends to lean on getting more yards and running away from people and that is when his ball security is sloppy.  Josh is good at covering it up when he sees the contact coming, but he just doesn't seem to wrap it up fast enough when in traffic before he realizes he is about to get hit.  Couple that with his reputation for fumbling, and defenders are focusing on punching that ball out every time too.  

11 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

To wit...

Nobody questions this doesn't happen. Difference is this is showing examples of guys that have won the MVP and are proven passers making bad passes vs a guy that has yet to prove that he can be an accurate passer. Its like the guy that is late to work a few times a week is late and says but everyone is late once in awhile. Yes, true but for them its the exception not the norm. Allen needs to earn a reputation and until then it is what he is. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Nobody questions this doesn't happen. Difference is this is showing examples of guys that have won the MVP and are proven passers making bad passes vs a guy that has yet to prove that he can be an accurate passer. Its like the guy that is late to work a few times a week is late and says but everyone is late once in awhile. Yes, true but for them its the exception not the norm. Allen needs to earn a reputation and until then it is what he is. 

What about yesterday's game has you under the impression Allen is inaccurate? Was it the 70%+ completion rate?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

1. Brown end-zone
  2. Beasley down the seam, an underthrown completion would be a TD if he leads him
  3. Out route to Brown in the 3rd quarter, threw it right into the ground 10ft short with a clean pocket
  4. Knox

He forced one into the end zone that could have been picked. The other end zone force hit Cole in the feet and while not having a chance at being successful,it was about as dangerous as throwing into the stands

5 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

What about yesterday's game has you under the impression Allen is inaccurate? Was it the 70%+ completion rate?

Yesterday's game. You said it - one game. As I said - Josh has the well deserved reputation based on his NFL and College stats as being inaccurate. He needs to earn a new reputation. One game does not change that. Do you think it should?

50 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

To wit...

Calling it one of the worst passes in NFL history is a ridiculous hyperbole too.  It wasn't a good pass but come on, one of the worst in history? Worse than a pick 6? Worse than leading your WR into a devastating hit?  Worse than Nathan freaking Peterman? 

Give me a break...

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

1. Brown end-zone
  4. Knox

#1 was a little frustrating, but passes like that happen.  (As we've seen in this thread).

#2-#5 are all just routine hiccups that are completely normal plays in every game at every level including those with future HOF QBs.  Literally nobody gets their ball placement exactly right on every single play.  Literally everyone tries to thread the needle now and again and has a potential interception dropped.  None of those are worth losing sleep over. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

1. Brown end-zone
  4. Knox

Are  you saying Allen wasn’t PERFECT ??  
we need to find a QB that will be perfect every game ,  missing some throws is unacceptable !!! 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

2-3 on passes over 20 yards. Had another free play deep pass to brown that probably should’ve been caught. The pass to Beasley could’ve been better, but that was the type of pass he might’ve missed last year. Great drop-in 22 yarder to Diggs. 24% on 20+ yarders last year.

Used snap-count to draw Jets offside on important third down.

Looked like he audibled the play that resulted in Brown’s touchdown.

designed passes stayed pass plays - which showed me that maybe he’s done a lot of work on going through progressions.

Great decision making overall I thought. How many third down throws did he make that were well placed a yard or two past the marker? How many plays did Allen make where you asked, “Why on Earth did you decide to do THAT, Josh”? For me, barely any.

Maybe my expectations are too low, but all I care to see is meaningful forward progress from Allen, and I saw that yesterday, especially in the two areas he NEEDED to improve upon - deep throws and decision making.

I am happy.

Edited by Ecmic82
  • Like (+1) 2