Josh Allen takes a step: 71.7% and 104.6 Passer Rating on 46 passing attempts

13 hours ago, Rubes said:

Yeah, it's picky, and it was at least a good completion. But then there's the missed Brown TD too. I guess Josh has a couple of those a game...

I was watching another game and the same basic thing happened. The thing is with Josh it is a narrative and so as soon as people see one they throw it up on youtube. All quarterbacks every week have bad plays. The idea is to have significantly more good plays than bad. Mission accomplished.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, CorkScrewHill said:

I was watching another game and the same basic thing happened. The thing is with Josh it is a narrative and so as soon as people see one they throw it up on youtube. All quarterbacks every week have bad plays. The idea is to have significantly more good plays than bad. Mission accomplished.

Right? Reading reviews of Allen you’d think that most QBs have a completion percentage in the 90’s every week.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Right? Reading reviews of Allen you’d think that most QBs have a completion percentage in the 90’s every week.

Patrick Mahomes had multiple throws that were way off target on thursday. I dont really feel the need to defend Josh anymore, especially after a game like this. If you want to criticize his game thats on you, 20+ franchises would be ecstatic for their QB to put up a game that Josh just did.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, jletha said:

Patrick Mahomes had multiple throws that were way off target on thursday. I dont really feel the need to defend Josh anymore, especially after a game like this. If you want to criticize his game thats on you, 20+ franchises would be ecstatic for their QB to put up a game that Josh just did.

That Brown miss was heaven sent for the Allen haters.   If he just two hand shovels it to Brown, it’s completed and Allen now has 4 total TD’s as we eclipse 30 points.   

That miss gave them a visual to cling to and, along with a garbage time TD, made the game look about 1,000 times closer than it actually was. 

Sam Monson immediately tweets it out, completely disregarding 33/46 - 312. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

That Brown miss was heaven sent for the Allen haters.   If he just two hand shovels it to Brown, it’s completed and Allen now has 4 total TD’s as we eclipse 30 points.   

That miss gave them a visual to cling to and, along with a garbage time TD, made the game look about 1,000 times closer than it actually was. 

Yep thats all anyone needs. Its the 5-second GIF that will be circulated around to "LOL @ JOSH ALLEN" all week. 70% on 46 attempts, 300 yards, 3 TDs and 57 yards on the ground is all for naught. Nevemind the many plays he doesnt take a sack and turns it into a positive play. The only thing that matters is the Brown miss.

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

The low ball really hurt Beasley’s chance at getting a TD on that seam route. 

In the New Orleans/Tampa Bay game, future HOF Drew Brees threw low on a similar pass to Emmanuel Sanders.  The WR would have scored a touchdown, but instead had to go to the ground to catch it.  The difference was that Brees was throwing 5 yards over the middle, and Josh Allen was throwing 30 yards over the middle.

During the same game, future HOF Tom Brady twice missed WRs along the sideline at least as badly as Allen missed John Brown in the end zone.  Both times they were wide open, and he threw about 10 yards over their heads without any pressure.

And as a bonus... MVP Lamar Jackson attempted the exact same lateral (and failed just as badly) as Allen was crucified for during the Houston game.

At some point, people need to stop ONLY picking at Allen's flaws and start judging him as a total package.  No he's not the most accurate QB in the league, and probably will never be.  But the positives FAR outweigh the negatives, and he continues to get better each season.  He's ridiculously tough for opponents to defend, and most of the time that results in a WIN for the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 4

Easily his best game as a pro. How far was this above his 2nd best game? Would that be the Miami game last year? Dallas?

I think this was head and shoulders above those games, especially when you consider his command of the offense and field awareness.

The arrow is pointed up, IMHO.

Josh is already a NFL starting QB and a franchise player.

People pick nits, and he missed some things today, but those things are the difference between being a good quality starter who'll have you in the playoff hunt every year vs winning a MVP, not the difference between a bust and starter material.

But but but Josh  was 10th in completion % yesterday!

Minshew 95% 

Wilson 88.6%

Lamar 80%

Cam 78.9

Rivers 78.3 %

Cousins 76% 

Poor Tyrod ... 53.3 %

{end Trolling]  

Seriously there was FAR more indicators in Josh's progress to make note of.

Maturity!!!  Lack of Rookie mistakes!!! etc etc 

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

I think it undeniable he looked much improved, no one can deny that, even his most vocal detractors, including me. 

Can he clean up his fumbles and continue with consistency?  That is the key.  I'm feeling hopeful as of now. 

Does he need to clean up the fumbles? I think that is also the question. Look, we know he's not going to fumble the ball 32 times this year. So we know there will be game where yes, he cleans up the fumbles. But they will also rear their ugly head at some point of the season. What is becoming clear to me is that we can still win if Josh does fumble multiple times in a game. This is a credit to Josh because 1. He's totally cut back on the INT's compared to the first 16 games of his career. 2. He's just so good in other areas that the good out weighs the bad when it comes to the occasional fumbles. 

What is his TD to interception ratio since the New England game last year? I'm thinking it is quite good.

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

But but but Josh  was 10th in completion % yesterday!

Minshew 95% 

Wilson 88.6%

Lamar 80%

Cam 78.9

Rivers 78.3 %

Cousins 76% 

Poor Tyrod ... 53.3 %

{end Trolling]  

On how many pass attempts?
What’s impressive is that Josh threw the ball 46 times and had 71% completion 

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The thing that impressed me the most about Josh yesterday was his control of the offense at  the line of scrimmage. He clearly knows this offense now. That will serve the Bills well as they head through the season. 

Agree 100% !!! 
Josh has come a long way compare to his rookie year and he’s still getting better ...

Lets not forget he’s still young , I believe 23 years old ? Once he matures a little bit he will be amazing !!! 
GO BILLS !!! 

Edited by Putin

The missed throws stand out because they were points on the board but what stood out to me was the (mostly) absence of errant throws that wouldn't make the highlight reel.  Not only didn't he airmail passes, he put a lot of them in spots that only the receiver could catch it.  Look no further than the other team for examples of what I mean...Darnold was missing guys pretty badly and making throws that year one/two Josh did much more often.

The other thing that I loved but isn't really new is how easily Josh can make a would be pass rusher miss.  He's always been elusive but yesterday there were several plays where a defender was pretty much right there, Josh makes a quick little move and the defender barely touches him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

In the New Orleans/Tampa Bay game, future HOF Drew Brees threw low on a similar pass to Emmanuel Sanders.  The WR would have scored a touchdown, but instead had to go to the ground to catch it.  The difference was that Brees was throwing 5 yards over the middle, and Josh Allen was throwing 30 yards over the middle.

During the same game, future HOF Tom Brady twice missed WRs along the sideline at least as badly as Allen missed John Brown in the end zone.  Both times they were wide open, and he threw about 10 yards over their heads without any pressure.

And as a bonus... MVP Lamar Jackson attempted the exact same lateral (and failed just as badly) as Allen was crucified for during the Houston game.

At some point, people need to stop ONLY picking at Allen's flaws and start judging him as a total package.  No he's not the most accurate QB in the league, and probably will never be.  But the positives FAR outweigh the negatives, and he continues to get better each season.  He's ridiculously tough for opponents to defend, and most of the time that results in a WIN for the Bills.  

Agreed.. I think Allen is to the point, hopefully, where we can point out obvious mistakes without it being a referendum on whether he's good or bad. 

If Week 1 Josh Allen is the guy we get this season, with the way he grows game to game, he's a franchise top 10 level QB through and through.

• Like (+1) 1