So Darnold was seeing Casper again

58 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ll take Allen over Darnold everyday, but I’m not going to issue a final judgment on Darnold’s career until Gase is gone. The Jets franchise is an absolute joke, they are what we were 15 years ago. 

Absolutely, no one can honestly say that Darnold is miles better than Josh Allen, especially after today.

Darnold looked terrible today. Yes, he's stuck with Gase, and he still can become a good quarterback, but he has not arrived yet.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

He had a horrendous day but also has no weapons and was up against a very good defense. 

I wouldn’t write him off yet: he finished last season very strong. 

He just hasn’t polished up and some of his throws were down right ugly. I still think he can be a quality QB, without Gase and a better surrounding cast.

• Like (+1) 1

With a decent OL, more talented receivers and a coach who is not Crazy-Eyes Gase, Sam Darnold would probably be in pretty good shape. Instead, he's stuck on a team with an arrogant pr*ck for a coach and a front office that gave him a JV line last season and JV receivers this season. I don't care how good of shape Bell is in now, without a solid OL he's just another guy. Not that there was much for the Jets to celebrate but I get the impression that they really aren't a team. And by that I mean, their culture probably isn't great, and that, of course, reflects on the abysmal "leadership" from Gase. You just don't see players interacting with the guy. There's like zero spark or excitement on their sideline. Meanwhile, the Bills sideline will go apesh*t when a second or third string guy gets in there and makes a play.

McDermott is constantly communicating, praising when it's warranted, criticizing just the same. He's right in there *with* his team. He's not just the boss collecting a paycheck like Gase. This is why culture matters. Is Buffalo the most talented team in the league? No. They have one All-Pro and a few Pro Bowlers (although I'm starting to disregard the Pro Bowl as a true honor because these days it's nothing more than a popularity contest, kind of a joke too, really, when guys who get voted All-Pro don't go to the Pro Bowl) but they have a group of players who understand their role, have the desire to make not only themselves better but their teammates as well, and they work very cohesively. And that results in success. We may not see a WR rack up the numbers like Adams in Green Bay did today, but you'll see eight different guys each doing their part when they're called on and not a one of them will whine about not getting the ball enough. That's a team. 

Darnolds always got an excuse given to him by the media. Allen had one of the worst supporting casts I've ever seen in his rookie year but it never fazed him. He made plays, he got up fighting, he never quit. Some guys can just do that. 

Darnold doesn't strike me as a guy who won't quit. His footwork is atrocious and his decision making is suspect. He is closer to bust than "good" IMO

Darnold is very much like Allen, he'll make one or two totally boneheaded plays a game that typically ends in turnover. The one that Milano threw should never have been thrown. We've seen Allen make the same mistake with the same result many times. Today he got away with one that he shouldn't have thrown to the goal line when he was flushed from the pocket.

That said, Darnold's real problem is that he does not bring anything special in addition that allows for his overall game to be greater than those boneheaded mistakes. I mean heck Allen probably leads the league in boneheaded plays but he also probably leads the league in WOW plays or is just behind guys like Mahomes and Jackson. The good outweighs the bad will Allen. It does not for Darnold. Darnold has to clean up his sloppy play to be good. Allen on the other hand can continue to be sloppy at times because he is so good in other areas.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel like people are just going to make excuses for him until the end of time.

The Jets truly are a mess. QB's aren't supposed to demand trades but honestly unless things improve drastically over the course of this seasons I think both sides would benefit from a mutual split. Jets might be able to still get a 2nd round pick for Darnold if a team out there thinks he's been completely mishandled and still has coachable skill.