No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

1 hour ago, Back the Blue said:

Bass getting comfortable may be the only reason to keep Bojo the rest of the season, so not to disrupt the timing of the holder and kicker. 

...but come next summer Bojo needs to go.  

Might be a good idea to draft one.

And Bass could easily have worked with that guy they signed (Edwards?).  It's not like he was Bojo all that long considering there were no off-season activities.

Edited by Doc

I wonder, has any kicker ever before made three consecutive personal best distances in a single game, or been 3 of 3 in a game when all three were 50+ yards?  That was a remarkable performance even if he did get a "doink" off the upright.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody who said we needed to cut him, revoke your fan pass right now lol

This just shows why you're a fan, and not getting paid to make football decisions

You don't know anything

Hindsight is 20/20.  Have you ever posted something that it turns out was not correct?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

Hindsight is 20/20.  Have you ever posted something that it turns out was not correct?

Being not correct, about a game score or something

Is completely different than giving up on a rookie kicker, who had a rough first game, and has been steadily better ever since

Yeah I think it was asinine to call for bass to get cut, when it's clear his leg is elite. He had to get out the kinks

I've never given up on a rookie. Because I know every single player in the NFL is insanely talented, and it's all scheme fit and circumstances

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Being not correct, about a game score or something

Is completely different than giving up on a rookie kicker, who had a rough first game, and has been steadily better ever since

Yeah I think it was asinine to call for bass to get cut, when it's clear his leg is elite. He had to get out the kinks

I've never given up on a rookie. Because I know every single player in the NFL is insanely talented, and it's all scheme fit and circumstances

I think the only rookie I ever gave up on was Aaron Maybinot.

• Like (+1) 1

The same way McD gambled on a strong arm QB with a high ceiling, is the same way they gambled on a strong legged kicker with a high ceiling. These dudes are very good at what they do and know its wise to consider local weather condition patterns when assessing players in positions in which weather can and will play a factor in their overall success. 

Right now it looks like they may have hit on both gambles. Im not as confident as many others in this thread to crown Bass so quick, and I was definitely one of those skeptical of the decision to keep him over the vet. So far it looks like I was wrong and I'm almost to the point where I can happily proclaim I was wrong but its still too early for that. The jury is still out.

Imo, McD is above average at drafting. The high picks that are currently underperforming are guys who were respected by most. These aren't players they reached on. They all had draft grades universally accepted as higher or at the spot we grabbed em. Their knack to draft high quality players in the later rounds is much more of an indicator than the failed picks with more known and respected names.

With that said, that could be an indictment on the quality of coaching at those specific positions. It becomes inexcusable when high pick after pick who was widely respected coming out aren't reaching their expected potential. And its something that must be addressed if it continues. But my point is, to me, that shows McD may have an issue with position coach selection more than anything else but I trust them to make the necessary adjustments. I could be wrong.

Hated on him earlier, eating crow, but this past game was incredible. Give me a guy that can hit three 50 yarders in a game for the next 20 years. I'm fully on the Bass train, but I'm also expecting another 29 or 32 yard eyesore miss down the stretch. Just going to have to remember his potential when it inevitably happens once or twice.

12 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

Wrong Josh. 

I never made a comment on Bass because rookie kickers are unpredictable but applauded them for moving on from Haushka who obviously lost his leg strength.  There's going to be more pressure kicks with harsher weather in the stretch run.  We'll see what Bass is made of.