No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

On 9/13/2020 at 4:15 PM, Markaf431 said:

This is ridiculous. Clearly he was pushing to the right. That’s a mechanical issue and our ST coach should be able to knock that out of him. His XP’s were solid. Rookie nerves. The kid will be fine. 

Wonder how his nerves would be if the Bills Mafia all 80K were at the stadium in full voice the kid would probably lose his mind . 

42 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

That kicker scored all of the teams points in a win, wtf else does the guy need to do ? The guy who wins the game for you gets a game ball, what’s so hard to grasp about that? 

He is now, as a rookie, tied for the most kicks made in an NFL game by the way...

It just goes to show that STs are indeed considered the red headed step child of NFL football 😂

Go Bills!!!

I told you I wasn't getting on Bass. I disagreed with you comparing it to WR catching 6 of 8 targets

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

I told you I wasn't getting on Bass. I disagreed with you comparing it to WR catching 6 of 8 targets

Not that it matters so much, but then, why are kickers considered to be performing poorly when they put up percentages that are on par with other point scorers such as receivers, and paid so little when they are so needed in clutch situations? Its an odd relationship that kickers have with their teams and fans...

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/13/2020 at 5:12 PM, stevestojan said:

Rookie? Yes. 
One of his kicks might have been good? Sure. 

Thank god we have the Dolphins next week. If he misses one next week, he has to go. 

There was no reason to draft this kid if this is what he does under pressure. 

Have you looked around the league at FG %, and PAT% for that matter as well?

Besides that, you need to find someone better before cutting him.

As you said, rookie.  Did you want to cut Allen less than halfway through his rookie season?

Instead of a cut everyone approach, how about getting someone good to work with the kid.

Much like Allen, he has the leg.  Just needs to learn control.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyler-bass-3.html  

Who he was in college looks like who he is in the pros.  A guy who misses a lot of kicks.  

I keep seeing the argument that "he's just a rookie, he's still learning. He will get better!".   Does he need more time with the playbook?!?!  Is our place kicking scheme more complicated than the one he ran in college?  Is the pro kicking game faster than college?  Seriously, is anything different between kicking in the NFL vs. the NCAA?  He misses first quarter thirty yarders with no fans in the stands.  A lower pressure kick, there is not.

There is nothing left to learn.  You kick the ball between the sticks or you find another job.  I cannot think of one example of a kicker who looks like a basket case as a rookie who ever turns it around.  

To the Bass apologists, do you trust him with the game on the line?  I sure as hell do not.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Who he was in college looks like who he is in the pros.  A guy who misses a lot of kicks.  

I keep seeing the argument that "he's just a rookie, he's still learning. He will get better!".   Does he need more time with the playbook?!?!  Is our place kicking scheme more complicated than the one he ran in college?  Is the pro kicking game faster than college?  Seriously, is anything different between kicking in the NFL vs. the NCAA?  He misses first quarter thirty yarders with no fans in the stands.  A lower pressure kick, there is not.

There is nothing left to learn.  You kick the ball between the sticks or you find another job.  I cannot think of one example of a kicker who looks like a basket case as a rookie who ever turns it around.  

To the Bass apologists, do you trust him with the game on the line?  I sure as hell do not.  

So who should we sign?

It really isn't worth talking about because there isn't anyone who would be a sure upgrade that is available.

Jacksonville went through five different kickers trying to replace an injured Josh Lambo and most were complete disasters.

Veteran starters Jake Elliot, Dustin Hopkins, and Stephen Gostkowski have all been objectively less reliable than Bass while Dan Bailey, Matt Prater, Zane Gonzalez, and Sam Sloman are all right around Bass in field goal percentage. The point is we're far from alone with kicking troubles and it's telling that teams for the most part are sticking with their starters rather than kicking the tires on free agents.

Bass has the leg strength, is great on kickoffs and is only a rookie. I would much rather take my lumps trying to develop him into something (in the absence of an obvious upgrade) than have the same issues with an unreliable veteran that doesn't have the kickoff and 50+ leg strength and growth potential. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Harrison Butker kicked 71% in college. He's now one of the best kickers in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Seriously, is anything different between kicking in the NFL vs. the NCAA?  

I cannot think of one example of a kicker who looks like a basket case as a rookie who ever turns it around.  

Shortened your quote to these 3 items.

1.  For starters the hash marks are much wider in college.  Secondly the ball is a different size.  Those are 2 very big differences between college and the pros.  Mechanics and repetition are always going to be helpful and the kicking unit got a lot of practice yesterday.

2.  Kickers are always up and down.  Dan Carpenter comes to mind.  Couldn't miss for the fins, couldn't make, got cut, signed here and went through the same thing.  

3.  Of kickers with at least 15 PAT attempts this year (Bass has 18) 5 of 22 are perfect for the year.  Harrison Butker has missed 5 of them!  Bizarrely his main struggle is the 30-39 yard fg which is in the range of a PAT.  He has missed 3 of his 5 kicks from there.  He is 6/8 from 40+.  So it depends where the kick is from lol.

I have said it before and will say it again here.  I would love someone to do a deep dive on Bojo's holding and the kickers make %.  It seems to be ajob they gave him as a punter that isn't especially good at.  At least 3 of the missed kicks by Bass were not "laces out."

It is something worth watching but I'm not freaking out.  yet.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Just about every kicker in the NFL has their 2 worst field goal percentage seasons in their first season and in their last season. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't have any hard data to back up this "gut feeling" but I believe that some kickers take a bit of time to settle in to playing in the NFL.  I feel like I recall stories of rookie kickers struggling but going on to have really good careers.

Anyway, Bass is 6/8 from 40+ which I think anyone would accept.  The problem is the 3/6 from 30-39, but if you add the 33-yard PATs he's 21/25 (84%).

I'm chalking this up to Bass and Bojo becoming more and more comfortable with each other.  Do we really think they don't look at the film of each snap/hold/kick and address any "laces out" issues?

Yes, I will be holding my breath if Bass lines up for a 35-yard FG to tie or win a ballgame this season, but I still have confidence he could turn out to be a very good long-term kicker for the Bills.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Who replaces him?