No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

24 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Hausch was well short from 49 the last game he played for the Jags...and missed a 24 yarder to boot. His leg is shot and has been ever since the cheap shot against the Jets. If he was here they wouldn't have even bothered trying a 52 yarder at the end of the half, they would have thrown a hail mary.

I was hoping they would throw the HM, but they gave him a great chance and man did he blow it.

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He is a rookie.  We basically are going to take a few lumps with him. 9 attempts is a pretty small sample size.  FG percentage is variable year to year even with the most consistent kickers and theoretically touchbacks/starting field position is the most valuable trait a kicker can give you based on expected points in a season.

Over 80% is a good starting place tho based on your question.

Does anyone have the numbers on his kickoffs then?  With his leg I'd expect touchbacks to be hovering around 99%, unless for some reason Farwell is calling for shorter kicks.  Perception is that he's not doing so great in that valuable trait either, though I'd be interested in the stats on that. 

7 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Does anyone have the numbers on his kickoffs then?  With his leg I'd expect touchbacks to be hovering around 99%, unless for some reason Farwell is calling for shorter kicks.  Perception is that he's not doing so great in that valuable trait either, though I'd be interested in the stats on that. 

He is 12th at 71.9% and tied for 11th in KO Distance at 64.2 yards.  The Bills appear to strategically do short kickoffs once or twice every game tho and it usually works out in their favor...honestly I am not sure why they don't do it more often since they often times cause the offense to start inside their own 15.

You can check out the numbers at pro football reference here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/kicking.htm#kicking::fgm

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I was hoping they would throw the HM, but they gave him a great chance and man did he blow it.

The camera man struggled to maintain the ball visual it went so far right...

Edited by matter2003
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah well still haven't heard your brilliant solution either there champ!

Yeah buddy!  You're right, don't have a specific one, but I'd be bringing in some kickers this week.

Edit: I looked up Chase McLaughlin, he seems to be on the Vikes practice squad?  If so, that would be my brilliant solution😮  He seems to have a problem from 40-49, but perfect from 50+

Edited by HurlyBurly51
update

31 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He missed a 52 yarder in the rain.  He was fine other wise.  Criticizing the kid is a little ridiculous.

Holes all over the team last night and people are raging about a 52 yarder at half time. 

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

Holes all over the team last night and people are raging about a 52 yarder at half time. 

I think you missed all the other threads dedicated to discussing those holes.  This ones for Bass.  Maybe you can PM moderators to lock the thread😂😒

BTW, this thread was created on September 13th😆

2 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Yeah buddy!  You're right, don't have a specific one, but I'd be bringing in some kickers this week.

Edit: I looked up Chase McLaughlin, he seems to be on the Vikes practice squad?  If so, that would be my brilliant solution😮  He seems to have a problem from 40-49, but perfect from 50+

Think he was with the Bills last season actually, though not sure a guy who has issues from 40 to 49 is any better

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

A couple misses the laces were turned towards him.  He’s doing fine.  KC’s kicker missed a PAT last night; they are not cutting him.

If Bass  was at a point where he, like Butker, had made 90% of his 118 FG attempts and 93% of his 164 PAT's (in under 4 years!), you might have made good point with that comparison.  But he has no such history, so the point was poorly made.

He's a guy who, in his 4th and final year in college, was a 71% FG kicker.  He's now a 68% FG kicker in the NFL. They got what they drafted.

He's also only at 72% touchbacks.  For reference, they cut Hauschka for putting up 79% FG, 94% PAT, 52% TB.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think he was with the Bills last season actually, though not sure a guy who has issues from 40 to 49 is any better

He was, and yes it's weird he's perfect from every other range.  Folks here were clamoring for him when he was with SF.  Actually he was 4-5 from 40-49 with SF, it was with other teams he struggled from that range for some reason.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If Bass  was at a point where he, like Butker, had made 90% of his 118 FG attempts and 93% of his 164 PAT's (in under 4 years!), you might have made good point with that comparison.  But he has no such history, so the point was poorly made.

He's a guy who, in his 4th and final year in college, was a 71% FG kicker.  He's now a 68% FG kicker in the NFL. They got what they drafted.

He's also only at 72% touchbacks.  For reference, they cut Hauschka for putting up 79% FG, 94% PAT, 52% TB.

re your last point On kickoffs, it is unclear to me whether Bass is intentionally trying to kick those kickoffs high and short. I was expecting the one thing we would have is a kicker who would kick the ball through the back of the end zone every time. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

re your last point On kickoffs, it is unclear to me whether Bass is intentionally trying to kick those kickoffs high and short. I was expecting the one thing we would have is a kicker who would kick the ball through the back of the end zone every time. 

That is all we heard after he was drafted---that and his usefulness for kicking FG over 50 yards, something which he did successfully 2 times in his entire college career.

• Like (+1) 1