No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Because they are different positions and have different expectations, and the scoring is different. It's no tricky to understand.

I think Its more like folks having misguided expectations, 

6 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

The 3 misses from inside 40, along with the extra point miss are a problem...especially since they were over the course of only 7 games.  If he can clean up that part of his game, he will have a bright future. If the misses on "gimmies" continue over the last 9 games, they will probably at some point cost the Bills a game this season, and probably cost him his job in 2021.

1 of those misses is questionable and the XP could be blamed on a bad hold. Could he do better? Yes but he could do worse.  Unless he costs us a game or two you keep him. Yes it doesn't hurt to keep a short list on hand yet looking at the free agent land scape who's better? 

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

1 of those misses is questionable and the XP could be blamed on a bad hold. Could he do better? Yes but he could do worse.  Unless he costs us a game or two you keep him. Yes it doesn't hurt to keep a short list on hand yet looking at the free agent land scape who's better? 

We also apparently let Hauschka go at the right time because he played one awful game for the Jags and was short on an unblocked 49 yard kick.

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I wasn’t suggesting changing kickers in-season. I was suggesting if his struggles continue, he may be replaced in the off-season. 

There just legitimately aren't any improvements out there on the open market.

The Bills will have to ride with Bass this year, and then see what a full, legitimate offseason (hopefully) can do for his game.

I can't believe I'm sitting here having to defend a kicker that just set a Bills record for field goals made in a game, but here we are.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

On 10/26/2020 at 10:18 AM, Jauronimo said:

To the Bass apologists, do you trust him with the game on the line?  I sure as hell do not.  

Game winning fg yesterday.  Might not have been with the clock running out but it still stands.

3 for 3 xps and 1-1 fgs.

To update:

Bass is now 10th in points scored by Kickers

Bass is tied for the 12 most xps kicked.  2 of the 11 ahead of him are perfect on xps.  2 have missed 2 or more and the other 7 are tied with him with 1 miss.

His 5 missed fgs is tied for 2ns most with Matt Prater (proven kicker) and Ahead of Gostkowski (proven)

If people are going to rag on him when he struggles, can he get a little credit when he does well?

1 minute ago, section122 said:

Game winning fg yesterday.  Might not have been with the clock running out but it still stands.

3 for 3 xps and 1-1 fgs.

To update:

Bass is tied for the 12 most xps kicked.  2 of the 11 ahead of him are perfect on xps.  2 have missed 2 or more and the other 7 are tied with him with 1 miss.

His 5 missed fgs is tied for 2ns most with Matt Prater (proven kicker) and Ahead of Gostkowski (proven)

If people are going to rag on him when he struggles, can he get a little credit when he does well?

I did give him credit for having the second most misses and one of the worst FG percentages in the league.  

This is the NFL.  You don't get a gold star for making a 28 yarder and a few XPs.  That's called minimum expectations.  

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

3 for 3 xps and 1-1 fgs.

To update:

Doesn’t fit the narrative if you give the guy credit when he does well ex: yeah he made all his kicks, but none of them were from 40+ yards

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I did give him credit for having the second most misses and one of the worst FG percentages in the league.  

This is the NFL.  You don't get a gold star for making a 28 yarder and a few XPs.  That's called minimum expectations.  

How about credit for the game winning kick?

I get it and it's mostly tongue in cheek but not surprisingly it's crickets on Bass.  

Glass half full last 2 weeks:  Scored all of the teams points in a win and then kicked the game winning fg.

Glass half empty: Missed 2 kicks.  That's it, even if I was trying to be negative.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Doesn’t fit the narrative if you give the guy credit when he does well ex: yeah he made all his kicks, but none of them were from 40+ yards

As a young kicker in the league, first you have to survive.   You survive by making the kicks you should kick. 

Over the last few years we've seen multiple young kickers in the NFL, choke when faced with the kick that won the game yesterday.   Guys who missed badly, guys who missed close, guys who snuck the ball just inside the upright, guys who missed extra points - which is essentially what Bass's FG was.  

The first step in making it in the league is calmly making the kick you have to make to win that game.  That is exactly what Bass did yesterday.  It was high-pressure kick in a high-stakes game, into a tough wind.   Bass made it look routine.   

I give him a lot of credit for that.  That's a step that every team wants their young kicker to take. 

By contrast, Bojorquez has been in the league for years now, and every punt is still an adventure.   I thought it was time last year to look for a new punter; I still think so. 

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, section122 said:

How about credit for the game winning kick?

I get it and it's mostly tongue in cheek but not surprisingly it's crickets on Bass.  

Glass half full last 2 weeks:  Scored all of the teams points in a win and then kicked the game winning fg.

Glass half empty: Missed 2 kicks.  That's it, even if I was trying to be negative.

Sure.  Wildly impressive.  All doubt has been removed and I have 100% confidence in Bass since he made a 28 yarder and didn't miss any kicks this week.  

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

By contrast, Bojorquez has been in the league for years now, and every punt is still an adventure.   I thought it was time last year to look for a new punter; I still think so. 

Big feel good story on Bojo in Sunday's Buffalo News