No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

Does anyone really expect that their kicker will go 8 for 8 unless his name is Justin Tucker?   I don't.  It's frustrating when he hits a couple long one's but misses the shorts ones.  Hoping his confidence and mechanics get better as the year goes on.  But there's a lot of NFL kickers older than Bass that would've gone 6 for 8 or worse.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyler-bass-3.html  

Who he was in college looks like who he is in the pros.  A guy who misses a lot of kicks.  

I keep seeing the argument that "he's just a rookie, he's still learning. He will get better!".   Does he need more time with the playbook?!?!  Is our place kicking scheme more complicated than the one he ran in college?  Is the pro kicking game faster than college?  Seriously, is anything different between kicking in the NFL vs. the NCAA?  He misses first quarter thirty yarders with no fans in the stands.  A lower pressure kick, there is not.

There is nothing left to learn.  You kick the ball between the sticks or you find another job.  I cannot think of one example of a kicker who looks like a basket case as a rookie who ever turns it around.  

To the Bass apologists, do you trust him with the game on the line?  I sure as hell do not.  

Kickers are a different breed. sometimes who you are in college won't be the same:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Aguayo

Kicking everywhere has been odd this year. Harrison Butker missing extra points, Gostkowski had a horrible week 1 and then missed the game tying kick yesterday. 

Agree I wish we had a Tucker level kicker but I think we gotta ride with the kid to see what hes got at this point. 

Bass isn't the best kicker in the league. He isn't the worst either. 

I've watched a lot of teams play this year. Finding a kicker at least as good as Bass is pretty difficult.

Jax had some kicker that had never attempted a kick in a game in his entire life. What's out there that is for sure better than Bass?

7 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Kickers are a different breed. sometimes who you are in college won't be the same:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Aguayo

Kicking everywhere has been odd this year. Harrison Butker missing extra points, Gostkowski had a horrible week 1 and then missed the game tying kick yesterday. 

Agree I wish we had a Tucker level kicker but I think we gotta ride with the kid to see what hes got at this point. 

That's a good way to put it.  Of course if the wheels on his wagon completely fall off they would have to move on.

I do wonder if fans at the games would affect him positively or negatively?  That's a personality trait we haven't seen yet. 

I understand the guy is a rookie and that everyone wants him to do well but it is unreasonable for people to give him game balls for a 6 out of 8 days.

From the discussion it appears that people are still looking at stats from the 1990's or cherry picking a few kickers having  bad years.

The NFL field goal percentage this year is 85% (341 our of 401).  The field goal percentage from 40  to 49 is 80.6% and for 50 or higher is 62%.

Tyler Bass is at 71% total, he has hit 5 out of 6 kicks from 40 to 49 is at 83.3% and 1 out of 2 from 50.   Only 7 out of 124 fgs from 30 to 39 has been missed.  Bass has missed three of them.

Out of the top 32 kickers by attempts (5 or more), Tyler Bass ranks 28th in field goal percentage.  Twelve kickers are over 90% and 21 are over 80%.

The four kickers behind him are Michael Badgley,  Jake Elliot, Dustin Hopkins and Steven Gostkowski, three of which have a records of success and Gostkowski has hit 5 out of 5 kicks 50 yards or more.

I understand the guy is a rookie and I certainly are not looking to cut him but he needs to get much better.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Tuel Time said:

Bass isn't the best kicker in the league. He isn't the worst either. 

I've watched a lot of teams play this year. Finding a kicker at least as good as Bass is pretty difficult.

Jax had some kicker that had never attempted a kick in a game in his entire life. What's out there that is for sure better than Bass?

Exactly. There are better kickers in the league, there are also better QBs. Problem is theyre all on other teams, not walking the streets. Ask Jax or Tenn from last season. You cant release Bass and bank on the kicking getting much better. On top of that he gives us a shot from 50+ which isnt a guarantee.

Stick with Bass.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I understand the guy is a rookie and that everyone wants him to do well but it is unreasonable for people to give him game balls for a 6 out of 8 days.

From the discussion it appears that people are still looking at stats from the 1990's or cherry picking a few kickers having  bad years.

The NFL field goal percentage this year is 85% (341 our of 401).  The field goal percentage from 40  to 49 is 80.6% and for 50 or higher is 62%.

Tyler Bass is at 71% total, he has hit 5 out of 6 kicks from 40 to 49 is at 83.3% and 1 out of 2 from 50.   Only 7 out of 124 fgs from 30 to 39 has been missed.  Bass has missed three of them.

Out of the top 32 kickers by attempts (5 or more), Tyler Bass ranks 28th in field goal percentage.  Twelve kickers are over 90% and 21 are over 80%.

The four kickers behind him are Michael Badgley,  Jake Elliot, Dustin Hopkins and Steven Gostkowski, three of which have a records of success and Gostkowski has hit 5 out of 5 kicks 50 yards or more.

I understand the guy is a rookie and I certainly are not looking to cut him but he needs to get much better.

This is the right answer. The young man just isn't doing well. I do not want to rely on his leg in a playoff situation (or with any game on the line for that matter).

That doesn't mean he won't get there, or that he won't have a great career. There have been plenty of kickers who go on to good careers after a shaky rookie year. He has potential, and I have hope for the guy. But he has a lot of improving to do.

• Like (+1) 1

The 3 misses from inside 40, along with the extra point miss are a problem...especially since they were over the course of only 7 games.  If he can clean up that part of his game, he will have a bright future. If the misses on "gimmies" continue over the last 9 games, they will probably at some point cost the Bills a game this season, and probably cost him his job in 2021.

Edited by Back the Blue

35 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Bass also had a rough week one. That was by far his worst week

Take that week away and his numbers look  a lot better

He's getting more confidence and has a live leg

we literally don't win the game without him yesterday and there's not a kicker we could get that would make those kicks he made from 45 plus out

He absolutely deserves credit for his pressure kicking

He's going to win special teams player of the week and people are trashing him

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, jletha said:

Exactly. There are better kickers in the league, there are also better QBs. Problem is theyre all on other teams, not walking the streets. Ask Jax or Tenn from last season. You cant release Bass and bank on the kicking getting much better. On top of that he gives us a shot from 50+ which isnt a guarantee.

Stick with Bass.

Unfortunately, it's impossible for rookies to improve. You're either a Hall of Fame player in your first NFL game, or you deserve to be cut. Facts.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Bass also had a rough week one. That was by far his worst week

Take that week away and his numbers look  a lot better

He's getting more confidence and has a live leg

we literally don't win the game without him yesterday and there's not a kicker we could get that would make those kicks he made from 45 plus out

He absolutely deserves credit for his pressure kicking

He's going to win special teams player of the week and people are trashing him

I absolutely agree that he has improved.  I do not understand people saying 6 for 8 fg kicking is a good game.

19 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I absolutely agree that he has improved.  I do not understand people saying 6 for 8 fg kicking is a good game.

What do you think a good kicking game is four for four?

Three for four even in the right circumstances could be a good game

Not all kicks are equal, and he absolutely booted some clutch kicks

It was easily an above average performance When you factor in how much we needed the kicks..  If he made both of them it would have been one of the best performances of all time

He's probably going to win special teams player of the week, they don't give that to somebody who performed bad

Edited by Buffalo716

75% in a game is not good and neither is 71% on the season, but the sample size is still too small. His 50% rate on 30-39 kicks will go up, he's hitting 95% of his extra points. Fans calling for him to be cut need to relax.

Let's not forget that he actually hit one of those misses and the refs called it wrong.  Not that that's relevant to how his coaches regard him but since we're talking about percentages with a small sample size he's really at 76% not 71%.  

Also 18/19 on extra points is a good number ever since they stopped being gimmes.  You typically see several missed each week around the league.

The actual premise behind this thread is ludicrous though.  No excuse?  A rookie struggling because he's a rookie is about the most reasonable excuse there is in this sport.

Eyeball test for Bass does not look good. Rarely do you see perfect through the upright kicks. It is weir. Clearly he has power yet he just seems to never hit the ball right or something. Heck, maybe it is the holder or the snapper. I want to believe they see him nailing perfect 60 yarders at practice. 

9 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Not that it matters so much, but then, why are kickers considered to be performing poorly when they put up percentages that are on par with other point scorers such as receivers, and paid so little when they are so needed in clutch situations? Its an odd relationship that kickers have with their teams and fans...

Because they are different positions and have different expectations, and the scoring is different. It's no tricky to understand.