No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

4 hours ago, Groin said:

Having lived through Norwood, even I'm starting to get the yips.  They really need to solidify the kicker position.  I'm glad that Bass went 6/8, but missing no brainer types of kicks is cause for concern.

He made a few long ones and he responded to the pressure.  

Hauschka  missed one today, as did Gostnowski.  

He actually made the highest pressure kick today— the last one, which put us up 8. That was a little over 40 yards. To me, that was the most reassuring kick— shows me he can handle those pressure situations. 

I would love to see him though be automatic from 40 in though— those are tough misses to handle. 

Like every position, if you jettisoned every rookie who struggled there'd be nobody to play the position in the league.  It does suck to suddenly be shaky at the position when you're angling for the division when we've been solid at kicker on mediocre teams all these years.  I expect him to hover around 70% all season and improve next year.

When a receiver catches 6 out of eight targets  it’s a good day, if it’s a kicker it’s inexcusably bad, damn silliness, Bass wins us the game and people are pissed at him... talk about hot takes...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Success said:

6 for 8.  That's solid.

I loved the emotion after the last kick.  He's a young guy - he needs to keep building his confidence.

By most criteria, Tyler Bass is the 2nd worst kicker in the league right now.

🤣

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Success said:

6 for 8.  That's solid.

I loved the emotion after the last kick.  He's a young guy - he needs to keep building his confidence.

Yeah, was he talking trash to the Jets bench ? 😆 

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

When a receiver catches 6 out of eight targets  it’s a good day, if it’s a kicker it’s inexcusably bad, damn silliness, Bass wins us the game and people are pissed at him... talk about hot takes...

Go Bills!!!

Plus two of the kicks would have been punts with Hauschka on the team. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Back the Blue said:

Are the Bills telling Bass to kick the ball short sometimes?  If so, I think it is a mistake.  If he has the leg to boom it out of the end zone every time, then have him do it.  

Have to believe that is the case.  Once the Bills went up 18-10, the next kick off went out of the end zone.  So seems to me he can kick it there every time, but is being told to kick it short and high with lots of hang time.  For the most part is working, recall at least two of the kickoffs went for only around a  20 yard return.

Recall reading once they changed the touch back point to the 25 yard line to encourage kneel downs, instead teams started trying to force returns that would go for less.

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Have to believe that is the case.  Once the Bills went up 18-10, the next kick off went out of the end zone.  So seems to me he can kick it there every time, but is being told to kick it short and high with lots of hang time.  For the most part is working, recall at least two of the kickoffs went for only around a  20 yard return.

Recall reading once they changed the touch back point to the 25 yard line to encourage kneel downs, instead teams started trying to force returns that would go for less.

You also give yourself the chance to get a fumble and if you get 2 of those per season it's worth every single time they take it out a few yards past the 25.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

I'm not getting on Bass but that's a poor comparison with a WR. A WR with 6 catches for 50 yards is much different than a K missing 2 kicks in a close game

17 minutes ago, nucci said:

I'm not getting on Bass but that's a poor comparison with a WR. A WR with 6 catches for 50 yards is much different than a K missing 2 kicks in a close game

That kicker scored all of the teams points in a win, wtf else does the guy need to do ? The guy who wins the game for you gets a game ball, what’s so hard to grasp about that? 

He is now, as a rookie, tied for the most kicks made in an NFL game by the way...

It just goes to show that STs are indeed considered the red headed step child of NFL football 😂

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1