No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

It's almost like picking up a guy who has trouble in bad weather was a mistake. His scouting report has been dead on so far. TBF though his holder is a clown and has probably contributed to a dozen missed kicks since he's been here. I was waiting for the hold replay today.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well from that distance only about 60% are made to start with and there isn't an extra start I could find for in the rain, which I'd imagine would drop that 60% under 50%

I guess by your logic if they send him in to make a 70 yarder and he misses, he failed.

I got him at 66% for the year, by that logic he has failed this team. 

2 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I got him at 66% for the year, by that logic he has failed this team. 

OK so a rookie with no pre-season missed a 52 yarder in the rain, he failed.  So what exactly is your solution?  Kept Hause?  How many 50 yard kicks did he miss.  Think he missed two last week  in fact.

Bass is the least of our problems right now.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually replayed it a few times. Not a super clear angle, but I thought the laces were fine (pointing out at least at like 10:00). 

regardless, the laces matter so little when a kick is that far right.

Laces maybe make the ball drift a little. but this wasn't even close to having a chance.

Having a kicker with a huge leg and 0 accuracy is like having a QB with a massive arm and........................😁

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK so a rookie with no pre-season missed a 52 yarder in the rain, he failed.  So what exactly is your solution?  Kept Hause?  How many 50 yard kicks did he miss.  Think he missed two last week  in fact.

Bass is the least of our problems right now.

Hausch career FG % 85.2%, close to last year overall NFL success rate of 84.7%.  66% so far for Bass is pathetic.  They should deduct points for how badly he misses.  

BTW, this is a thread dedicated to the topic of Bass, so whether he’s the least of our problems or not, it is the place to discuss him.  There are plenty of other threads to discuss our myriad of problems.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Hausch career FG % 85.2%, close to last year overall NFL success rate of 84.7%.  66% so far for Bass is pathetic.  They should deduct points for how badly he misses.  

BTW, this is a thread dedicated to the topic of Bass, so whether he’s the least of our problems or not, it is the place to discuss him.  There are plenty of other threads to discuss our myriad of problems.

When you have a kicker who you cant trust, you start punting from inside your opponents 40 yard line.

OR your calls in that territory become different. 

SO yea id say that's a problem. 

12 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Way to cherry pick stats! Lets not look at what he did last season, just overall career.  Yes Hausch WAS a very good kicker for eight seasons prior until 2018 and 2019.  Those two years his percent was 78.5% also below the league average.  Last year was 1 of 5 beyond 50 yards  and the year prior 4 of 7.  And BTW Hausch first two seasons his stats were below 68% , took him until 3rd full season before he got his average up above the league average. 

When you've only taken 9 kicks hard to make much of any argument about stats so can throw out Hausch first season too as even more limited.  One of Bass's kicks may have even been good, which when you only took 9 kicks, one more being good would raise his percent to around 78%,  gee identical to Hausch last two seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The ones he made today he booted pretty dead center

I think a sample size of less than 10 NFL fgs is premature

He has a huge leg and he's been drilling extra points lately

He had to work out some nerves. He may be not good but he could turn out to be good. It was terrible conditions today, even butker missed an xp

Beane should took Blankenship over Bass.  That kid has kicked & kicked well in big games.   Classic case of the Bills trying to get cute.  

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Way to cherry pick stats! Lets not look at what he did last season, just overall career.  Yes Hausch WAS a very good kicker for eight seasons prior until 2018 and 2019.  Those two years his percent was 78.5% also below the league average.  Last year was 1 of 5 beyond 50 yards  and the year prior 4 of 7.  And BTW Hausch first two seasons his stats were below 68% , took him until 3rd full season before he got his average up above the league average. 

When you've only taken 9 kicks hard to make much of any argument about stats so can throw out Hausch first season too as even more limited.  One of Bass's kicks may have even been good, which when you only took 9 kicks, one more being good would raise his percent to around 78%,  gee identical to Hausch last two seasons.

Bass is off to an inauspicious start no matter how you spin it, he's currently a problem.  Beane got too cute on this one, but hey, settle for mediocrity there champ.

13 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I agree. Unfortunately Hausch has been worse then Bass n Bills had no choice but to stick with him going into the season 

14 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

regardless, the laces matter so little when a kick is that far right.

Laces maybe make the ball drift a little. but this wasn't even close to having a chance.

Having a kicker with a huge leg and 0 accuracy is like having a QB with a massive arm and........................😁

I do kind of wonder if the inconsistent holds habe affected Bass’ rhythm? I haven’t paid too much attention to that, but I can imagine that taking an extra fraction of a second to make sure the hold is good could influence his accuracy and headspace. Just a thought. 🤷‍♂️  In any case..... Improvement is needed. 

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

Beane should took Blankenship over Bass.  That kid has kicked & kicked well in big games.   Classic case of the Bills trying to get cute.  

Eh what's done is done

He's kicking in a dome, and  has a long of 43 so far

I don't know if he'd be good from 50 plus in our conditions. I know bass wasn't either yesterday, but he has the bigger leg for it

Blankenship went from sunny Georgia to a dome. Bass from sunny Georgia to buffalo

Tough transition

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Hausch was well short from 49 the last game he played for the Jags...and missed a 24 yarder to boot. His leg is shot and has been ever since the cheap shot against the Jets. If he was here they wouldn't have even bothered trying a 52 yarder at the end of the half, they would have thrown a hail mary.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Hausch was well short from 49 the last game he played for the Jags...and missed a 24 yarder to boot. His leg is shot and has been ever since the cheap shot against the Jets. If he was here they wouldn't have even bothered trying a 52 yarder at the end of the half, they would have thrown a hail mary.

Just trying to see what an acceptable FG% is in the NFL, I know 66% isn't it.

8 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Just trying to see what an acceptable FG% is in the NFL, I know 66% isn't it.

He is a rookie.  We basically are going to take a few lumps with him. 9 attempts is a pretty small sample size.  FG percentage is variable year to year even with the most consistent kickers and theoretically touchbacks/starting field position is the most valuable trait a kicker can give you based on expected points in a season.

Over 80% is a good starting place tho based on your question.

Edited by matter2003