No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

On Friday's Locked On Bills podcast, Joe Marino talked about Corey B and how his struggles with holding were at fault for 2 of Tyler Bass' missed FGs (one vs the Jets and the other last week vs Vegas). The laces were either facing in or right on both kicks. Joe spoke to a former NFL kicker who said that he immediately identified the direction of the missed kicks (wide right) based on the holds and said that quality NFL holders only mess up with a laces-in hold once in every 4-5 games.

Interesting to consider that Bass has missed three FGs I believe, two were on bad holds and the other was possibly an incorrect call. 

I preached patience after Week 1 (also thought the poor/windy conditions were a factor that day) and after seeing Haushka implode today, I still think we made the right call a few weeks in. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

On Friday's Locked On Bills podcast, Joe Marino talked about Corey B and how his struggles with holding were at fault for 2 of Tyler Bass' missed FGs (one vs the Jets and the other last week vs Vegas). The laces were either facing in or right on both kicks. Joe spoke to a former NFL kicker who said that he immediately identified the direction of the missed kicks (wide right) based on the holds and said that quality NFL holders only mess up with a laces-in hold once in every 4-5 games.

Interesting to consider that Bass has missed three FGs I believe, two were on bad holds and the other was possibly an incorrect call. 

I preached patience after Week 1 (also thought the poor/windy conditions were a factor that day) and after seeing Haushka implode today, I still think we made the right call a few weeks in. 

read an article the other day, which made the point that even if the laces are like at 3:00, it causes a draw on the ball. 

in the article though, it said the LS is the guy really responsible for making sure the laces are the right way. These guys can snap with such precision that the holder should be able to catch it in the same spot every time. So may not be Bono’s fault. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

read an article the other day, which made the point that even if the laces are like at 3:00, it causes a draw on the ball. 

in the article though, it said the LS is the guy really responsible for making sure the laces are the right way. These guys can snap with such precision that the holder should be able to catch it in the same spot every time. So may not be Bono’s fault. 

Is the long snapper responsible for Bojo’s lackluster punting as well? 😆 But seriously it’s the holder’s job to compensate for the snap. I do agree with the sentiment that if Bojo can’t punt well AND can’t get the laces out, it’s hard to see why we’re keeping him around. Perhaps we need Barkley to stop waiving the pom poms and start holding. 

24 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I see a lot of holders having to spin the ball. And if the ball isn’t snapped that way, the holder should still (have to) rotate it properly. 

24 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Is the long snapper responsible for Bojo’s lackluster punting as well? 😆 But seriously it’s the holder’s job to compensate for the snap. I do agree with the sentiment that if Bojo can’t punt well AND can’t get the laces out, it’s hard to see why we’re keeping him around. Perhaps we need Barkley to stop waiving the pom poms and start holding. 

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

I see a lot of holders having to spin the ball. And if the ball isn’t snapped that way, the holder should still (have to) rotate it properly. 

I hear you. Bojo probably needs to do something. But whoever our LS is (Ferguson?), he is partially to blame.

Re Bojo, what’s sort of amazing about him is how pervasive his negative plays are. Usually a bad punter is a bad punter in some ways— eg, weak leg strength. Bojo kicks balls too low, too short, through the end zone; he drops the balls, He gets punts blocked, he holds poorly on FGs, he gets injured. It’s sort of amazing how he is bad in so many myriad ways. 

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Re Bojo, what’s sort of amazing about him is how pervasive his negative plays are. Usually a bad punter is a bad punter in some ways— eg, weak leg strength. Bojo kicks balls too low, too short, through the end zone; he drops the balls, He gets punts blocked, he holds poorly on FGs, he gets injured. It’s sort of amazing how he is bad in so many myriad ways. 

You forgot to mention his 1 pass attempt.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think its Bojo. I am not going to check the timeline tonight. But hasn't Ferguson been with the Bills for awhile or atleast been with the team prior to Bojo. Just as a guy on the couch, I have personally noticed that it seems FGs since Bojo has been holder have been much more of a wild card. I think he messed up alot of Hauska's misses as well. I will say this again, as I have before, can maybe Barkley do a better job at holding. Personally I don't think it could worse then Bojo. I think he is the worse holder the Bills have had since I've had Sunday Ticket and havnt missed a game. (11 years)