No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

59 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

and I can’t believe how bad kicking was.  It’s crazy there aren’t 32 guys who can’t be really good at the job. Bass gets a pass because it’s a win and first game of his career.  But his leash has to be short. Too important to mess around with. 

Every team whose kicker missed a kick should have him on a short leash.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Every team whose kicker missed a kick should have him on a short leash.

Agreed.  It sucks because it seems like a terrible way to build up confidence for a young guy but I guess that’s the job.

i can’t believe how bad Steven Gostowski is now.  He was like one of the best ever and he is awful.  

such a crazy, important job. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed.  It sucks because it seems like a terrible way to build up confidence for a young guy but I guess that’s the job.

i can’t believe how bad Steven Gostowski is now.  He was like one of the best ever and he is awful.  

The problem is that there aren't a lot of option and you're basically just recycling kickers who were cut elsewhere.

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Does anyone have stats/data on how rookie kickers perform in their first season, versus how they perform the rest of their career?

I keep hearing about "first game jitters" and just to give Tyler Bass time to get acclimated into the NFL.

I would be curious if that is a legit excuse, based on other successful kickers around the league.

To me, kicking is kicking.  If he was successful in college, he should be find in the pros.

I think he was 20 for 28 last season in college.   

Beane liked his power and he matched Haus in camp for kicks made vs missed.

On 9/15/2020 at 7:20 AM, Rc2catch said:

Do we overvalue to pressure of fans on kickers? No fans and kickers had a really rough weekend. Maybe that noise and pressure actually helps. No preseason, maybe they needed the extra kicks in real game format. It was ugly across the league. 

All kickers looked bad week 1. If Bass continues to miss kicks, Beane will start looking. 

On 9/15/2020 at 9:40 AM, Da webster guy said:

I think he was 20 for 28 last season in college.   

Beane liked his power and he matched Haus in camp for kicks made vs missed.

71% will get you cut. So he better have an accurate deep game or eventually he'll be gone. Kickers in the NFL who were under 75% were the bottom 2-3 kickers in the league.  House$ was 78% over his last 2 years and he got cut. If Bass doesn't hit 80% of his kicks, his leg won't justify the misses. Especially if one loses a game.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:04 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wonder Hauschka's workout with the Titans a few weeks ago didn't go so well, or if this is a case of Vrabel giving his old teammate another chance. I was certain that SH would have been signed by the Titans on Tuesday.

As I have stated I was hoping they would go with 2 kickers, That said he has been great on kickoffs.
With no preseason the fact that we are scoring mostly TDs gives Bass a  chance to get his starting NFL experience kicking XPs.
Hopefully, when the time comes to kick some pressure FGs he'll be past his NFL indoctrination stage.

I never watch XP's but happened to see one today and noticed he was kicking from the left hash.

Has he been doing that all year or did they have him mover over after he'd already scraped all the paint off the right goalpost?

On 9/20/2020 at 10:09 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Young man did ok today.

Also, give him a shout out for his KO's (10 TBs and only 2 returns for an average of 16 yards).

Keep working.

83% is 6th in the league

12 for 12 on PATs

3.5 for 5 on FGs

Obviously the jury is out until he has some kicks that really matter, but I think we're past the immediate hysteria.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

83% is 6th in the league

12 for 12 on PATs

3.5 for 5 on FGs

Obviously the jury is out until he has some kicks that really matter, but I think we're past the immediate hysteria.

Maybe for most of us but there will be some that will never give up their hysteria!

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...