No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

You've already documented you saw something that didn't happen doc...it was above the uprights, not "speak[ing] between" them.  You imagined it.  

I didn't imagine it just as the announcers and ref didn't when they saw it on replay. 

BTW, isn't there a cam on the crossbar?  And would the all-22 show it?

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I didn't imagine it just as the announcers and ref didn't when they saw it on replay. 

BTW, isn't there a cam on the crossbar?  And would the all-22 show it?

Come on doc.  You said you saw it go between the uprights.  In was at least well over the Right upright.  

12 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Six for seven if i count extra points, which arent gimme kicks anymore.

Beane should have Haus on speed dial just in case the kid cant turn it around

95% is a gimme

On 9/13/2020 at 5:12 PM, stevestojan said:

Rookie? Yes. 
One of his kicks might have been good? Sure. 

Thank god we have the Dolphins next week. If he misses one next week, he has to go. 

There was no reason to draft this kid if this is what he does under pressure. 

Or maybe we just realize with the wild preseason - maybe the timing is just a bit off and we give the kid a chance to develop.

Every game (except GB/Minn) featured at least one missed FG or XP and my guess is that most of these guys needed a few more pressure kicks in the pre-season with real rushes to get the timing just right.

It was not just a Rookie/Young player thing (although several younger kickers missed kicks) it was veteran kickers too - like in Tennessee last evening missing 3/4 and an XP.

I don’t know how things will go as we move forward, but before I move this kid into the annuals of history - I want to be sure he is not going to be the next Gary Andersen or Hopkins that we lose out on for 15 years for 1 year of service by someone else.

In reality with a lack of preseason games - special teams was by far the most impacted group as it is nearly impossible to run a ton of full out kick-off and punt coverage/returns since the units share a lot of people.  FGs and XPs are a bit easier to do, but still lack the pressure, rush, and adrenaline of a real game and therefore it is hard to mirror everything.  This is why at most positions on kicks and punts - I believe the Bills greatly outshined the Jets.  It is a big part of the coaching plans and we had a ton of experience in coverage and returns.  The opposite happened at kicking FGs as we had no experience.

I will give him time as teams will be switching out kickers left and right.  If it continues- of course you change him out, but I want to see mor than 1 week of results. 

Not for nuthin...

Fans always wring there hands and love when opponents have to come to Buffalo and play in OUR WEATHER.

Funny, because none of the Buffalo Bills players are actually FROM Buffalo.

One of the elements of our WEATHER is WIND - Swirling WIND.

Perhaps we could could give young Bass just a little time to become familiar with our Buffalo weather.

I have heard it spoke about that Hauschka was good in Buffalo because his kicks were low and thus not as effected by the winds in New Era Field.

Young Bass does not have such a low trajectory. Give the kid a little time before we run him out of town.

BassMissedKick.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Every game (except GB/Minn) featured at least one missed FG or XP and my guess is that most of these guys needed a few more pressure kicks in the pre-season with real rushes to get the timing just right.

It was not just a Rookie/Young player thing (although several younger kickers missed kicks) it was veteran kickers too - like in Tennessee last evening missing 3/4 and an XP.

Perhaps it's that new 'Brady Standard' that was quietly introduced in the off-season.  Balls are now inflated to lower pressures, and don't fly as well on kicks. 🤔

😁

26 minutes ago, cd1 said:

BassMissedKick.jpg

Am I looking at a football, or a case file from Project Blue Book? 🤔

Hopefully it was all first game jitters and he'll be fine but I don't understand why people are trying to make all these excuses for him.

For example -- it was claimed he did fine because he made "6 out of 7" kicks.  However, all the kicks he actually made were extra points or essentially old time extra points (17 and 22 yard fg)

I don't think that McDermott is panicking but I am pretty sure he is concerned.  Otherwise he wouldn't have kicked the last FG just to give Bass some confidence.

Hauschka must have looked really bad in camp.  I was surprised that they did not decide to at least keep him on the practice squad.

Does anyone have stats/data on how rookie kickers perform in their first season, versus how they perform the rest of their career?

I keep hearing about "first game jitters" and just to give Tyler Bass time to get acclimated into the NFL.

I would be curious if that is a legit excuse, based on other successful kickers around the league.

To me, kicking is kicking.  If he was successful in college, he should be find in the pros.

Funny how people bring up the Browns miss for Hauschka considering it was his first miss from 30-39 in 7 years.  Hauschka missed only 4 from that distance in 12 years.  Bass is half way there in only his first game.  Hauschka also went 4/4 in the Playoff game including hitting from 47 with 5 seconds left.  You feel confident in having Bass do that?

46 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Funny how people bring up the Browns miss for Hauschka considering it was his first miss from 30-39 in 7 years.  Hauschka missed only 4 from that distance in 12 years.  Bass is half way there in only his first game.  Hauschka also went 4/4 in the Playoff game including hitting from 47 with 5 seconds left.  You feel confident in having Bass do that?

Based on one game - no.  The question is how will he develop and perform by year end.  

42 minutes ago, spartacus said:

looks like the Bills should have opted for the seasoned, long time vet kicker instead of the rookie.

someone like Gostkowski was available

Gostowski missed 3 field goals and an extra point last night.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29889545/tennessee-titans-stephen-gostkowski-redeemed-25-yard-winner-4-misses

13 minutes ago, Halloween Land said:

Would anyone  trade a first for Justin Tucker? He has been the best in the league for years now. 

13 minutes ago, Halloween Land said:

Would anyone  trade a first for Justin Tucker? He has been the best in the league for years now. 

I mean it’s a kicker but why would the Ravens do that?  Plus that trade would melt brains.

and I can’t believe how bad kicking was.  It’s crazy there aren’t 32 guys who can’t be really good at the job. Bass gets a pass because it’s a win and first game of his career.  But his leash has to be short. Too important to mess around with. 

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean it’s a kicker but why would the Ravens do that?  Plus that trade would melt brains.

and I can’t believe how bad kicking was.  It’s crazy there aren’t 32 guys who can’t be really good at the job. Bass gets a pass because it’s a win and first game of his career.  But his leash has to be short. Too important to mess around with. 

You make a great point, with all the athletes in the world, why can't there be 32 pretty decent kickers?