No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is what you have to live with when you go with rookie kickers. 

You have to eat the inconsistency early to get to a place where they are reliable. 

He was pushing everything right. 

But yet his PATS were right down the middle.

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Exactly without depth perception you can't tell.  You can't say it was no good either. Though the ref can and from looking straight up he called it out.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I went through the uprights.  

Really, how can you  determine depth perception?

If you can tell me that kick was in, please tell me the lottery numbers for Tuesday.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

McDermott has no problem with Bass 

if it’s good enough for Coach it’s good enough for me 

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Browns cut their kicker— was a fifth rounder last year. He actually was pretty decent last year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29885830/browns-boot-kicker-austin-seibert-cody-parkey-source-says

I said as much earlier 

lose by 30 points and fire the kicker. 

So Brownsie 

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Did I invent details from the broadcast to suit my position?  You see a ball clearly going between the uprights in that video and picture?  You believe the angle we have is better than the view of the official which was right underneath the upright?  

I once saw not one but two officials claim that a guy not only caught a ball past the first down marker, but in-bounds, so forgive me if I don't believe one official that suits your position.  Especially when I saw the ball sneak through the uprights, McDermott was yelling at the refs to review the play because he saw the same thing, and the announcing crew replayed the kick well after it happened and they and their guest ref analyst agreed it was a good FG.

We'll agree to disagree and hope that Bass makes it less able for the refs to decide things.

Edited by Doc

On 9/13/2020 at 5:12 PM, stevestojan said:

Rookie? Yes. 
One of his kicks might have been good? Sure. 

Thank god we have the Dolphins next week. If he misses one next week, he has to go. 

There was no reason to draft this kid if this is what he does under pressure. 

You're full of stevestojan!😀 For the newer posters here,  he didn't like that the swear filter  substitutied poop for the s- word, so Scott (SDS) made it  his name for a while.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

I once saw not one but two officials claim that a guy not only caught a ball past the first down marker, but in-bounds, so forgive me if I don't believe one official that suits your position.  Especially when I saw the ball sneak through the uprights, McDermott was yelling at the refs to review the play because he saw the same thing, and the announcing crew replayed the kick well after it happened and they and their guest ref analyst agreed it was a good FG.

3 kicks were identical--to the right.  only 1 was good, others missed.  You're hallucinating--It didn't sneak through the uprights at all--it obviously went over the uprights, so McD should have known it was not reviewable

These were 38 and 34 yard kicks.  Even his 22 yarder barely made it inside the R pole.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

3 kicks were identical--to the right.  only 1 was good, others missed.

These were 38 and 34 yard kicks.  Even his 22 yarder barely made it inside the R pole.  

No doubt his kicks were being pushed to the right and the 2nd was a clear miss.  He's got some work to do.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

No doubt his kicks were being pushed to the right and the 2nd was a clear miss.  He's got some work to do.

This is how they bought him.  71% his last year in college.

Hauschka was 82/84 from that range past 9 years

Edited by Mr. WEO

I have no idea if the wind effected the many kicks that went right.  He lives another day.  

Let’s see what he does for a few games before we rush to judgement.  Gary Anderson, one of the all time great kickers, was cut as a drafted rookie by Chuck Knox because he missed every FG in preseason.  

On 9/13/2020 at 5:12 PM, stevestojan said:

Rookie? Yes. 
One of his kicks might have been good? Sure. 

Thank god we have the Dolphins next week. If he misses one next week, he has to go. 

There was no reason to draft this kid if this is what he does under pressure. 

Dude freaking relax.  Guy was pumped first NFL game first kick was good missed 1 of 4.  Relax 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Got not choice.

Sure there are choices.  They could always go back to Hauscka and get a guy who missed from 30 yards last year against the Browns that might have changed the outcome, and who can't kickoff.  There are also other kickers who couldn't latch-on with other teams. 

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

We do not have to be patient nor should we be.  This is a team built to take the division, host a playoff game, and make a run.  There is no room for a kicker we can't count on.  Kicks inside 50 yards need to be nearly automatic at the NFL level.  If he costs us a game, hes gone.  

I get your point but there is not a line of all pro kickers sitting in the unemployment line.  We were not patient with Dustin Hopkins.  Do we get rid of a QB when they cost you a game or a running back who fumbles or a RT who gives up some sacks in his first game?

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sure there are choices.  They could always go back to Hauscka and get a guy who missed from 30 yards last year against the Browns that might have changed the outcome, and who can't kickoff.  There are also other kickers who couldn't latch-on with other teams. 

Hauschka made 22/23 kicks from 20-49 yards last season.  The Bills Offense was anemic in the Browns game