No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I said it at the time yesterday, but when the Bills had 4th and short at the goal line at the end of the game and decided to kick the FG, when analytics say you go for it, it was for Bass' confidence.

Odds are we get the TD but that call was correct given the context. 3 scores and it's out of reach, you gotta send out the kicker for the chip shot.

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

Listen-  even if Tyler Bass has a few weeks where he’s pushing it too hard, if the Bills release him he’d be signed elsewhere in 5 minutes.  And he’d most likely would have a lengthy NFL career.  He didn’t hit all those FGs in college because he sucks. The guy who we cut in last years camp to keep Hausch is kicking for the Colts now.  Kickers- ya gotta be patient or you end up developing a kid for someone else’s team.

He was an 79% kicker in college. 71% last year. That’s not accurate. Big leg. Potential. But he’s not an accurate kicker yet at all. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

I strongly agree with this.  Obviously it's not the same thing with regard to the scoreboard, but in terms of evaluating a K the expectation should be that he consistently puts the ball down the middle of the pipes at that distance.  A 38 yarder should not feel like an adventure.

Exactly my point...but we also have to be patient.....maybe he wont work out..but we cant jump to conclusions based on game 1.

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

Exactly my point...but we also have to be patient.....maybe he wont work out..but we cant jump to conclusions based on game 1.

We do not have to be patient nor should we be.  This is a team built to take the division, host a playoff game, and make a run.  There is no room for a kicker we can't count on.  Kicks inside 50 yards need to be nearly automatic at the NFL level.  If he costs us a game, hes gone.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did you see/hearLofton and Catalon who said it was a good FG?  The ref adviser who also said it was good?

I heard them say it was close.  

No one said it was good.  This video is hardly definitive.  The refs were standing under the uprights, they called it no good.  You think this shot with no depth clearly shows the ball going between the uprights when its over the upright at best?  I guess you see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear.

• Like (+1) 1

Reality is Bass was 2 for 3 IMO, so not freaking out personally.  In my eyes, the first FG was good and was a mistake by the refs and not challengeable.  

Stat sheet says 1-3 though, so I get the concern.  

Rookie.  No Preseason.  First ever kicking in the NFL.  Important divisional game.

Conclusion, I am not yet worried.  This was essentially like his first preseason game.  At the end of the day, as long as the kid doesn't lose us games in the next few games, I am willing to let him kick through any early initial struggles.  If he hasn't worked it out over the next 3 or 4 games to be reliable, then I start looking at a free agent kicker to hold the job down while the kid develops more.  

However, if we lose a game because he isn't reliable and his misses cost us a win, I start looking for that vet immediately.  We can't afford close losses this year, we got a tough overall schedule, especially down the stretch.  And we can not over look NE as still a threat to push for the division title right now.  So we need to make sure we win the games we are supposed to win and those close games where we have the opportunity to win.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He was an 79% kicker in college. 71% last year. That’s not accurate. Big leg. Potential. But he’s not an accurate kicker yet at all. 

Out of the tens of thousands of college kickers in history, Tyler bass is 80th overall in field goal percentage

Ahead of Dustin Hopkins , gostkowski and a good amount of others

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Flutie Flakes said:

Reminded me of my golf game and that #$% damn slice.

3 hours ago, Stevie Ray said:

LOL, same here. No matter what I do I slice or push-slice on my drives. Ruins what could be good rounds for me!

If you know it's gonna slice, you just call it a power fade and aim for the left (upright) side of the fairway. The problem is when you don't know it's gonna slice...

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I heard them say it was close.  

No one said it was good.  This video is hardly definitive.  The refs were standing under the uprights, they called it no good.  You think this shot with no depth clearly shows the ball going between the uprights when its over the upright at best?  I guess you see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear.

Likewise.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Likewise.

Did I invent details from the broadcast to suit my position?  You see a ball clearly going between the uprights in that video and picture?  You believe the angle we have is better than the view of the official which was right underneath the upright?  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Reality is Bass was 2 for 3 IMO, so not freaking out personally.  In my eyes, the first FG was good and was a mistake by the refs and not challengeable.  

Stat sheet says 1-3 though, so I get the concern.  

Rookie.  No Preseason.  First ever kicking in the NFL.  Important divisional game.

Conclusion, I am not yet worried.  This was essentially like his first preseason game.  At the end of the day, as long as the kid doesn't lose us games in the next few games, I am willing to let him kick through any early initial struggles.  If he hasn't worked it out over the next 3 or 4 games to be reliable, then I start looking at a free agent kicker to hold the job down while the kid develops more.  

However, if we lose a game because he isn't reliable and his misses cost us a win, I start looking for that vet immediately.  We can't afford close losses this year, we got a tough overall schedule, especially down the stretch.  And we can not over look NE as still a threat to push for the division title right now.  So we need to make sure we win the games we are supposed to win and those close games where we have the opportunity to win.  

Actually reality is that he was 2 for 4.  He may have been 3 for 4 and he made 3 XPs that are 35 yard FGs these days so he was 5 for 7 on the day.