No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

The kid missed one kick....the refs blew it on kick one.

He seems to flirt with the right goal post....some one needs to tell him that is taboo in Buffalo ;) 

At least he didn't put himself on IR by blowing out his calf muscle .....see Bengals kicker ;) 

It looked like he (Bengals PK) toe kicked it....who the heck kicks like that now? I thought they all soccer styled?

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

The kid missed one kick....the refs blew it on kick one.

He seems to flirt with the right goal post....some one needs to tell him that is taboo in Buffalo ;) 

At least he didn't put himself on IR by blowing out his calf muscle .....see Bengals kicker ;) 

It looked like he (Bengals PK) toe kicked it....who the heck kicks like that now? I thought they all soccer styled?

Having a 38 yarder left up to interpretation is as a good as a miss......but I think we have to let this go for a number of weeks and see if he can hit his stride.

7 hours ago, Success said:

The only thing I'm worried about is his confidence.  And he should have been 3 for 4. That was inexplicable.

The push to the right is an easily fixable mechanical issue.  

I said it at the time yesterday, but when the Bills had 4th and short at the goal line at the end of the game and decided to kick the FG, when analytics say you go for it, it was for Bass' confidence.

• Like (+1) 4

I'm sure this has been said but not reading through all of the responses, however, if we don't give Rookies the opportunity to grow, the ghost of Gary Anderson will haunt us for the next 15 to 20 years. Ok, that's an exaggeration but the point is made that Kickers learning to kick in Buffalo (while there is an outdoor stadium) takes some getting used to. But much like Josh Allen's arm, Bass' leg is an asset that WILL become a valuable component for this team as the season wears on. Hopefully, there are plenty more extra points and this isn't the Bills of yore when the Kicker was THE ENTIRE Offense. 

All of that said, I know we're all anxious because we want the Bills to be this playoff behemoth that will trounce every team and be darn near perfect....but folks, no Pre-Season is probably most important for a Kicker like Bass who hasn't been exposed to the swirling winds of Buffalo and their cut-throat ability to end a scoring drive. Let's all relax and give him time. 

(Btw, during the game I was ready to throw the remote from a very expensive t.v....so, I've waited until today to respond)

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I said it at the time yesterday, but when the Bills had 4th and short at the goal line at the end of the game and decided to kick the FG, when analytics say you go for it, it was for Bass' confidence.

Pretty sure analytics says a 17 point lead with just over 6 minutes to play is almost insurmountable. 14 points, well, as Bills fans, we all know we can find a way.

• Like (+1) 1

I have no idea how the idiots at CBS were able to start a controversy over a missed field goal! The refs stand right under the upright! They can clearly see if the ball goes inside the goalpost. Some obscure camera angle from the other end of the stadium can’t tell you anything. Get over it! 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

Listen-  even if Tyler Bass has a few weeks where he’s pushing it too hard, if the Bills release him he’d be signed elsewhere in 5 minutes.  And he’d most likely would have a lengthy NFL career.  He didn’t hit all those FGs in college because he sucks. The guy who we cut in last years camp to keep Hausch is kicking for the Colts now.  Kickers- ya gotta be patient or you end up developing a kid for someone else’s team.

28 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have no idea how the idiots at CBS were able to start a controversy over a missed field goal! The refs stand right under the upright! They can clearly see if the ball goes inside the goalpost. Some obscure camera angle from the other end of the stadium can’t tell you anything. Get over it! 

So many "lowlight" reels say hello ;)

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You have to wonder what Hauschka is thinking.

My guess is he was down in some desolate backwoods swamp near New Orleans for Bills the game twisting the leg of his Bass VooDoo doll every time the guy went to kick a field goal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flutie Flakes said:

Reminded me of my golf game and that #$% damn slice.

First game with no pre-season so before we run him out on a rail, let's let him get coached up and see what happens.

LOL, same here. No matter what I do I slice or push-slice on my drives. Ruins what could be good rounds for me!

52 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

LOL, same here. No matter what I do I slice or push-slice on my drives. Ruins what could be good rounds for me!

My dad tells me to aim left, so when i hook right it'll go where i want it. When i do that I will finally nail it dead center and end up out of bounds on the left side of green. I cant win. 😄

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

Having a 38 yarder left up to interpretation is as a good as a miss......

I strongly agree with this.  Obviously it's not the same thing with regard to the scoreboard, but in terms of evaluating a K the expectation should be that he consistently puts the ball down the middle of the pipes at that distance.  A 38 yarder should not feel like an adventure.