No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If he did make it it was 38 yarder BARELY made... and then he missed a 35 yarder on the next drive..... I doubt they cut him this early but if he misses another chip shot or two next week they’ll consider it, IMO. 

Can’t really risk keeping around a kicker who is guna lose you games on kicks that should be gimmes. 

Barely.....lol.  Ok, do you Scott.  

if he looks bad next week and the following, a change may be made.  After this game, we just need to gtfoi and move on.  The more drivel squawked about this, the worse it could potentially be for the kid who just kicked in his first nfl game.

Cant wait to see how the media portrays this.  Gotta get clicks

29 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

He has to become more consistent, and he has to do it quickly, but I'm not going to panic.  He's a rookie who has never kicked in the NFL.  This year was unique, denying Bass of the opportunity to even attempt a preseason field goal.  Yes, as a kicker, he faced pressure situations in college, but pressure in the NFL is at an entirely different level.  As I said, he needs to discover some consistency quickly, but it did not shock me that he struggled in his first game.  I'm just glad the game wasn't closer.

the concern for me is he missed two easy kicks and that third one he made was even really close. This was not a pressure situation at all— no fans, comfortable lead, easy kicks. How is he going to do when the pressure is really on?

i was concerned with going with a rookie kicker, and remain concerned. Let’s hope he has great mental fortitude and can get over this first game.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

The refs ruled it no good....therefore it’s no good.😅

I’m all for giving him time to figure ***** out...just hope it doesn’t cost them a game. If Bass misses a 35 yarder next week to win it are you going to be singing the same tune?

Yes, but he made the kick.  That’s the ONLY thing I care about.  

did you read my last reply?  Your answer is there.

3 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Yes but if ball is higher than goalpost then its not. That ball seemed to cross right at the very top which would make it reviewable id think

Yet I thought all scoring plays are reviewable by the league? I'm sorry stuff like this makes the league look bad.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I wonder if we kick the tires on chase mclaughlin

Currently on the vikings practice squad

Also would any vet kicker be interested in a practice squad spot?

I believe I read McLaughlin is protected.  Also he's 10/20 from 40-49 (but perfect everywhere else).

And I think that given the choice between being unemployed and on a PS, most K's would take the PS.

1 minute ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I wonder if we kick the tires on chase mclaughlin

Currently on the vikings practice squad

Also would any vet kicker be interested in a practice squad spot?

Nick Folk was on the Patriots PS before this week. I'm sure a veteran wouldn't mind making money vs not.

It wasn't a great start, but I just reviewed the highlights of the game.

Ficken's good FG kick squeaked in just inside the right upright.

Bass 'first miss' was considered good by Gene Serratore during the broadcast.

Bass second miss, the laces are clearly facing in toward the kicker, that can affect a kick. Always want laces out.

Watch nfl.com Bills Jets Highlights @ 4:44

https://www.nfl.com/games/jets-at-bills-2020-reg-1

Poor kid got screwed by the refs on his first NFL FG  kick, and then his holder did him no favors on his legitimate miss.

• Thank you (+1) 1

there’s no way i’d release the kid. He has great talent but the yips hit him today hard. He didn’t play the wind correctly.  It’s mechanics and experience. If they get rid of him, you’ll see Bass kicking for someone else successfully well into the future like Dustin Hopkins.  Just gotta let him play his way out of this hopefully soon

13 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Rookie? Yes. 
One of his kicks might have been good? Sure. 

Thank god we have the Dolphins next week. If he misses one next week, he has to go. 

There was no reason to draft this kid if this is what he does under pressure. 

Nah. There are plenty of very reasonable excuses. Every kicker has bad games, every one.

Now, if this becomes consistent, fair enough. But he'll get a bit more rope, and it'll be more than a week. Especially as he righted himself later in the game.