No excuse for Bass

stevestojan

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don't want to "take my lumps" in the first season in a long time where we are championship caliber. Two years ago, sure I wouldn't care if we had a rookie kicker. For all the hate Hauschka has gotten on here he was one of the main reasons we got to overtime against Houston. I didn't agree with us cutting him in favor of a rookie and this game only pushed me harder in that direction.

Which is why you’re so salty

The rookie kicker missed one fg.  Can’t wait for bills mafia to blow up social media frying the kid for the entire week adding more fuel to the fire.  

move

on. 

Edited by NewEra

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Bass is an easy miss away from being cut. A kicker almost always has a short leash, let alone a kicker who hasn't really proven anything. And considering that a bad kicker can cost you games I think Bass can't afford another chip shot miss. Bass didn't cost the team the game but he flubbed 6 points and took what should have been a wire to wire blowout and made it a bit tighter. 

He flubbed 3 points and the refs flubbed the other 3.  But as for being on a short leash, with whom you do replace him?  Hauschka can't KO and has become spotty himself.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He flubbed 3 points and the refs flubbed the other 3.  But as for being on a short leash, with whom you do replace him?  Hauschka can't KO and has become spotty himself.

On a field goal in that range he shouldn't have a kick be that close to where the refs can miss it. As for his replacement, I am not sure what free agent kickers are out there but they can't keep trotting out Bass if he keeps missing gimmie field goals.

Just now, billsfan89 said:

On a field goal in that range he shouldn't have a kick be that close to where the refs can miss it. As for his replacement, I am not sure what free agent kickers are out there but they can't keep trotting out Bass if he keeps missing gimmie field goals.

While a valid criticism, he still made it.  Again I've never seen the refs miss a FG call before and I doubt that's the first time that's happened. 

And if there were kickers out there who were consistent, they'd be signed already.

Just now, Doc said:

While a valid criticism, he still made it.  Again I've never seen the refs miss a FG call before and I doubt that's the first time that's happened. 

And if there were kickers out there who were consistent, they'd be signed already.

I agree there aren't likely to be any good kickers out on the market, but I would rather take a chance on a guy off the street than a rookie who keeps missing kicks? How many missed easy kicks does it take for him to be cut?

He has to become more consistent, and he has to do it quickly, but I'm not going to panic.  He's a rookie who has never kicked in the NFL.  This year was unique, denying Bass of the opportunity to even attempt a preseason field goal.  Yes, as a kicker, he faced pressure situations in college, but pressure in the NFL is at an entirely different level.  As I said, he needs to discover some consistency quickly, but it did not shock me that he struggled in his first game.  I'm just glad the game wasn't closer.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s really not that simple.

Technically he missed two and they were chip shot field goals. If he missed a couple 50 yarders, ok. But a 38 and 34 yarder is cut worthy. 

He didn’t miss 2.  Think w/e you like.  He MADE the FG.  The ref called it wrong.  He did his part.  That FG was good. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I agree there aren't likely to be any good kickers out on the market, but I would rather take a chance on a guy off the street than a rookie who keeps missing kicks? How many missed easy kicks does it take for him to be cut?

Ask me the next time it happens.  Which could be next weekend, but hopefully not.

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

I believe it was a 34 and 38 yarder. Not a good day for the rookie. 

I was talking about Hausch last year against Cleveland.  Today he missed just once, from 34 yards.  Not good but not a reason to cut him today.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

I’ve never seen the refs missed a field goal before. Does the NFL change that in their stats?

I keep reading this, but is there actually any definitive proof that they missed that call? I saw the video from the front but that’s not a definitive angle and it would be hard to believe that over the official looking straight up at the upright.

2 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

Are FGs reviewable? 1st looked good on replay

2 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Yes but if ball is higher than goalpost then its not. That ball seemed to cross right at the very top which would make it reviewable id think

25 mile an hour winds today. How many visiting K have been confounded by the winds at Rich/Ralph/Bills Stadium?

3 for 3 on XP. 3 of 4 on FG. The first one went over the upright, but was called poorly.

Announcers said FGs that go over the upright are not reviewable.

A bunch of Touchbacks and generally bad field position for the Jets.

Laces weren't properly placed on his really bad miss.

Holy moly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, vincec said:

I keep reading this, but is there actually any definitive proof that they missed that call? I saw the video from the front but that’s not a definitive angle and it would be hard to believe that over the official looking straight up at the upright.

The replay the showed proved it was good.  I could also tell in real time.

4 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

25 mile an hour winds today. How many visiting K have been confounded by the winds at Rich/Ralph/Bills Stadium?

3 for 3 on XP. 3 of 4 on FG. The first one went over the upright, but was called poorly.

Holy moly.

Corey Bojorquez should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. 

Cookie?

Edited by Doc
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Holy moly.

Exactly, this dude played college ball in Georgia. If he didn’t play in a hurricane, I’m certain he’s never experienced those winds in game action. He’s definitely never played in a stadium with a lower bowl below ground level, miles from a Great Lake. My point is the winds don’t just travel in a single direction, they swirl in all directions at that stadium. It’s always interesting to observe the flags on top of the upper deck. I’ve seen them all flying in different directions a few times. It’s challenging to even analyze where the wind is going. Give him a chance, it’s not easy to kick there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1