Josh Allen - week ONE report card

rayray808

Without the 2 fumbles it would have been a pretty solid A, maybe even A+. Dude was dealing.

Those 2 fumbles were not ultimately costly but he needs to figure that out...teams are looking to try and rake that ball now that they know he has loose ball security...

B+ is a fair grade.

I’d teeter between A- and B+.

statisticaly impressive game for sure, and he drove the offense well. The fumbles suck, of course, and so does the endzone overthrow. But let’s also consider this is week 1, no fans, no preseason, and a lot of different protocol. For all that craziness I’d roll A-. Middle of the season? B+. I think those circumstances impact the grade at least by some metric.

Come on people with wanting everything to be an A (don't you make fun of us millenials for stuff like that?). In the nfl a B+ is a really good grade, and to me this is a B+ (arguably his best grade yet)...an A in the nfl is like 450 yards, 4 tds and maybe a pick. 

That or better was actually on the table today and he left some plays on the field. Think about it this way.

When Josh Allen left plays on the field the second half of last year, he'd end up with 235 yards and two total tds. If now he can leave plays on the field and still break 300 yards, help the team keep that amount of time of possession and get three tds while the team scores over 25 points and controlling the game the entire game...that is monumental progress.

Also, this is how Daboll wanted to play last year, and after the first Pats game had to adjust to fewer throws, because Allen couldn't handle that amount of responsibility yet (he was a second year starter from a small school, not knocking him). If Allen is able to handle that passing volume this year, and control that time of possession...watch out!

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, jester43 said:

you just never see any other "good" quarterback make some of the bonehead plays he makes.  it's astonishing really.  i want to believe in the guy, but holy cow...

Brett Favre begs to differ. At this point, Favre is the best comparison to the way Allen plays. It's not perfect but I am enjoying it. 

I watched a lot of the Chargers game. You know who didn't turn it over? Tyrod. Zzzzzzz

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree totally with this. The audible on the Brown TD was real clear evidence of his growth.

So this is what moves him from B+ to an A- for me. If he can keep flashing in the mental aspect of the position he’s gonna be super special. And that was an untouched TD from 18 out so we got into the perfect play. 

5 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I say A-

All the rushing yards and 3 total TDs while setting a career record for passing yards and attempts are all great...

Missing a couple easy TDs is a minus, but it happens. The fumbles are really the major issue to me. 

which one was easy?

The TD miss to Brown was thrown running towards his unnatural side.  He was brilliant with some of the throws to Diggs and Brown.

B+ is a solid score, I agree. I think it's alright to dock him for the two fumbles, an A+ requires total perfection.

But man I am so excited, Allen is an absolute beast. He may be a true MVP contender. We're quibbling over B's or A's while our 1st round franchise QB goes off for 300 yards and multiple scores and yet another W. We've come so far. I may be a little off with his first year stats but I think he's 17-12 as a starter now, and I know for sure he's 11-6 in the regular season since last year. He's one of the best in the AFC already, let's go.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I know it's been talked about ad nauseam, but I don't think it can be understated just how much the presence of an elite #1 truly improves our offense as a whole, and Allen specifically. 

When diggs comes down with the ball after taking a hit is something allen hasn't had yet. They don't look like much if they aren't touchdowns, but those sustain drives and gives allen juice. 

4 hours ago, shoshin said:

Brett Favre begs to differ. At this point, Favre is the best comparison to the way Allen plays. It's not perfect but I am enjoying it. 

I watched a lot of the Chargers game. You know who didn't turn it over? Tyrod. Zzzzzzz

I thought josh had one of his best games today but comparing him to a qb from 20years ago even if he is a hof guy isnt ideal. If you put brett in the league today. Im not sure he gets it done. Probably looks like jameis stats wise. 
different eras 

I do love all the gifs and memes all over social media of josh missing the td throw, so everyone thinks allen is trash. But if they watched the game (which no one watched the bills/jets game other than true fans) they would have seen no other qbs absolutely man handled the defense today like allen rodgers Wilson and Jackson did. That's good qb company to be in.

This offense carved them up today. Josh was in total control. Of course he needs to correct the errors, but there was no question of who was the better QB. And that's a division rival.  For all of the hate I definitely remember many thinking the Jets were a savvy playoff pick a few months ago, but now they're just the Jets since Adams left, or something. I'll take Josh Allen in a wild shootout with any team, turnovers included.

Edited by Nelius

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

4 plays that took points off the board. About as bad as you can get. Can't have those plays. 

This town ain’t big enough for Scott Law and you. You lose. Go away.

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

A reason I wanted an explosive back next to Singletary. Moss isn't that. 

Atta boy, King Scott!😉👍

12 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I do love all the gifs and memes all over social media of josh missing the td throw, so everyone thinks allen is trash. But if they watched the game (which no one watched the bills/jets game other than true fans) they would have seen no other qbs absolutely man handled the defense today like allen rodgers Wilson and Jackson did. That's good qb company to be in.

Baker laid an egg. Darnold laid an egg, again. Rosen is practically out of the league. Rejoice Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 2

A+ requires an almost perfect game of 80%+ completions, 2-3 TDs, no turn-overs, 350+ yards and simply dominant performance

A requires an almost perfect game of 70-75% completion rate, 2-3 TDs, no turn-overs, 250-350 yards and simply dominant with 1 turnover

Otherwise Allen has already reached the perfect game. I don't think he did. I think he turned in a legendary performance that deserves our praise. 

He's gets a B+ and he just looks DIFFERENT and ready to play this year.