300!

KD in CA

15 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

He threw the ball over 40 times. Better have over 300 yards

With that completion 70%+, yes.

I was happy to see him check down when it made sense. Not every play is a macho “how many yards can you get” play, sometimes check down for a better down and distance situation. THAT is growth, to me. I’m pleased.

Now, just run a little less, and fumble a LOT less. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Diggs is def the best help Josh could ask for.

He took a beating out there today.

I see an ice bath in his immediate future.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

With that completion 70%+, yes.

I was happy to see him check down when it made sense. Not every play is a macho “how many yards can you get” play, sometimes check down for a better down and distance situation. THAT is growth, to me. I’m pleased.

Now, just run a little less, and fumble a LOT less. 

For not having any preseason games he looked pretty damned good.

He needs to learn that max yards on the run isn't a good idea for a QB get down or get OB.

Josh's game today wasn't a thing of extraordinary beauty but he got the job done.  The  RBs weren't doing much so Josh moved the team with both his legs and his arm.  We could have scored 40 if not for the two fumbles and two missed FGs.  

I don't want a QB who throws for 300 yards every game.  If a QB is throwing for those kinds of yards all the time it probably means the running game isn't producing jack or the defense is playing turnstile.  But today Josh needed to put up 300 and he did.  

The first half was very fun to watch.  This offense has potential.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

But but our kicker .....

Bills brought in a poor FG kicker to give Josh a kick in pants - you cannot depend up FGs to win game so throw more!

4 hours ago, Freak-O said:

First half was excellent. If you ignore the fumbles Josh was more or less perfect. Diggs is great. Every ball thrown to him just sticks. Second half was frustrating and I would have liked them to just keep passing like in the first instead of running the ball, which clearly didn't work. Now let's have a 400 game! :)

Gregg Williams adjusted the defense and made it much more difficult.  That is his job.  Diabolical did his job first half like he did first half of Texans playoff game but did not adjust game well in 2nd half.

When you hear “raw prospect” QB one thing you expect is that they will have horrible pocket presence. If you can’t learn pocket awareness you will not make it in the NFL.  I was shocked his rookie year at how good Josh was for a supposed raw talent at sensing when the pocket is going to break down.  He continues to grow in that important skill,  now he spots the open man instead of running.  It’s one of the reasons he is on the fast track to being among the league’s best.  

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

i saw a lot of very low throws. The td to brown, the seam to beasley, who could have ran with it but had to slow and reach down and roll to get it. And he sailed one over the head of a wide open guy in the back of the endzone. Win’s a win, but some of those throws I’d bet he’d want back

The low throws were by design.  You don't get your WR killed and the ball doesn't pop up into the air for an INT.

I also noticed that the refs jersey's were flapping big time which tells me that it was very windy out there.  To make the throws Allen did with the wind swirling & howling like it was is very impressive.  I can't wait to see what happens when the wind is calm and defenses have to defend the WHOLE field.  Brown & Diggs are going to feast.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't want to take away from Josh.  Truly happy for him. 

It was also notable to me that this game, in contrast to some previous years, we had receivers diving to make some of those receptions and handling a slightly low ball.

Diggs makes a huge difference IMO - not just with his own contributions, but I think he has "raised the bar" for the other guys in the room.

Certainly there were a few placement issues on some of the throws, but I think that Allen also tries hard to put the ball in a place where his receiver will not get hung out and killed on a route; especially with a Williams defense where unsportsmanlike conduct and unnecessary roughness calls are expected operational expenses. There could well be a fine on the helmet to helmet that Allen took in that game on one of the "roughing the passer" penalties assessed to the Jets.

The color-commentators gave Allen grief on the Beasley throw, but I am not sure that Cole is not lit up by the Jets S #30 Bradley McDougald if the ball was out front like they mentioned. He had a good angle on Beasley and if memory serves McDougald got in trouble once for a helmet to helmet on Amari Cooper when he played for the Hawks and Williams would not care if Cole got carted off. Either way Beasley is not the biggest dude and I think it was the right place to put the ball to keep him in the game.

I also believe he threw a few to Diggs where he was trying to help him get low and outside to avoid the big hit. 

I like the ball coming out before the receivers are out of their breaks, really a next step in Allen's maturation. There is still a lot of work to be done, but he is coming along and the stats continue to trend overall in the right direction.

31 minutes ago, BillsToast said:

For all of those who said 300 yards was arbitrary, didn't mean anything, yadda yadda can you admit you got excited that he did it? Come on just admit it. 

Because it was freaking awesome.

I did get very excited, now I don't have to hear this stupid argument anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I did get very excited, now I don't have to hear this stupid argument anymore.

what argument? Because it’s seems like you still don’t understand the “300 yard crowd” premise. 

Everyone has always agreed that 300 is an arbitrary number and doesn’t guarantee team success, however it’s a benchmark routinely reached even by some of the leagues worst quarterbacks and anemic offenses. So for the Buffalo Bills to go 3 plus years without a single 300 yard game there has to be something wrong either with the talent of the QBs or the conservative offensive philosophy or both. 

• Like (+1) 1

Geez.  First game with a true #1 WR and he throws for over 300 yards.  Diggs's importance for this offense and Allen's development can't be overstated.  If our LB's our out for a significant amount of time this offense is finally talented enough where we can be competitive in shootouts.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's been on pace for 300 many times only difference yesterday is they couldn't run the ball and kept throwing.

The BEST part out of this -   Josh's passing yards weren't because the Bills were trailing and had to pass to catch up  :excl:

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

You just can't please some people.

They were using Joshes arm for ball control... look at the TOP  41 minutes of a 60 minute game.

Jests didn't put a decent drive together until garbage time.

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

You just can't please some people.

They were using Joshes arm for ball control... look at the TOP  41 minutes of a 60 minute game.

Jests didn't put a decent drive together until garbage time.

Threw the ball over 40 times

He should of had over 400 yards!!!    

[/sarcasm] 

• Haha (+1) 2