Bills vs Jets Postgame Thread

29 minutes ago, stevewin said:

This was cool.  That last one where he got trucked - was weird that Brown ended up in such close prozimity at the end of the route.  Allowed that defender to be right there to take a shot at Diggs

The commentary said it looked like Brown thought the pass was coming for him so he started to change his route if he didn't Diggs catches that and maybe has a chance to do something else.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The commentary said it looked like Brown thought the pass was coming for him so he started to change his route if he didn't Diggs catches that and maybe has a chance to do something else.

OK thanks - missed that, makes sense.  Ended up being a kind of dangerous play with the guy on Brown coming right at Diggs with momentum

12 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Andre Roberts 

Kick return 1/31yards

Punt Return 5/69 yards average 13.8 yards per return.... That is huge

He was phenomenal 

Speaking of the return game:: 

I think my favorite play of the game may have been when Ashtyn Davis took the kick return, the announcer builds it up as if he’s going to house it, and he immediately gets lit up with the fire of a thousand suns. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was a little nervous before the game.  I knew what everybody else knew, Buffalo on paper looks pretty good.  The Jets don't.  Yet without pre-season there was no evidence on the field we could point to in confirmation of the Bills' superiority.  There was a nagging worry that the mad coach, Adam Gase, could pull something out of the hat that would give the Bills trouble.  

Now we know.  Except for his penchant to lose his grip on the ball on occasion, Josh is still getting better.  The defense is still good.  Of course, I want to see more out of the run game.  I think I understand why it struggled.  The Jets have a very good run defense, and I think they made a concerted effort to shut down the Bills' run game because the knew Josh's ability to be a highly productive passer is still questionable, or at least it was questionable going into the season.  A few 300 yard passing games will change that perception pretty quickly.  Anyway, I think Gregg Williams decided the best way to beat Buffalo was to force Buffalo into a passing offense.

My biggest worry coming out of the game is the health of Buffalo's linebackers.  They didn't have a lot of experienced depth going into the game.  Losing four of them, including their two best ones, for any length of time could be devastating.  

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Was closer to 15 including the Houston game.... and if I recall correctly he got bailed out by his knee being down by less than half a second before the ball was whacked out if his hand for what would’ve been his second fumble in that game.

Yep. Just looked it up. During the season he fumbled 14 times and lost four. I think he fumbled twice in Houston game. 

A few long-winded observations:

TYLER

I'm not worried about Bass. First live kicking ever in Bills Stadium, ever in an NFL game...rookie jitters. He was pushing everything a bit too far to the right (not sure how bad the wind was today), but that is easily correctable with a little coaching and having a feel for it, finally getting to do it for real. The first one looked good to me. And I'm not so sure that he would have missed the second one if they call the first one good. He missed that second one so bad, he was obviously in his head after the first one not being called good, trying to get his first NFL FG, not wanting to let down his teammates, etc. Then he righted the ship with the last two, even if they weren't straight down the middle. Also, I think the camera angle made the last one look a little more to the right than it actually was as it passed the posts, because he was angling the ball through in the direction of the camera. I did love seeing Siran Neal, a leader on Special Teams, go over to talk to Tyler after the second miss to calm him down.

GAME PLAN/RUN GAME

First, as others have said, the Jets strength is against the run. So, Dabol came out with a short passing game supplemented by Josh Allen designed runs. It was a great plan and worked like a charm (except for the two Josh fumbles). The run game with Singletary and Moss wasn't  a major part of the gameplan. Yes, it was a little worrying that when they finally did turn to it, it was a bit anemic. But, it was a 2nd year player and a rookie (with shortened offseason and no preseason) coming in late with no feel for the game because the gameplan didn't call their numbers early on, and against a very good run front. So, again, I'm not too worried about it. The sloppiness I did see in the run game, however, was the mesh point between Josh and Zach. That looked awkward to me every time and seemed to hinder those plays. Hopefully that will improve with more play together, but I would definitely have them work on it. Tough to tell about the O-line right now. Were they bad in the run game or is the Jets front just very good? We need more evidence.

And let's not forget that we were going up against a Greg Williams (of Bounty-gate fame) defense. The Jets were never in this game, but Greg had his guys hitting very hard. The win was easy, but it was a tough week 1 opponent to have because of their physicality (and the limited amount of hitting this preseason). Our wide receivers got tagged quite a bit, they all looked like they were hurting at some point. But a lot of that was because Greg started to drop 8 or 9 guys into coverage to try and stop all our receiving weapons (i.e. we were giving it to them). But when they only rushed two or three, Josh just took his time in the pocket and waited for a receiver to get open. So, Greg's first adjustment really didn't work (other than to bang up our WRs, who all got up wincing, but just kept making plays). And that is a good sign going forward, when the opponent makes adjustments and you continue to win the downs. The Jets only really slowed the Bills down when the Bills tried to turn to the rushing game to run the clock in the 2nd half. The Jets did a good job of shutting it down. But, other than that, it was only the Bills' own miscues that slowed them down on offense.

And what do you need to say about this defense. Once again, 11 men working as 1. They are the epitome of team defense. Basically just gave up the one big play to Crowder. The last TD was garbage time and aided by a pass interference call.

JOSH

Congrats to Josh on his first 300-yard game. But, oh how he wishes he had that throw to JB in the back of the end zone back. He needs to calm down on those, redirect his hips (like James Lofton said), and hit that one every time. Also, a good reminder game for Josh about ball security (in a win where the fumbles didn't hurt us). Don't try to do too much, go down when you can, hold on to that ball. But I'm still ok with the designed runs. Josh really only exposed himself to two big hits. Yes, that is two too many, but his run ability keeps defenses honest and is a great way to run the ball against a strong front that can stop a traditional running game. But yeah, the hit he took on the second fumble was a little scary. But overall, a very good game from Josh. He really spread the ball around to his weapons (he hit 8 different receivers), they seemed to have success when he changed the plays at the line of scrimmage, his decision making was good (except maybe a couple of balls in the 4th quarter), accuracy looked pretty good (only a couple of bad throws and a couple where he could have led his receiver to more yards), and he had some big runs. If he didn't fumble the ball (twice) and hit the TD to Brown, his stat line could have been 350 yards passing, 57 yards rushing, and 6 TDS. As it was, he still had 369 yards from scrimmage and 3 TDs. Very promising for a game where everyone is trying to shake the rust off.

MISC.

Without the miscues (2 fumbles/missed FG/easy TD miss to JB), the Bills could have scored somewhere between 43 and 51 points in this game. Good to get those mistakes out week one.

Props to Zimmer, coming up from the practice squad and having an impact on the game.

Andre Roberts looked great today returning kicks, even though he didn't bust a big one.

Do we have weapons now or what? 8 different receivers caught balls. With 4 players having 7+ targets each. Diggs had a quiet 86 yards, despite getting doubled for most of the game. JB: 70 and a TD. Cole for 58. Even the rook got his feet wet with two grabs on two targets.

Injuries to Milano and Edmunds suck. Hopefully its not too bad for either of them. They are two studs at a position with probably the weakest depth on the team. But props to the backups who came in and held down the fort.

Bojo only had one punt, but did his job with a 53-yarder and no return.

Overall, very happy with the game. The Bills looked strong and prepared. Need to fix the miscues, obviously, but they are all very correctable stuff. The Jets were never a threat, even when they got the lead down to 11 points, but the Bills still need to learn to put a team away a little more cleanly (especially when they're up against better competition). Yet a win is a win, especially in week 1 against a division rival, in a stadium without fans. And this team is just going to get better with each passing week. Gonna be a fun season boys and girls (especially when the fans can come back). 

Let's Go Buffalo!

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, folz said:

Bojo only had one punt, but did his job with a 53-yarder and no return.

That right there sums up this game, sure those fumbles suck and some of those FGA should of been TDs but apart from those fumbles they didn't stop us from scoring or getting in FG range more than 1 time.

Edited by Warcodered

I absolutely love how just about every talking head Twitter "sports journalist" dork is making the same tired joke about Allen's endzone overthrow, in a desperate attempt to keep their 2018 projections intact, while he goes off for 300 yards, multiple scores, and an 11-6 regular season record since the start of last year. It's like they're in so deep with their awful takes that they can only double down on their Allen hate at this point.

MVP-MVP-MVP

6 hours ago, vincec said:

Injuries are #1 for me. Both starting LBs? Dog.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any report on them?

Well, we know Milano pulled a hammy. He didn’t look hurt and wasn’t hobbling on a couple quick sideline glances, but you never know with hamstrings...

I was much more concerned about Edmunds as it didn’t appear he could even USE his arm on the long TD that he was in position to make a tackle or at least knock the guy off his course. But he seemed fine in the locker room, post game video of Sean addressing the team (standing between Murphy & Diggs) If it was a bad injury, he likely would have been all bandaged up with an ice bag on his shoulder.

Thus, cautiously optimistic..

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, we know Milano pulled a hammy. He didn’t look hurt and wasn’t hobbling on a couple quick sideline glances, but you never know with hamstrings...

I was much more concerned about Edmunds as it didn’t appear he could even USE his arm on the long TD that he was in position to make a tackle or at least knock the guy off his course. But he seemed fine in the locker room, post game video of Sean addressing the team (standing between Murphy & Diggs) If it was a bad injury, he likely would have been all bandaged up with an ice bag on his shoulder.

Thus, cautiously optimistic..

I see Edmunds looking fine over there no shoulder problems it looks like he wont be out.

• Like (+1) 1