A few random pre-game thoughts.. including who they make inactive

GunnerBill

Just a few things I was pondering on the treadmill this morning. 

Active / Inactive

So I think with the new rules basically you are allowed to have 48 guys up (so long as at least 8 are offensive linemen). The Bills active roster currently stands at 52 by my reckoning with Josh Norman having gone on IR. However, they have "activated" for gameday Cam Lewis (who I imagine then sticks as the 53rd man given Josh's status) and Justin Zimmer (presumably as cover for Vernon Butler who is questionable). So they have up to 54 players available to them, of whom 48 can be "up". So my prediction of the 6 who sit if everyone is healthy is: Jake Fromm, TJ Yeldon, Reggie Gilliam, Ike Boettger, Tyrel Dodson and Justin Zimmer. That means all SIX receivers are active and probably a reprieve for AJ Epenesa who under the old 46 man rule would have provided the other two IAs. 

Gameplan

Remember last year when the Bills opened up throwing against the Jets in Metlife? Part of that was no doubt that the best asset of that defense is the run stuffing ability of its defensive line. Once you are talking pass coverage and their linebackers and defensive backs against the Bills' receiving options the advantage is definitely heavily in our favour. So I expect a pass heavy offensive gameplan. On the other side of the ball we know that heavy blitzing is not really McDermott and Frazier's style... but if ever there was a game to send a 5th guy a little more often this is the one. The Jets lack the receivers to really burn the Bills defensive backs in 1 on 1 coverage and their offensive line is completely new from last season. 5 new starters who have had no pre-season reps to start building that chemistry. On the flip side to that Darnold has actually been relatively decent against the blitz early in his NFL career. Only 1 of his career interceptions has come on a play where a defense rushed more than 4 guys. It might be that what we see is a lot of disguise and pressure from unusual spots rather than the Bills sending the extra man. I wonder if we might get some Taron Johnson or even Jordan Poyer roving close to the line and rushing as the 4th guy?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I expect Beasley to be featured heavily. He's a big mismatch in this game they'll be keying in on Diggs. This isn't exactly the boldest prediction but I think Diggs ends under 100 yards while Beasley and Brown combined are around 150. I also expect us to be running the ball for most of the 4th quarter so the passing total will end up under 300.

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I expect Beasley to be featured heavily. He's a big mismatch in this game they'll be keying in on Diggs. This isn't exactly the boldest prediction but I think Diggs ends under 100 yards while Beasley and Brown combined are around 150. I also expect us to be running the ball for most of the 4th quarter so the passing total will end up under 300.

I can totally see Brown having a monster game, and year.  If you double team Diggs, Brown will destroy you.  We went from having zero #1 WR's a few years ago,  to now having 2.  Or at least a stud #1 and fantastic #2.  

I think Knox has a good game.  I could see Allen checking to him or designed plays to him where he is open somewhere on the field.  Lots of weapons this year.   

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I can totally see Brown having a monster game, and year.  If you double team Diggs, Brown will destroy you.  We went from having zero #1 WR's a few years ago,  to now having 2.  Or at least a stud #1 and fantastic #2.  

I think Knox has a good game.  I could see Allen checking to him or designed plays to him where he is open somewhere on the field.  Lots of weapons this year.   

I hope you’re right.  I have Brown and Allen on Fantasy.  This would be a good day for the Bills and for me!!

14 minutes ago, TBBills said:

They are playing the Jets.... If they don't have a great game this team might be in trouble for the season.

That’s were I’m at , I understand that it’s only a first game BUT ( IMO )

the only thing that can keep us from destroying the jets is Allen having a bad game , THATS IT . 
Go Bills !!!! 

Edited by Putin

Darnold was shaken last year by NE mixing it up and I don't think he solved it over the summer.  Give him and his new OL different looks and I think you can be successful with rushing 4/5 in passing downs.  May not want to run blitz given Bell's style but again he has not practiced at game speed with that line so they will not be in sync. 

Be aggressive, win the game on both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

Seems everyone is assuming Yeldon will be inactive as the 3rd RB like he was last season.  Last year though, they also had Demarco active every week so the active roster was taken up by another backfield spot.  I can see them instead giving Yeldon a shot and switching him with one of the D lineman as can't see them keeping 5 DE active.

Rest I'd tend to agree with though may switch out Philips with Dodson as everything stated sounded like he had a pretty good camp.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Seems everyone is assuming Yeldon will be inactive as the 3rd RB like he was last season.  Last year though, they also had Demarco active every week so the active roster was taken up by another backfield spot.  I can see them instead giving Yeldon a shot and switching him with one of the D lineman as can't see them keeping 5 DE active.

Rest I'd tend to agree with though may switch out Philips with Dodson as everything stated sounded like he had a pretty good camp.

Phillips is more of a ST starter though I think.

34 minutes ago, TBBills said:

They are playing the Jets.... If they don't have a great game this team might be in trouble for the season.

The Jets did go 6-2 in their final eight games of last year...we went 5-5 in our final 10....This game will be much closer than people think.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

On the flip side to that Darnold has actually been relatively decent against the blitz early in his NFL career. Only 1 of his career interceptions has come on a play where a defense rushed more than 4 guys. It might be that what we see is a lot of disguise and pressure from unusual spots rather than the Bills sending the extra man. I wonder if we might get some Taron Johnson or even Jordan Poyer roving close to the line and rushing as the 4th guy?

I wonder how often the Jets have been blitzed on average the last couple of seasons. Maybe the thought process for opposing defenses has been that their o-line is so bad, we can get their with just 4 guys consistently so leave the extra guys in coverage.

As for their new o-line, the positive IMO for the Jets is that they really can't get any worse than they were last year. They might be just as bad as last year, but very unlikely they are worse by an meaningful measure. So that leaves the chance that they are actually quite a bit improved. I recall the Bills were in a similar situation a season or two ago with almost all knew starters after having  a pretty dismal unit the season prior.

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

The Jets did go 6-2 in their final eight games of last year...we went 5-5 in our final 10....This game will be much closer than people think.

I'm expecting the opposite of what most would think would unfold today. I'd like to see us put 30 on the scoreboard but I think the Jets offense might also put up 20+. 

9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

While I expect a close game, I don’t think it will be because of the above. They beat the Bills 3rd teamers and their losses were atrocious (like the Bengals and Miami)

9 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I've sort of been thinking Dodson is the first linebacker in if anyone gets injured, surprised to see you're expecting him inactive.

Comes down to teams I think. Matakevich is a MLB and will be active because of teams. My thinking is they would feel good enough about him getting them out of a game but I do think Dodson would start the next week. 

30 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

We also had senorice Perry last year active as their third back and he never played offense. Taiwan can play some offense when needed so imo those will be the 3 active backs unless injuries. Yeldon just seems to be unlucky on this team. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Active / Inactive

So I think with the new rules basically you are allowed to have 48 guys up (so long as at least 8 are offensive linemen). The Bills active roster currently stands at 52 by my reckoning with Josh Norman having gone on IR. However, they have "activated" for gameday Cam Lewis (who I imagine then sticks as the 53rd man given Josh's status) and Justin Zimmer (presumably as cover for Vernon Butler who is questionable). So they have up to 54 players available to them, of whom 48 can be "up". So my prediction of the 6 who sit if everyone is healthy is: Jake Fromm, TJ Yeldon, Reggie Gilliam, Ike Boettger, Tyrel Dodson and Justin Zimmer. That means all SIX receivers are active and probably a reprieve for AJ Epenesa who under the old 46 man rule would have provided the other two IAs. 

Gameplan

Remember last year when the Bills opened up throwing against the Jets in Metlife? Part of that was no doubt that the best asset of that defense is the run stuffing ability of its defensive line. Once you are talking pass coverage and their linebackers and defensive backs against the Bills' receiving options the advantage is definitely heavily in our favour. So I expect a pass heavy offensive gameplan. On the other side of the ball we know that heavy blitzing is not really McDermott and Frazier's style... but if ever there was a game to send a 5th guy a little more often this is the one. The Jets lack the receivers to really burn the Bills defensive backs in 1 on 1 coverage and their offensive line is completely new from last season. 5 new starters who have had no pre-season reps to start building that chemistry. On the flip side to that Darnold has actually been relatively decent against the blitz early in his NFL career. Only 1 of his career interceptions has come on a play where a defense rushed more than 4 guys. It might be that what we see is a lot of disguise and pressure from unusual spots rather than the Bills sending the extra man. I wonder if we might get some Taron Johnson or even Jordan Poyer roving close to the line and rushing as the 4th guy?

On WGR they just said Darnold has been terrible vs the blitz. I think they said 48% completion 

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

On WGR they just said Darnold has been terrible vs the blitz. I think they said 48% completion 

Interesting. So he doesn't complete passes v the blitz but throws his interceptions against coverage. That isn't a promising mix is it? 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Active / Inactive

Gameplan

Siran Neal