Athletic $1/Month For 3 Months, Cancel Anytime

Rico

35 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I pay full boat for The Athletic (about $50 per year) and it is a steal. All pro sports, written about local journalists who actually know the teams and leagues they follow. 

I hope anyone who is partaking in their special is open to buying for the long term: it’s worth supporting! Just my opinion. 

Maybe if they add Sully!

5 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I pay full boat for The Athletic (about $50 per year) and it is a steal. All pro sports, written about local journalists who actually know the teams and leagues they follow. 

I hope anyone who is partaking in their special is open to buying for the long term: it’s worth supporting! Just my opinion. 

Totally agree. I signed up almost exactly a year ago. Its two main sports are the NFL and soccer which are my two passions and it covers them much better than any of the traditional outlets.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Agreed. To me it's totally worth it just for the Bills - best most consistent, most detailed coverage out there. One of the only places you can reliably get more than just the regurgitated press conferences. There's good general NFL stuff too. I happily re-upped after my initial cheap year. Well worth it.

I've started following Chelsea in the Premier League too, so all of that stuff (which there is a ton of) is a great bonus for me. I don't keep a close eye on any other sports or teams, but if you do it will be even more worth it to you.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LB48 said:

The Athletic has never been profitable over their 4 years of existence.  Bottom barrel rates aren't going to save that.

From USA today:

" the cost for salaries and benefits alone is about $32 million per year, and that doesn’t include “office, support, tech, sales, travel, and a zillion other costs of doing business.”  The Athletic is not profitable, and that diminishes their value for future investors"

Their business model was flawed from the start. They offered these sports writers unheard of salaries to try and obtain top talent. How were they ever going to reach profitability? Or did they know they never would and just hoped to appear to be successful/popular in hopes of making a name for themselves and then taking on more investors before cashing out? Either way, I'm not sure where these writers expect to work once the house of cards comes crashing down. Newspapers not hiring, magazines don't exist, their jobs at news stations have been filled. It's a dying industry.

A more suitable business model would have been to offer freelance work to writers working as independent contractors and then paying them based on the subscription and ad revenue their articles generated. As it became more popular and profitable they could afford to pay more "per click." Having these guys on salary was never going to work. The future is blogging and vlogging and if the written word is going to survive then they need to get on board and follow a similar model.