Current Overrated/Underrated Bills players

Overrated 

Poyer - solid player and his contract is not too excessive. Limited in coverage but doesn't make a lot of mistakes

Morse - he was an upgrade and adequate last year but for the money spent he is overrated. 

Milano - a fine player but this board thinks he is far better than he actually is

Underrated 

Brown - Diggs is better but not by much. Brown is a very good route runner, has very good hands, has excellent but not elite speed, and decent run after catch ability.  It will be very interesting to see how Daboll uses Brown this year. 

Hughes - Jerry is still a very good pass rusher. He doesn't get any benefit of the doubt from the officials. And he is more than adequate against the run.

Murphy (vomit in my mouth) - for the money spent and the lack of jmpact plays he has been a terrible free agent value. That said he eats up a lot of snaps that will keep other guys fresh. He plays to the whistle and sets edge reasonably well even though he is not stout running directly at him. And his last 8 games played may been his best in a Bills uniform. Maybe he has fully recovered from ACL and can be a bit more disruptive pass rushing this year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Overrated 

Poyer - solid player and his contract is not too excessive. Limited in coverage but doesn't make a lot of mistakes

Morse - he was an upgrade and adequate last year but for the money spent he is overrated. 

Milano - a fine player but this board thinks he is far better than he actually is

Underrated 

Brown - Diggs is better but not by much. Brown is a very good route runner, has very good hands, has excellent but not elite speed, and decent run after catch ability.  It will be very interesting to see how Daboll uses Brown this year. 

Hughes - Jerry is still a very good pass rusher. He doesn't get any benefit of the doubt from the officials. And he is more than adequate against the run.

Murphy (vomit in my mouth) - for the money spent and the lack of jmpact plays he has been a terrible free agent value. That said he eats up a lot of snaps that will keep other guys fresh. He plays to the whistle and sets edge reasonably well even though he is not stout running directly at him. And his last 8 games played may been his best in a Bills uniform. Maybe he has fully recovered from ACL and can be a bit more disruptive pass rushing this year

I disagree on Poyer. He's solid and that's how most people see him. I would have to start the overrated list with 1. Edmunds and 2. Allen. I do think Edmunds has the tools to continue improving though. John Brown is solid too, but he's nowhere near Diggs. Other than that, I agree. I'd just add Dawkins and Spain as slightly underrated.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Overrated 

Underrated 

this seems to be an accurate list.  I'd take Hughes off the underrated, however.  I think most fans view him as slightly above average, which is where I would put his current level of play.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Overrated 

Underrated 

Overrated (by Bills fans):

Josh Allen.  Look he made some improvement last year and the trajectory seems to be pointing up.   But he has a LONG way to go.  The amount of excuses that Bills fans will make not to blame Allen is off the charts

Dawson Knox - He has shown some tremendous flashes but made some huge mental errors as well.  The missed block vs Houston was on him, and it was a killer.  He has issues with drops too.  

Underrated (by Bills fans):

Trent Murphy - decent DE that plays the run well.  He will never be a monster pass rusher, but remember, there’s a reason why he started over Shaq Lawson.  

Brian Daboll - not the best OC but not the worst either.  He dialed up some good plays last season that weren’t executed well, included many downfield passes which Allen couldn’t connect.

TJ Yeldon - Yeldon was a good 3rd down back for Jacksonville and he was effective when he got a chance to play last year in Cincy.  The fumble are a huge issue but if he could get that taken care of he’s a good runner and receiver 

• Like (+1) 3

I think they are all accurately rated except for maybe Murphy who is treated like he's a terrible player when he isn't.

I disagree with the rest. Morse? He isn't even talked about often, so how can he be overrated? I think most understand we overpaid for him a little because he was the best option in free agency. If you sign starters in free agency you will overpay. He's a solid player.

I also don't think Poyer or Milano are overrated. Poyer is a fringe pro bowl safety and Milano is a fringe pro bowl linebacker. Both are very good. They aren't great or elite or anything, but they are very solid and every team in the league would be happy to have them. The real value in Poyer is the tandem between him and Hyde.

Hughes is another of those very solid players. There is a lot of divided opinion on both sides for him, so I don't think it is fair to say he is overrated OR underrated. He's both, depending on which fan you ask. The truth is somewhere in-between.

Brown gets a ton of respect around here. Maybe he is underrated nationally, though?

• Like (+1) 2

Overrated:
 Allen - He has the potential, but people are acting like he's already made it. We all want that, but as of last season he's still in the number 20 or so QB range.

Edmunds - People treating him like an elite player, when he's still a massive question mark. Because he was drafted young, he'll have that potential going for him for a while. There's still a lot of LBs in the league I'd rather have at this point, especially if age and money weren't a factor. I'm extremely hopeful for him though given his athleticism.

Milano - I love his play, but he's a solid B+ kind of guy. The $15M suggestions for a guy like him are completely insane. I want him to be a Bill, but I don't see him as a star.
Knox -  Talk about unearned praise. He's got some sort of Martin Nance magic going on with the fanbase. We've seen him make some really great plays, and he's also looked like a guy that's caught 68 balls since he was in high school 5 years ago. Maybe it all comes together this year and he becomes a 1000 yard guy, but there's little evidence to predict that.

Underrated:
Bills fans are pretty high on this team, for good reason, and thus I think more players are getting pushed up rather than down. I'm not sure there's a primary player that's getting dogged where they don't deserve it, but I think there are a couple of guys down the depth chart that could play a bigger role than expected.
Mario Addison - I think this is a huge get. While Hughes gets a lot of pressure, Addison is a player that's been really good about finishing the last couple of years. I wouldn't be shocked to see him around 10 sacks if he gets enough playing time.
Darryl Johnson - I haven't heard anything about him out of camp, but the energy he played with last year, plus him currently being slotted over Epenesa of the depth chart has me hopeful that he pushes Trent Murphy this year.

On a National scale: 

Overrated - None. We have not been relevant long enough to have overrated players 

Underrated - it was White until his All Pro recognition.  Now it’s probably Milano and Dawkins.  There is not much pub on them outside of Buffalo.  

Most scrutinized - Allen.  Some of the negative press is ridiculous for a player that needed coaching and seasoning and was thrust into a rebuilding offense (recall the 2018 OL and the 2019 WRs).  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I'll just say that I think if we revisit this thread a year from now there will be a few chuckles at the notion of Edmunds being overrated.

Maybe he won't be a year from now. I think we're all hoping he lives up to the hype. However, so far his hype has drastically exceeded his play. What has he really done?

• Like (+1) 1

Allen is over rated by no one other than the Bills fan base. He's crapped on by every pundit, fan base, and sports network out there.

Over rated: Milano. Excels in one area and that's coverage. Not great in run support, not a great tackler

Honorable mention: Jerry Hughes (26.5 sacks the last 6 seasons from your top pass rusher) That's pretty bad!

Under rated: That's a tough one. I'd say John Brown. He's never mentioned in top WR discussion but has proven to be quite the player when given the chance to be a focal point. Will likely take a step back this year cause of Diggs but still expect him to be near the 1k mark.

Honorable mention: Micah Hyde. Leader of men, solid tackler, good hands,right place right time kinda player.

Edited by billsbackto81

49 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Maybe he won't be a year from now. I think we're all hoping he lives up to the hype. However, so far his hype has drastically exceeded his play. What has he really done?

An overrated 21yo who runs point for one of the NFL's top defenses and takes away all sorts of outlets normally open to opposing QBs?  Got it.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that Morse is getting paid overs...

I was thinking in this past offseason that they could look to trade him pre draft  2021, Re-sign Feliciano on cheaper money to slot in there a year or two whilst they look to draft and develop the eventual long term replacement..

Will wait and see how Feliciano returns from injury to see is this is still looking like an option ..

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I'll just say that I think if we revisit this thread a year from now there will be a few chuckles at the notion of Edmunds being overrated.

The dude just went to the Pro Bowl. He is totally not overrated.

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

What sorts of outlets? Milano was graded significantly higher than Edmunds in coverage.

@GunnerBill has covered a lot of this in a fair amount of detail.  Take a look.  Edmunds plays a critical role in our defense, which is rated very highly.  

I understand he is highly regarded on this board but so are most players.  The national media generally says good things during games but hardly mentions him at all when listing top players.  I just don't see how he is overrated.  He is most certainly a better player than Milano.  That is no knock on Milano.

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

@GunnerBill has covered a lot of this in a fair amount of detail.  Take a look.  Edmunds plays a critical role in our defense, which is rated very highly.  

I understand he is highly regarded on this board but so are most players.  The national media generally says good things during games but hardly mentions him at all when listing top players.  I just don't see how he is overrated.  He is most certainly a better player than Milano.  That is no knock on Milano.

He isn't overrated nationally - just here and among Bills fans in general. That's the context of most of the thread. He's talked about in the top 20 nationally, but sometimes bills fans act like he's the next Kuechly, Willis, Urlacher, etc. 

It’s a team sport: change any of these individuals out and the players that are left will be different...particularly in the defensive backfield. We’ve all seen it time and time again in the NFL. 

We will see but I have faith a fantastic roster has been put together and this will be a very enjoyable year.