Is there an NFL rule that limits the volume of the piped in crowd noise?

tomur67

Thanks for that article from the Post.

That's just what this board needs right now, as I think most people are interested in this but don't know how it works.

I just read the article.  From September 4, 2020.

A league representative controls the crowd noise at the games.  It is to be played at a constant 70 Decibels.  It cannot exceed 75 decibels.

It is there to mask sounds that TV viewers would normally not hear if the stadium was filled with fans (I.E, prevent you from hearing lots of swearing on field level, perhaps?).

The in-stadium crowd-noise audio is to be played in stadiums without fans. It also is to be played initially in those stadiums with fans, and the league told teams that it will reevaluate the use of artificial crowd noise in stadiums with fans as the season progresses.

So it sounds like there probably was this noise pumped into the game at KC, which explains why it sounded a lot louder than 16,000 fans could generate to my ears.   We were discussing that a lot in the game thread.

• Like (+1) 1

When the is a full stadium, the decibel level rises far higher than 70-75.  Teams would have any trouble with the piped in noise.  We'll have to wait an see if Belichick finds a loophole.  I think the Patriots must have a guy on salary whose job is to look for ways to circumvent the rules.

49 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

So it sounds like there probably was this noise pumped into the game at KC, which explains why it sounded a lot louder than 16,000 fans could generate to my ears.   We were discussing that a lot in the game thread.

They were piping in noise in the KC game

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/9/4/21422804/chiefs-to-begin-season-with-prerecorded-crowd-noise-at-arrowhead-stadium-nfl-coronavirus

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TigerJ said:

When the is a full stadium, the decibel level rises far higher than 70-75.  Teams would have any trouble with the piped in noise.  We'll have to wait an see if Belichick finds a loophole.  I think the Patriots must have a guy on salary whose job is to look for ways to circumvent the rules.

His name's Ernie Adams.

8 hours ago, TigerJ said:

line up a bunch of trucks outside the stadium and coordinate horn blows.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

is the noise only piped in when the home team is on defense?  

The article said the noise was to be produced in an effort to "emulate game conditions" or something like that.

I think they meant it would be played when it would be natural for the home crowd to cheer. 

It should be used in an unfair way (I would think) as it would normally be a home-team favored kind of thing anyway. 

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

yes director of cheating and spying.

Patriots Football Research Director Ernie Adams.

19 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

is the noise only piped in when the home team is on defense?  

That’s a good question if a “league representative” is controlling that noise.  How do they decide?

For example, at an “away” game like Tennessee or even NYJ, I would expect a sizable crowd of Mafia making noise during the home team’s offensive series

13 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

His name's Ernie Adams.

I thought everyone on salary from the Patriots was constantly trying to circumvent the rules

12 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

line up a bunch of trucks outside the stadium and coordinate horn blows.

I like the way you think

20 hours ago, TigerJ said:

We'll have to wait an see if Belichick finds a loophole.  I think the Patriots must have a guy on salary whose job is to look for ways to circumvent the rules.

You can bet the Patriots will be blasting 150 decibel speakers from just OUTSIDE the stadium to get it 76-77 decibels on the field.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:33 PM, Nextmanup said:

The article said the noise was to be produced in an effort to "emulate game conditions" or something like that.

I think they meant it would be played when it would be natural for the home crowd to cheer. 

It should be used in an unfair way (I would think) as it would normally be a home-team favored kind of thing anyway. 

It is unbelievably lame.  That Pitt/NYG game was painful to watch (and hear and see nothing) .  Looked like a 3rd tier high school game.   RedZone Channel for me the rest of the year to keep the action level up.   Individual games are pathetic viewer experience, IMO. 

14 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

It is unbelievably lame.  That Pitt/NYG game was painful to watch (and hear and see nothing) .  Looked like a 3rd tier high school game.   RedZone Channel for me the rest of the year to keep the action level up.   Individual games are pathetic viewer experience, IMO. 

You tune in for the crowd noise? 

You might enjoy the NBA.  The PA system lets you know when you should be excited with such wacky announcements as "MAKE some NOISE!!!" "Somebody SCREEEAAAAAMMMMMM!" and my personal favorite:

On 9/12/2020 at 2:46 PM, TigerJ said:

I am not saying he was involved in the weird, sound pulse attacks in Cuba against our diplomats.

The Pats will neither confirm nor deny involvement.

• Haha (+1) 1