Excellent article on Allen taking the next step.

klos63

I clicked on it, and this is what I see, so I signed up for $3 for the next 3 months, good deal.

$7.99/month
$1/month

Billed as $1/month for 3 months.
$7.99/month thereafter. Cancel anytime.
Due Today: $1.00
Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

https://theathletic.com/2060953/2020/09/12/brad-childress-on-josh-allen-donovan-mcnabb-and-what-it-takes-to-make-the-jump/

This is the type of reporting that adds so much to the experience of being a football fan.  Very informative.

Democracy died in darkness there. Can we get a synopsis?

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Brad Childress discusses McNabb and his progression and how Josh is on a great trajectory. 

McNabb didn’t get over 60% completion percentage until year six. Also said a franchise QB can carry the team on his back. 

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Be more vocal when other players on O f***-up.

Avoid unnecessary hits.

Mega-reps to improve accuracy.

“Really, the definition of a franchise quarterback is he can take the game, he can put it on his back and he can win it for you all by himself,” Childress said. “You may not like some of the ways he wins, but he’s going to win it for you all by himself.

“I think Josh is on a good route there.”

Edited by Rico

12 minutes ago, Rico said:

I clicked on it, and this is what I see, so I signed up for $3 for the next 3 months, good deal.

$7.99/month
$1/month

Billed as $1/month for 3 months.
$7.99/month thereafter. Cancel anytime.
Due Today: $1.00

Thanks for the sneak peak.  Just joined.  I believe in giving value for value.  They hit the sweet spot at the beginning of NFL season.

But I got $1/month for 12 months. 

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, maddenboy said:

Thanks for the sneak peak.  Just joined.  I believe in giving value for value.  They hit the sweet spot at the beginning of NFL season.

But I got $1/month for 12 months. 

It goes up to $8/month after 3 months, but you can cancel anytime.

Although Chilly talked about McNabb, he didnt really stress any similarities between McNabb and Allen, to support the general idea that QBs need 5 years (or 27 games according to Bill Walsh) before you know what you have.

Kinda reads like a piece Chilly wrote long ago that can be brushed off every couple years to talk about Qb development in general.

Here's my favorite excerpt and why I love Allen as a passer moving forward;

Accuracy, Childress said, is easy to grade. When evaluating quarterbacks, Childress always followed the Norv Turner philosophy that the throwing motion should look natural. If you’re going to ride the wave with a quarterback, he’d better have a throwing motion you can live with. Childress thinks Allen has the proper stroke.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Accuracy, Childress said, is easy to grade. When evaluating quarterbacks, Childress always followed the Norv Turner philosophy that the throwing motion should look natural. If you’re going to ride the wave with a quarterback, he’d better have a throwing motion you can live with. Childress thinks Allen has the proper stroke.

I liked the part about QB accuracy not being completion percentage, but where you hit the receiver with the ball, hitting him in stride so he can make a big gain. That's the area of improvement Allen needs to step up with.

57 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't get the throwing motion thing. If a guy has a weird throwing motion but is accurate and timely, what's the big deal? Phillip Rivers is a borderline hall of famer. There are plenty of other examples of guys with weird throwing motions and angles and who get the job done.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't get the throwing motion thing. If a guy has a weird throwing motion but is accurate and timely, what's the big deal? Phillip Rivers is a borderline hall of famer. There are plenty of other examples of guys with weird throwing motions and angles and who get the job done.

It is an opinion and not a fact

14 hours ago, klos63 said:

https://theathletic.com/2060953/2020/09/12/brad-childress-on-josh-allen-donovan-mcnabb-and-what-it-takes-to-make-the-jump/

This is the type of reporting that adds so much to the experience of being a football fan.  Very informative.

Klos, thanks, I read it and it was really worthwhile. Thanks for posting it.

"All the while, Childress knew McNabb wouldn’t be an opening-day starter as a rookie. But he knew every moment mattered in the early development of a quarterback. Reid always told Childress that developing a quarterback was a three- to five-year process. And the organization needs to understand that from the top down.

“ 'And that’s in the same offense with the same offensive coordinator doing the same things,' Childress said. 'You look at that on the face and go, "Oh, *****, I don’t want to take a first-round guy if we have to wait." We’re in the instant era, right? We’re not patient.' ”

Yup.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

IMO, Josh needs to continue developing three things:

1.   He's still a "see it, throw it" QB.    IMO, a lot of his accuracy problems arrise from "seeing it late" and not being properly balanced when throwing.   He needs to become more comfortable with being a "throw it on time and trust your receiver to be there" QB.

2.   Get a louder mental alarm clock when standing in the pocket.   Drop back, 3...2...ball out.

3.   Keep working on refining his natural "hero ball" tendencies.   Don't eliminate that aspect of his game, but better understand the tactical situation and when to "go" versus "no go."

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1