Right side of OL

Just now, Doc said:

True.  But if he does, Winters takes over.  Now if he struggles as well...

I think they'll want to give him more experience and continue to play him. But that depends on how bad he struggles.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd be surprised if they move Ford to RG as this regime seems dedicated to him developing at RT.   I'm about 52.3% confident that it will be Williams at RG and Ford/Nyseche at RT.

I would agree with this.  Especially with Morse’s recent comments about Ford receiving a bad rep unfairly last season and how he has noticed improvements in the preseason.  I suspect that the RT position is Ford’s to lose, and I don’t think he’d lose it in the preseason.  Doesn’t seem like McD’s/Beane’s style.

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd be surprised if they move Ford to RG as this regime seems dedicated to him developing at RT.   I'm about 52.3% confident that it will be Williams at RG and Ford/Nyseche at RT.

I'm 100% confident I don't know what McDermott's long and short term plans are for Cody Ford.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Sal C. commented on this the other day.  He was talking with Daboll and he said that where he has been (mostly referencing New England under BB and Alabama with Saban, I think) it was common operating procedure to have "plug and play" offensive linemen who were expected to be able to move around and slot in at different spots on the line.

ugh. Just what a QB or RB needs. Something different all the time.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

That was my original thought.  I think the decision will be made based on how he performed in camp, which is something we know nothing about. 50/50

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Williams has struggled at right tackle in his career his first couple seasons. And Ford had some good games last year

All players just need reps. I just wouldn't guarantee a transition to guard for Ford because we have Williams

Let the oline line gel things out for a bit and then reassess

I really do not understand this line at all.  Williams played RT in 2016 for most of the season.  He played well enough to remain the starter in 2017 where he was a 2nd team All-Pro at RT.  Then he gets hurt 2018 and was IR’d.  He returns in 2019 after the injury - played both guard positions and left tackle (He did not play RT at all in 2019).  

So when exactly was the right tackle struggles - his rookie year when he platooned - much like Ford?  After that he took over the RT position and was solid there - good enough to get 2nd team All Pro.

Yes I think Ford had some good games, but if the O-Line is better with Morse, Ford, Williams - while Mongo is out - that is how they should play.  If Ford plays well at guard - you let him stay and develop.  If they have some liberty to move people around - they can do that also, but I want the best 5 guys out there and a 5 year vet with All-Pro chops should be able to handle the position better than a part time 2nd year player.

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

I really do not understand this line at all.  Williams played RT in 2016 for most of the season.  He played well enough to remain the starter in 2017 where he was a 2nd team All-Pro at RT.  Then he gets hurt 2018 and was IR’d.  He returns in 2019 after the injury - played both guard positions and left tackle (He did not play RT at all in 2019).  

So when exactly was the right tackle struggles - his rookie year when he platooned - much like Ford?  After that he took over the RT position and was solid there - good enough to get 2nd team All Pro.

Yes I think Ford had some good games, but if the O-Line is better with Morse, Ford, Williams - while Mongo is out - that is how they should play.  If Ford plays well at guard - you let him stay and develop.  If they have some liberty to move people around - they can do that also, but I want the best 5 guys out there and a 5 year vet with All-Pro chops should be able to handle the position better than a part time 2nd year player.

He all prod in 2017 his third year in the league. In 2015 and 2016 he was your typical up and down offensive lineman

He was given time to learn and grow. People want to cut off Cody's development after one season. It takes years to develop an NFL tackle

4 hours ago, frogger said:

Ford at Guard and Williams at RT is what I believe we will see.

Winner. My choice as well.

I think Nsecke will be our swing tackle spelling Dawkins and Williams when needed.

I really would like to see Ford develop into an RT as it was what he was drafted for. I saw a podcast with J. Sirles who knows Ford well and said he would be better suited at RT because it fits his skill set like footwork and quickness better. Feels he doesn't have the "point of attack" power needed like Feliciano. Unless there's a Q.Nelson on the board you don't draft Guards in the late 1st and early 2nd.

Edited by billsbackto81

31 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Lot's of people predicted Ford/Rockefeller but it ended up Ford/Dole.

It could have been Ford/McDole, but McDole played defense.  He did end up in Washington though.  Hopefully, I confused somebody with this.

Edited by TigerJ

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

This might not be a popular opinion......but I think Jon F. has trouble getting back onto the field because Ford is going to own that position by the time he gets back

It wouldn't surprise me.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He all prod in 2017 his third year in the league. In 2015 and 2016 he was your typical up and down offensive lineman

He was given time to learn and grow. People want to cut off Cody's development after one season. It takes years to develop an NFL tackle

All I want is for the best 5  players to start.  Given their histories, the player with the most ability at RT currently is Williams.  At RG, it could be Ford but it could just as easily could be Winters.  We shall see.  But I hope they're not forcing Ford to start if he's not one of the 5 best players just because they drafted him high.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

It wouldn't surprise me.

All I want is for the best 5  players to start.  Given their histories, the player with the most ability at RT currently is Williams.  At RG, it could be Ford but it could just as easily could be Winters.  We shall see.  But I hope they're not forcing Ford to start if he's not one of the 5 best players just because they drafted him high.

That is if you take the past into account, and you don't take into account Ford's possible improvement

It's totally possible he made great strides over the last eight months.

Of course the Best 5 should play

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

This might not be a popular opinion......but I think Jon F. has trouble getting back onto the field because Ford is going to own that position by the time he gets back

You're right it probably isn't popular, but it probably is 100% true. I think Ford shuts a lot of people up this season.