Highlights and Observations from the Week One game vs. Jets last year

IgotBILLStopay

On eve of our week 1 matchup - thought I would revisit last year's week 1 game. Most coaches and personnel are unchanged and, unlike the week 17 game, this game meant something.

Here are the highlights (enjoy)

The Good

Devin Singletary, Allen scrambling (dating back to 2017 - for the most part Allen scrambling does lead to good outcomes so long as he doesnt attempt across the body hero ball throws), Allen Beasley connection, Allen Brown connection, the fight in the Bills despite being down 16-0

The Bad

Josh Fumbleitis Allen

The Ugly

That safety ughhh. And a scrambling for his life Darnold heraves one that sails above our defense for the stupidest TD I have ever seen

The Unlucky

Both Allen interceptions. First one was off Beasley's hands (I think it happened a few times over the season - Allen's throw is a bit too hot to handle at close range - maybe Beasley should make sure to get one hand on top the Ball to prevent the ricochet). Second one was a pass batted down at LOS.

The Lucky

Jets missed FGs, Mosley injury, Maye missing the interception, Darnold underthrowing an open Anderson multiple times

Mixed bag

Our Oline - Feliciano looked good for the most part, but others played poorly the entire first half. Dammit the Jets had a 3 man rush and an occasional blitzer - shd have done a lot better. against it  But the Oline did rebound in the second half opening some holes for Singletary.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

On eve of our week 1 matchup - thought I would revisit last year's week 1 game. Most coaches and personnel are unchanged and, unlike the week 17 game, this game meant something.

Here are the highlights (enjoy)

The Good

Devin Singletary, Allen scrambling (dating back to 2017 - for the most part Allen scrambling does lead to good outcomes so long as he doesnt play across the body hero ball throws), Allen Beasley connection, Allen Brown connection, the fight in the Bills despite being down 16-0

The Bad

John Fumbleitis Allen

The Ugly

That safety ughhh. And a scrambling for his life Darnold heraves one all over our defense for the stupidest TD I have ever seen

The Unlucky

Both Allen interceptions. First one was off Beasley's hands (I think it happened a few times over the season - Allen's throw is a bit too ht to handle at close range - maybe Beasley should make sure to get one hand on top the Ball to prevent the ricochet). Second one was a pass batted down at LOS.

The Lucky

Maye missing the interception, Darnold underthrowing an open Anderson multiple times

Mixed bag

Our Oline - Feliciano looked good for the most part, but others played poorly the entire first half. Dammit the Jets had a 3 man rush and an occasional blitzer - shd have done a lot better. against it  But the Oline did rebound in the second half opening some holes for Singletary.

Don't forget the Jets missed kicks. That was big in deciding the outcome.

It was a strange game, honestly. I never actually felt like the Bills would lose. Our defense was smothering and our offense moved the ball at will until inexplicably squandering opportunity after opportunity. I felt like they would turn it around and get the win, and they did. But they made it uncomfortably close.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Don't forget the Jets missed kicks. That was big in deciding the outcome.

It was a strange game, honestly. I never actually felt like the Bills would lose. Our defense was smothering and our offense moved the ball at will until inexplicably squandering opportunity after opportunity. I felt like they would turn it around and get the win, and they did. But they made it uncomfortably close.

Agree. Thanks. Added it to lucky.

Maybe too simple but Bills lose if Mosely didn't get hurt. 

The pick six was a bad pass by Allen. It could and should have been caught but it was a terrible pass that led to fluke pick 6.

Allen played much better as the year went on (except Cleveland and Philly). He should be much better. 

Also the o-line was starting 4 new guys plus a new TE. They should be better this year with Ford in year 2 no matter who plays RT/RG.

Thanks for posting; just watched the full video.

My takeaway is it was a game of mistakes, miscues, and key bad plays on both sides of the ball--arguably for both teams, though it seems like we made more mistakes than the Jets.  (Even if they did miss an extra point, etc.).

1 point victory; low score; neither team gets to 20.

This is the sort of game I have predicted for tomorrow in the prediction thread.

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.