Brian Daboll is on the hotseat starting TOMORROW

Penfield45

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

His game is def not read option

I’d definitely be fine with less read option. But they should definitely design some 3 and 5 step QB draws on first and second downs that give him the option to just hit the dirt if the space to run isn’t there. Those type of plays force them to keep defenders home across the middle, opening up more downfield. Mix in a few run/pass option sprint outs, and then of course JA will just take off when there’s an opportunity to do so. Running is a huge part of his game, and he’s great at it. He’s getting much better at not taking big hits. And dude is still a tank. He can take a tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I woujld prefer that he get his runs on scrambles when protection breaks down or a mental count when nobody is open........it is a weapon

but the running backs need to actually run the ball

This!!!

He didn’t need to be running the sweep he fumbled on. We have skill position players who can do that.

I don’t like the option play as a staple ( which it seems to be).

He showed great pocket awareness today! If it breaks down and he can get some with his legs cool but the designed runs need to be held for special occasions.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BadboyBills said:

He was slinging it today. Stop with the 'the has to stop fumbling' narrative and get on 'the no more or a lot less QB run plays and let him use his instinct when the pocket breaks down' narrative. Less called qb run plays, less fumbling

He has to stop fumbling. We need his legs at times. Josh has to hold onto the ball.

I was confused with the offensive formations for much of the game.  I understand the desire to create confusion with the pre-snap movements, but even as the ball was snapped most of the offensive players were still jumbled near the LOS as were the Jets' defenders.   As someone pointed out, Bills don't have the RB talent to quickly hit a hole when one was there.  Another case of not utilizing the formations that fit your personnel.   I think that running out of a more spread out formation would have worked better.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

Both fumbles happened on called qb run plays. On one of the fumbles he would've injured his shoulder if he didn't let it go. Another reason for less qb run play calls that would equal less fumbles and griping here.

But his running is part of what makes his who he is. I think some of the runs were unnecessary, but we do need his legs some. And he has to improve his ball security. It is just as simple as that.

6 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

Both fumbles happened on called qb run plays. On one of the fumbles he would've injured his shoulder if he didn't let it go. Another reason for less qb run play calls that would equal less fumbles and griping here.

Yup no called QB runs today and we win by 40 I wager

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But his running is part of what makes his who he is. I think some of the runs were unnecessary, but we do need his legs some. And he has to improve his ball security. It is just as simple as that.

I don’t think anyone is opposed to JA running the QB sweep once or twice per game, but that was absolutely the wrong time and place for that call.  We’re up 21-0 and he’s already fumbled it once today, not to mention history of fumbling on similar plays...Plus, there is no excuse for exposing him to injury on a play like that when we have so many other options...That was absolutely unforgivable 

Edited by mannc
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s not easy to get a run game going when the QB is in the shotgun almost every play and when you run from that set, the RB is often behind the QB. 

How do you start your RBs 7 yards behind the LOS and expect success? 

Jets have a great run D so I am not that worried but the sets were odd. If they were in a game with a lead vs a good team (Houston playoffs anyone?), establishing a running game would be critical. 

Edited by shoshin

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I don’t think anyone is opposed to JA running the QB sweep once or twice per game, but that was absolutely the wrong time and place for that call.  We’re up 21-0 and he’s already fumbled it once today, not to mention history of fumbling on similar plays...Plus, there is no excuse for exposing him to injury on a play like that when we have so many other options...That was absolutely unforgivable 

I agree that was the wrong call. Have never said otherwise. But generally Daboll called a good game. 

13 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

Yes, when its instinctual, not designed. Get rid of the designed qb runs less fumbles. We need to find a stat for when its designed vs a breakdown of the pocket or instinctual runs. I bet he has less fumbles when its natural vs designed. I hate the designed runs, 90% of them unnecessary.

Some of them converted 1st downs today. I don't agree 90% are unnecessary. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of them converted 1st downs today. I don't agree 90% are unnecessary. 

I’d like to have seen fewer of those QB runs, and three straight seemed excessive (ending with a Josh fumble, so.....yeah). What is curious is how he had room to run, while the RB’s had so little, if any. It makes me think maybe these qualified people who do this for a living might be smarter than I am!  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea it’s ridiculous to get on the OC for the calls because their QB is wreck less with the football. They are very effective when he holds onto the football. 

Allen fumble issues is just 1 aspect of it

the other is constantly sending our franchise QB into 270LB LB's who area ready to rip his head off. its not worth the risk no matter how effective the plays are. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GG said:

I was confused with the offensive formations for much of the game.  I understand the desire to create confusion with the pre-snap movements, but even as the ball was snapped most of the offensive players were still jumbled near the LOS as were the Jets' defenders.   As someone pointed out, Bills don't have the RB talent to quickly hit a hole when one was there.  Another case of not utilizing the formations that fit your personnel.   I think that running out of a more spread out formation would have worked better.

The good news that it worked. A win is a win.

Josh is a very good running QB. He must utilize his ability to do so.  Not JUST when the play breaks down.  I feel our offense will function at its best if we continue to use him in called running plays.  

The read option was ugly today.  Seemed as if he made the wrong decisions each time.  It’s part of his learning process.  If he gets comfortable making those reads and starts making the correct reads, it can be a major weapon.  

the biggest problem with him running, is his fumbling.  That’s not on anyone but Josh.  He has to improve his ball security.  Plain and simple.  The plays that he fumbles on, were good plays and produced.  

I can’t wait to watch him progress.  

Missing brown and (I think) knox in the endzone are the plays that really frustrate me.  Wide open, he doesn’t even come close.  Maddening, but the kid is a bada$$

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d like to have seen fewer of those QB runs, and three straight seemed excessive (ending with a Josh fumble, so.....yeah). What is curious is how he had room to run, while the RB’s had so little, if any. It makes me think maybe these qualified people who do this for a living might be smarter than I am!  

Yeah, 3 in a row may have been overkill at the time but it was working.  It would be brutal playing on a defense knowing that the QB is smashing the ball down your throat and you can’t do anything about it