Have You Ever Attended A Bills Home Game

LB3

Have You Ever Attended a Bills Home Game?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Ever Attended a Bills Home Game?

I live in the west and made a trip out to Buffalo to see a game in 2012 with my dad (who is from Buffalo). Fitz was the QB and we played the Rams. It was a December game (I wanted the full Buffalo experience). Fitz did what Fitz does. He made the game interesting until throwing a game sealing INT.

It was awesome just to be there because it was my first time, but it also sucked because we lost and it was in the midst of the drought.

Have had season tickets for 10+ years. Started while living in Houston (to help keep the team in Bflo) and now while living outside of Pittsburgh.  Hoping to keep the tradition going when I retire to the southern tier of NY.

For me its not an event thing, it's a lifestyle. For me and my family, going to games has meant flying in and staying in hotels, and now that I'm 3 hours away, its an all day commitment and drive.

Feels odd to not be on the road right now, headed north to Orchard Park.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Yes, many.  Including the first ever home game at the Rockpile when I was 4 years old.

Favorites:  

1.  Monday night season opener in 1974 when we beat the Raiders.  Best game I’ve ever seen live.

2.  Season opener 1980 when we finally squished the Fish.  Helped carry the goalposts to Ralph’s box.

3.  AFL championship game and The Hit Heard Round The World

4.  Taking my wife to her first game and her getting logos tattoos on her face (temporary ones).  And my mom showing her off to all her friends in her section.

Worst

1.  Getting to my seat right before kickoff for the first ever game at Rich Stadium, then seeing Mul-Key return the opening kickoff for a TD.

2.  Game at the Rockpile in OJ’s rookie year against the Bengals.  Sloppy day with rain all day, Bills played terribly, OJ sucked.

I've been to many home games. My favorite experience was the last game in the Rock Pile. I don't remember who we were playing, or what the score was, but what makes it my favorite was after the game my dad and older brothers pull out tools from their coats and start disassembling the seats. I ask them what the heck they're doing and my dad says, "I've been sitting here since 1960, I PAID for these seats, I'm taking them home." We carried the set of four seats out of the stadium and onto the bus and no one said a word, no one even looked at us funny. To me that epitomizes the atmosphere of those "early days" of being a Bills fan. You wanna roll a keg into the stadium and set it up in the aisle ... go right ahead ... wanna bring in your grill and cook in the bleachers ... nooooooo problem. I don't know what ever happened to those seats, dad is long gone now, but if I had to guess one of my brothers has them to this day.

My least favorite was the home opener against the Chargers a few years ago. My son (early 20's) was born and raised in Florida, but like the good dad I am, raised a Bills fan. We were sitting around talking one day and he mentions that we've gone to Bills games pretty much all over the country, but never to a home game. He says he's heard of the legendary tailgate parties and he'd like to see it as a Bills fan, kind of a pilgrimage to  Mecca sort of thing. My lovely bride looks at me and says he's right you know, you've turned the poor boy into a Bills fan and they've pretty much sucked his entire football life, you owe him. Sooooo I jump on the internet, pay way too much for a couple of primo seats, and decide we'll go up a few days early and stuff ourselves with good pizza, royal subs, beef on weck, Labatts Blue, frozen custard and top it off with a good drubbing of the Chargers to end the perfect father son weekend. As we're flying up I think I really should show him where I keep my Medicare card just incase an emergency should happen (I'm not as young as I used to be). I decided against it because I want him to have fun and not be worrying about the mortality of his broken down father. If you remember it was hot that day ... really HOT. We got to hammers lot at about 8:30 in the morning, joined in all the festivities, did the field house stuff, wandered around and enjoyed ourselves. By game time my butt was dragging, I couldn't stop sweating, nothing I did would get me cool, but I put on a brave face determined to not spoil my sons day. The one concession I made was switching from beer to water to try and rehydrate. As the game went on I was getting worse and worse. By the middle of the fourth quarter I decided to go into the tunnel to try and cool off, I told my son if I didn't return by the end of the game to meet me in the tunnel. I must have been real pale because a number of fans stopped and asked if I needed assistance, but I declined and slowly slumped to sit down trying to stop the stadium from spinning. I swear to God the only thought running through my head was the vision of my son coming to meet me in the tunnel and finding the lifeless body of his father propped up by the concession stand. I was beating myself up about deciding to not show him my Medicare card, and worrying that the trauma of his father dying and the Bills loosing the home opener may be too much for him and turn him into a Dolphins fan or something. To end the story, I didn't die, my son and I hooked up after the game, and when we got back to the hotel I took an icy cold shower and set the air conditioning on stun. After a couple of hours I was back to my old self. In discussing the days events we decided the mistake I made was switching to drinking water, the only LOGICAL explanation was that I ended up with a tainted bottle of water, and if I had stuck with beer I would have been just fine. Well ... that was our diagnosis and we're sticking to it.         

• Haha (+1) 1

The best game I’ve been to has to be the one against the Seahawks in 2008 during the Jauron era. 

Mooreman threw a TD pass and we destroyed the Seahawks. I think that took us to like 4-0. I truly Bill-eaved. Then the team fell off a cliff. 

Edited by Nick the Greek
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes, many.  Including the first ever home game at the Rockpile when I was 4 years old.

Favorites:  

1.  Monday night season opener in 1974 when we beat the Raiders.  Best game I’ve ever seen live.

2.  Season opener 1980 when we finally squished the Fish.  Helped carry the goalposts to Ralph’s box.

3.  AFL championship game and The Hit Heard Round The World

4.  Taking my wife to her first game and her getting logos tattoos on her face (temporary ones).  And my mom showing her off to all her friends in her section.

Worst

1.  Getting to my seat right before kickoff for the first ever game at Rich Stadium, then seeing Mul-Key return the opening kickoff for a TD.

2.  Game at the Rockpile in OJ’s rookie year against the Bengals.  Sloppy day with rain all day, Bills played terribly, OJ sucked.

Some time when you are feeling bored and it's a bit of a slow day here, I would LOVE for you to start your own thread about that Monday night game in 1974.

Most folks here aren't going to remember that, so it will be fresh and new to us, and you said it's the best game you ever attended.

Give us your memories!  It's important for this stuff to remain alive within the fanbase! 

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Some time when you are feeling bored and it's a bit of a slow day here, I would LOVE for you to start your own thread about that Monday night game in 1974.

Most folks here aren't going to remember that, so it will be fresh and new to us, and you said it's the best game you ever attended.

Give us your memories!  It's important for this stuff to remain alive within the fanbase! 

I will this week sometime!