Have You Ever Attended A Bills Home Game

LB3

Have You Ever Attended a Bills Home Game?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Ever Attended a Bills Home Game?

4 hours ago, LB3 said:

If you have, what was your favorite experience? What was your least favorite experience?

My first live game ever was the 51-3 shellacking of the Raiders to get to the first Super Bowl, so my answer to the first question is pretty obvious. I was a freshman at UB and home in NYC (family from Buffalo) for the holidays. My uncle surprised me with tickets to the championship game, and me, my aunt, and my uncle -- all huge Bills fans, uncle and aunt since 1960 -- all went to Orchard Park to watch the game. As we walked in, Ralph Wilson was walking behind us. It was a balmy 33, but even so, by the end of the game, every inch of my body felt chilled. The next day, it was 11 degrees and windy, so thankfully that weather held off a day. I can see Jim Kelly drop the ball, pick it up, and hit James Lofton in the end zone to start the rout. 

A few years later brought my worst experience. The same uncle and aunt came up to watch the game and bought tickets. It was against Miami and one of the other SB years, and we were 4-0 going in. I had a brutal cold, a test monday, two papers due Tuesday, and there was a persistant rain. When Miami got off to an insurmountable lead, one obnoxious Fins fan kept taunting our whole section, yet surprisingly he remained upright the rest of the game. We lost 37-10 and was thrust back into dumb college reality of papers, etc.

Once, after a night game against the Broncos, my friend's ne'er-do-well boyfriend's RV broke down in the middle of a one-lane section of Abbott Road. It was mortifying to stand outside as police directed a long line of cars around us. I don't even remember how we wound up getting home. However, the Bills won that game, so who cares -- everything was bliss.

I've only been to one Buffalo game since I moved back to NYC, when we beat Houston in 2016. It was 62 degrees and it was my first chance to tailgate at a Bills game (RV got there late of course and my family are not drinkers) and for all the talk from some corners about needing a new stadium, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way -- maybe more bathrooms :). It's just such a college (and collegial) atmosphere. Buffalo is one for a few hours.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I've been to at least one game a year since the late 90's

Best games

1) vs Patriots 2011. 34-31 win with Fitzmagic

2) vs Raiders 2011. 38-35 win with Fitzmagic

Worst games

1) vs Dolphins 2010 (season opener). 15-10 loss. I had a terrible hangover for the game, and in the 1st quarter some guy projectile vomited 2 rows behind me. Stadium crew didn't even put sawdust on it until the 3rd quarter..... I spent that entire time trying to not vomit as well. The game itself was also pretty terrible. 

2) vs Browns 2009. 6-3 loss. The worst-played football game in recent NFL history. 

3) vs 49ers 2008. 10-3 loss. 49ers opened the game with a TD drive, and then put up about 100 yards the rest of the game. Bills drives kept stalling and settling for (missed) FGs. Peak Jauron era garbage

I was at both the Browns and 49ers games you mentioned. SMH. It was raining during the 49ers game if I remember correctly. I also attended a clunker against the Texans that was around the same time period. It was the game where the refs enforced a penalty against the Texans when the Bills were signaling to decline it to bring up 4th down.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, holla83 said:

I first learned about this game from the Bills 35th anniversary VHS tape that I got as a kid. Didn't Ferguson complete a long pass to Hooks the play before or earlier in the drive to set that up?

Yes, indeed.  It was one hell of a catch...

"Hooks had made an incredible diving catch down the middle for 37 yards to get the winning drive started. “That was the key catch of the day,” said Ferguson. “Without that one, we wouldn’t have had a chance for the last one.”

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/11/22/bills-game-day-nov-22-1981-bills-20-patriots-17-joe-ferguson-roland-hook-hail-mary/2167421001/

• Like (+1) 1

Worst game (and the one that made me decide to give up my season tix):

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200012030buf.htm

The Phins were blowing out the Bills 24-0 in the third quarter and were driving again.   Miami had a third down at the Bills 13 and got flagged for a personal foul--which would have backed them up just out of Orlindo Mare's field goal range if they didn't convert.  For whatever reason, Wade Phillips declined the penalty and Miami kicked the FG.    I was so damn pissed at Wade for just rolling over that it broke the camel's back and that was it for me...

28 minutes ago, holla83 said:

I was at both the Browns and 49ers games you mentioned. SMH. It was raining during the 49ers game if I remember correctly. I also attended a clunker against the Texans that was around the same time period. It was the game where the refs enforced a penalty against the Texans when the Bills were signaling to decline it to bring up 4th down.

~40 degrees, grey, and rainy at that 49ers game. That was the year we started 5-1 only to finish 7-9 (this loss dropping us to 6-6 and basically ending any hope at playoffs). 

Many games and many memories.

One really fun one that stands out is Monday Night Football, October 11, 1993.  Against Houston Oilers.

We won 35-7.  I went with 3 good college buddies, all Bills fans, and we sat down low near the front corner of the end zone, opposite the tunnel.  The guy who impersonates Elvis (who I think is still there) was like 3 seats away from us.

Fun night, big win.  When the play moved to the far side of the 50, it was hard to tell what was happening; no depth perception.  Was that run a 3 yard gain or a 1 yard loss????

But when the game came down to our end, say inside the 20, it was really cool.  The players were right on top of us for some plays.

Edited by Nextmanup

It's interesting reading the posts...so many people who spend a lot of time on here have either never gone to a game (!) or only a few...and don't appear to be Buffalonians! 

How in the hell did you people end up Bills fans?  It makes no sense.

This is a curse you are born into, for the most part.

I enjoy any win.  It's hard to pick out a favorite.  Worst experience is easy.  It was the first Bills game I ever attended.  I think it was 1983.  In any case, it was a Monday nighter versus the NY Jets.  The Bills were BAD.  After a bad first half, the crowd turned ugly in the second half.  Numerous fights broke out among drunken fans.  Full cups of beer were hurled through the air showering most fans by the time the game was over.  The smell of beer hung heavily in the air.  There were multiple arrests and fans who were tossed from the game.

The greatest game I can remember was the 1990 conference championship game between the Bills and the Oakland Raiders.  Beside the excitement of the game, the country was engaged in the Gulf War and the stands was packed with American flags and the patriotism was unbelievable. The fans were going crazy,  Chanting USA,  USA, USA all through the game.  On the field, the Bills crushed the Raiders (51-3).  The Raiders  never had a chance. They were completely outclassed.  It was a game that many people will never forget.

My first game was the 69 Home opener against the Jets.

Entering the Rockpile with my Dad (just the 2 of us) was unbelievable.

The sights, sounds and smells of that place is burned into my memory.

Even though the Bills lost I was hooked for live football!

I will be thinking of my Dad with fond memories tomorrow.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Greatest game was The Comeback Game with a dear friend who is no longer with us and yes we stayed for the whole game.  Followed closely by 51-3 over Raiders - lost my voice in the first half and was worth it. Recent games were The Opener against the Colts and also when we played the Buccaneers and Tre White sealed the game by causing the fumble as Bucs were driving...

Worst game - a few come to mind - The strike/scrubs game against Giants (we won but boring), then there was the long ride home with my cousin who is a Steelers fan when we lost to them and a chance for playoffs, last season's home finale in the pouring rain was tough but we were already heading to the playoffs so didn't bother me as much.

My son (now a huge 23 year old Bills Fan and a dedicated NYS Teacher - bought us the tix to the last game of the season - last year as Christmas gift for me.  It is cool being a Bills fan, raising your kids and letting them root for whoever they want - and they pick The Red White and Blue of the Buffalo Bills!  

Edited by The BLUES Brothers
I wanted to give props to my son for getting me the ticket to the game in cae he reads it here
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, tomur67 said:

The greatest game I can remember was the 1990 conference championship game between the Bills and the Oakland Raiders.  Beside the excitement of the game, the country was engaged in the Gulf War and the stands was packed with American flags and the patriotism was unbelievable. The fans were going crazy,  Chanting USA,  USA, USA all through the game.  On the field, the Bills crushed the Raiders (51-3).  The Raiders  never had a chance. They were completely outclassed.  It was a game that many people will never forget.

I still remember it.  It was kind of like a peak as a Bills fan. It felt like we were unstoppable & would own the '90's.

Probably too easy of a win, considering the next game.  I hate to think that they might have taken the SB more seriously if it was closer, but these are the things I torture myself with.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Best experience:  Bills won

Worst experience:  Bills lost

I call that the best, and the second best experiences. Even a loss can be a great event, and a memory with friends and like minded fans to be cherished. 

GO BILLS!!! 

Tomorrow we begin! Best experiences only! 

Oh, yeah, I’ve been to a few over the years......

13 hours ago, eball said:

For games I’ve attended:

Best — The Comeback

Runner-Up — ‘90 AFC Championship

3rd place — 3 TDs in a minute vs. Denver (‘90)

Worst — Wild Card vs. Jacksonville (1st and only Bills’ playoff loss at home)

Runner-Up — Saints in 2017

I was sitting in the endzone section, scoreboard end for that one and remember Jimbo being carted off and thinking "well, that's it.". And it was. 

I’m from Mississippi and never been to a home game to think of it I’ve never watched a bills game with other bills fans in my 30 years of rooting for them. No bills fans in Mississippi at all but it is my dream one day to watch a home game surrounded by bills fans screaming and rooting all together instead of making my wife mad every Sunday lol. So to all my bills fans when y’all are at home games causing havoc on the enemy boy dose it get me pumped too. Love my bills and the mafia