Do defenses take advantage of no noise in stadiums.

YattaOkasan

Even away defenses are probably gonna find the games quieter than normal.

Any thoughts on if defenses take advantage of this and/or if offenses will have to adjust?  

I thought I saw some more hand signals from Watson, is that one way?

Do they switch the calls half way through?

do they pump enough noise into the stadium that I’m crazy?  

the idea of quiet games is still super

weird me on the eve of the eve. 

Edited by YattaOkasan

8 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Agreed. I think there are more than enough smart coaches/QBs that will counter. How do you think they do it?

For audibles I think they just have various versions of them based on themes. Like last year we could hear him calling out different pop singers. If it's in the huddle I don't know that's a whole lot tougher.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Thank you (+1) 2

@Warcodered Yes but words that start with L and R to determine the protection slide is sorta what I mean. It seems easier for a defense to pick up on that this year cause they can pick up better (they don’t have on field mics pointes at QBs accessible to them right?). Do they do a sub signal like righties and lefties for the slide???  That would actually be sick.  

EDIT: a L/R MLB pitcher call would be pretty cool cause there are so many of them and I don’t think defenses outside of the division have any chance of picking up on it. Divisional games is also probably where this matters the most. 

Edited by YattaOkasan

45 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Even away defenses are probably gonna find the games quieter than normal.

Any thoughts on if defenses take advantage of this and/or if offenses will have to adjust?  

I thought I saw some more hand signals from Watson, is that one way?

Do they switch the calls half way through?

do they pump enough noise into the stadium that I’m crazy?  

the idea of quiet games is still super

weird me on the eve of the eve. 

Read in ... I think Albert Breer's column that they will be piping in enough noise that the defense won't be able to easily hear what the offense says.

The D, or at least the front seven, has always been able to hear the audibles, and that won't change, of course. There will be an effect, but my personal guess is that it will be minimal.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Read in ... I think Albert Breer's column that they will be piping in enough noise that the defense won't be able to easily hear what the offense says.

The D, or at least the front seven, has always been able to hear the audibles, and that won't change, of course. There will be an effect, but my personal guess is that it will be minimal.

I think you’re probably right but I like the idea of just an extra layer of subterfuge. 

I can't remember which Bills coach but for some reason I think it was Jauron who apparently never changed their hand signals and line calls vs NE of all teams. Some Patriots player said they couldn't believe it. I remember seeing that a while back.

Anyway as long as you switch up your signals no one should be able to pick up what you're doing. You might change them every series.

Ever since Peyton Manning crowds have learned to be very quiet when the home offense is on the field. So there is an advantage lost for the home defense though, offense is able to communicate more easily. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

We were discussing this in the TNF thread.  I'm pretty sure crowd noise will be piped through the stadium on the PA system.

So it may be louder in there on Sunday than you think.

I don't think it will be a major factor one way or the other.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

We were discussing this in the TNF thread.  I'm pretty sure crowd noise will be piped through the stadium on the PA system.

Agreed. I feel like the ambient noise will be similar to a neutral site game. 

Forget this year.  I'm going to start worrying right now about 2021.  How will the Bills be able to defend their Super Bowl championship and handle the deafening crowd noise after getting used to silence in stadiums?  We can't just be one and done....

Edited by cage
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think you’re probably right but I like the idea of just an extra layer of subterfuge. 

Mentioned on One Bills Live that a significant reason for piping in fan noise is to prevent teams and coaching staffs, both at the event and watching on television, from picking up defensive calls.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yes my quick search showed that was the only place it was being discussed. Figured a separate thread made sense. 

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I think fans think they influence the game a lot more than they actually do. Not to say they don’t at all, but a prepared team can work around a hostile crowd.

McD would disagree with this unless you think he’s blowing smoke to the media (definitely a possibility)

4 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I watch watching college football Thursday and the two teams had to agree on the level of crowd noise to be pumped into the stadium. Since they couldn't agree, I believe there wasn't any noise at all. Anyone know if this is the case for the NFL?

The league sends a noise loop to each team that has to be played at an exact decibel level. Fines to teams and responsible personnel and loss of draft picks are the penalty for not adhering.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1301653002390994945/photo/1

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

Honestly I wonder if it helps Josh. He’s usually SOOO hyped up I worry that’s where some of his mistakes come from, not be contained within himself.

I think no crowd has the possibility to help him be more collected in his decision making?

I think that is certainly a possibility, and probably not just with Josh.  A lot of guys may be affected in a similar manner.

For years now, I have said that the AWAY team in NHL playoff hockey games has the advantage, b/c the home team has that crowd going nuts and THEY are the ones who feel the pressure of a need for a win.  

The away team gets the benefit of thinking they are expected to lose anyway, so all they have to do is go in, lay low, play a steady, low-key game, and try to sneak out a victory...and I think it just puts them in a much better head space than the home team.

You seem to be basically making the same point.

• Thank you (+1) 1