Defense and special teams TDs this season

Inigo Montoya

As dominant as our defense was last year, the defense did not score a single touchdown all season.  We had one special teams TD on Micah Hyde's, jumping, pirouetting fielding of that onside kick versus Miami that he returned for a touchdown Week 14.  That's it, just one defensive or special teams TD all season long for the Bills.  It's crazy to think that a top five defense in the league did not have a single INT or fumble return for a TD.  

I think that scoreless defense last year was an anomaly and I expect our defense to score some points this season.  I think there is a great opportunity for the Bills to score a defensive TD this Sunday against the Jets.  The Bills' defense is going to be able to stunt and confuse the Jets' new and untested O-line and get after Darnold all game long.  I think we will see Darnold frequently under pressure and make some bad decisions with the ball and see him getting hit in the pocket.  A ball is going to get knocked out or tipped at some point.  I think this is the week where our defense finally gets off the scoring schnide.  

[EDIT]  For reference, by my count there were 36 INT TDs and 34 fumble recovery TDs for a total of 70 defensive TDs in the NFL during the 2019 season.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That's why I'm hesitant when drafting the Bills defence/ST in fantasy, they are a good defence in the NFL, but aren't one to get huge points cause they don't score as often as you need.

I don't know if we are going to see a big difference this year. There wasn't alot of change to the defence this year and I don't think it's McDermotts style to expect much scoring from them. I always think of him as an old school football guy who expects the defences job to stop the other teams offence and get the ball back to the offence and let them get the points. The defence may have a strength now being together going into another year, but other teams also now have more video of the Bills defence to look at

Edited by apuszczalowski

2nd in points allowed is dominant but tied for 10-14th in Takeaways is not.  They need 8-10 more sacks this year which will generate 1-3 fumbles and the increased pressure will produce another half dozen INT's.

My guess, they score 2 defensive TDs this season and add a blocked punt for a safety just to make me look bad for saying special teams don't matter.  

Turnovers in general, let alone scoring on turnovers, are a crap shoot.  Luck.  Chance.  They go up, they go down, they aren't repeatable, and they can't be explained.

Insofar as we were down last year, I agree, it may well go up this year.

Or it may stay down again this year too!  We'll find out! 

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

[EDIT]  For reference, by my count there were 36 INT TDs and 34 fumble recovery TDs for a total of 70 defensive TDs in the NFL during the 2019 season.  

So 2 is average, 3 above average, and 4+ outstanding. I'll take average, more is greedy, but it sure would be a big help.

This is an interesting thread, and I’m not so sure looking at averages across the league is the right way to evaluate it.  I’d like to see how the top 5 or top 10 defenses in the league fared over the past five years vs. the bottom 10.  I’m willing to bet that the top 10 defenses scored more often than the bottom 10, and it is therefore a statistical anomaly that the Bills defense didn’t score last year.

17 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It shows just how alone Josh Allen was in terms of producing points for this team.

He scored 29 of the team’s 35 TDs on the season.

That’s ridiculous.

For context, NFL MVP Lamar Jackson’s teammates scored 21 TDs in which he had zero involvement.

Dude was a man among boys out there and still has haters. I don't get it.

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

As dominant as our defense was last year, the defense did not score a single touchdown all season.  We had one special teams TD on Micah Hyde's, jumping, pirouetting fielding of that onside kick versus Miami that he returned for a touchdown Week 14.  That's it, just one defensive or special teams TD all season long for the Bills.  It's crazy to think that a top five defense in the league did not have a single INT or fumble return for a TD.  

I think that scoreless defense last year was an anomaly and I expect our defense to score some points this season.  I think there is a great opportunity for the Bills to score a defensive TD this Sunday against the Jets.  The Bills' defense is going to be able to stunt and confuse the Jets' new and untested O-line and get after Darnold all game long.  I think we will see Darnold frequently under pressure and make some bad decisions with the ball and see him getting hit in the pocket.  A ball is going to get knocked out or tipped at some point.  I think this is the week where our defense finally gets off the scoring schnide.  

The Bills did not score a defensive touchdown in the previous season, either--none for either 2018 or 2019.

They're overdue.

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd be very happy with a season like 2016 where we had 46 offensive tds and 3 defensive. If we can avg 24 pts per game we win 11+.....

Will be facing some good teams this year who put a lot of points on the board , I know we have a good defense but I’m sure there will be games when will need to score more then 24 points to win !

Go Bills !!!!