My state is burning to the ground.

Logic

I want to ask a question without seeming insensitive and Exile in Illinois last year when the fires were going explained it better than I could but these fires especially in Calif seem inevitable every year.  Why do people continue to flock to Calif?  It is pretty obvious these forest fires are inevitable, as they happen every single year.  Your house has a chance to burn down every single year, the air is polluted constantly due to the smog, over crowding, the real estate pricing is in another stratosphere compared to most of the country, earth quakes, gangs, scores of homeless people.  Exile explained last year that Calif with it's climate & terrain was just not meant to be lived in, yet it is the most populas state in the country.  

I mean are people drawn there just because of the weather.  Been to Calif many times, it seems dirty to me.  You got the ocean, but I have been to the many places on the East Coast & the West Coast & the beach towns on the east coast are cleaner & nicer and the water you is more suitable for swimming activities.  The Beaches on the west coast the water seems dirty, dark & cold.  I don't know why anybody would want to live in Calif.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It has its pros and cons, like anywhere.

The weather, mountains and coast are a pretty big draw.

CA is not one size fits all....you can't compare Del Mar to Santa Clara, or Ontario to Truckee.

Some places are absolutely nuts (ex. starters homes in San Jose going for ~$1M) and I really don't know how people make it work.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

I wrote an article for Medium about spending this week breathing in the worst air in America.

Read it if you like. Or do not. I am not a beggar.

https://medium.com/@matthewrule23/burning-eyes-and-existential-dread-319cc8ee33c2

It IS going to rain tonight!

Also, for a guy with a moniker of Logic, try adding the Air Quality Index to your favorites! 😁🍺

• Like (+1) 1

The weather forecast calls for rain tomorrow. Like a true eternal optimist — or a foolish masochist, take your pick — I believe it.

A lifetime of being a Bills fan will do that to ya. 😉

But seriously, author E.L. Doctorow once said, “Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader—not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.” After reading your article, my lungs feel heavy. I hope you guys get some relief soon.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

A lifetime of being a Bills fan will do that to ya. 😉

But seriously, author E.L. Doctorow once said, “Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader—not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.” After reading your article, my lungs feel heavy. I hope you guys get some relief soon.

Thanks sincerely for the compliment and the well wishes.

The air is improving here even as we speak. We're all the way down to the "unhealthy" level! That's quite the improvement from "Beyond Index". I'll take it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/11/2020 at 12:06 PM, Logic said:

I’m stuck indoors right now to avoid smoke Inhalation, because the air quality in Portland right now is the worst of any city in the world, due to the raging wildfires through the state.

HALF A MILLION acres of Oregon are burning right now. Tens of thousands of people have been displaced. Towns surrounding mine are evacuating as we speak.

The entire west coast is on fire.

My living room smells like a campfire, even with the windows closed. The sky is a strange, orange color. Ash is raining from the sky like snowflakes. Everything but grocery stores and doctors is closed.

2020 just keeps on coming, man. What a time to be alive.

Stay safe! Prayers going out

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/12/2020 at 4:29 AM, Mark Vader said:

The Climate Change crowd puts all the blame on everyone else, when the real blame goes on them. The idiot politicians in this state that refuse to clear out dead trees only continue to make it unsafe here.

"The Climate Change crowd"? 

Uh, like scientists?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bad Things said:

"The Climate Change crowd"? 

Uh, like scientists?

Scientists make mistakes too.

Moreso it's the politicians and activists who believe they are smarter than all of us.

Leave all the dead trees and shrub alone, they make homes for tiny animals. Yes, that makes perfect sense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks sincerely for the compliment and the well wishes.

The air is improving here even as we speak. We're all the way down to the "unhealthy" level! That's quite the improvement from "Beyond Index". I'll take it.

Glad to hear it’s getting better. We lived in prime hurricane territories for more than 30 years. I will take that ALL DAY LONG over those wildfires. THAT is some crazy, scary stuff. Stay well! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gordio said:

I want to ask a question without seeming insensitive and Exile in Illinois last year when the fires were going explained it better than I could but these fires especially in Calif seem inevitable every year.  Why do people continue to flock to Calif?  It is pretty obvious these forest fires are inevitable, as they happen every single year.  Your house has a chance to burn down every single year, the air is polluted constantly due to the smog, over crowding, the real estate pricing is in another stratosphere compared to most of the country, earth quakes, gangs, scores of homeless people.  Exile explained last year that Calif with it's climate & terrain was just not meant to be lived in, yet it is the most populas state in the country.  

I mean are people drawn there just because of the weather.  Been to Calif many times, it seems dirty to me.  You got the ocean, but I have been to the many places on the East Coast & the West Coast & the beach towns on the east coast are cleaner & nicer and the water you is more suitable for swimming activities.  The Beaches on the west coast the water seems dirty, dark & cold.  I don't know why anybody would want to live in Calif.  

Hey!

Stop being insensitive! People like living embedded in the woods, just like flood plains too!  /smh

The blame is on everybody else.  They need to wise up and stop doing what they're doing in Duluth, Minnesota. I am not sure what that  is, but it's contributing to Climate Change.  So they say.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hey!

Stop being insensitive! People like living embedded in the woods, just like flood plains too!  /smh

Is that it? I thought they just loved the high taxes!

I kid, people do their own things for their own reasons. Jobs are usually high on the list. There are a lot of places we’d rather live, but Atlanta offers the best job opportunities for my wife and son. I don’t love it, but you do what you have to do, so some day you can do whatever you want to do and nobody can tell you you can’t. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Is that it? I thought they just loved the high taxes!

I kid, people do their own things for their own reasons. Jobs are usually high on the list. There are a lot of places we’d rather live, but Atlanta offers the best job opportunities for my wife and son. I don’t love it, but you do what you have to do, so some day you can do whatever you want to do and nobody can tell you you can’t. 

Agree... 

Just don't raise insurance premiums on everybody because some dumbazzes want to live in danger zones.

With regard to fires, why don't they ease up on the environmental regs and bring back economic value to the forest floor??   There are pictures of houses burnt to the ground right next to tall, still living trees!  That doesn't seem logical. Tree survives,  because it actually may need the fire,  yet structure is toast. 

Sorry. I NEED to stop being insensitive. 

6 hours ago, Logic said:

I wrote an article for Medium about spending this week breathing in the worst air in America.

Read it if you like. Or do not. I am not a beggar.

https://medium.com/@matthewrule23/burning-eyes-and-existential-dread-319cc8ee33c2

Being in Canada I wasn’t really following the situation but im sorry to hear that you have to go through all this.

I hope it all gets better soon.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, meazza said:

Being in Canada I wasn’t really following the situation but im sorry to hear that you have to go through all this.

I hope it all gets better soon.

Thanks for the well wishes. Rain in the forecast tonight. Brighter days ahead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Agree... 

Just don't raise insurance premiums on everybody because some dumbazzes want to live in danger zones.

With regard to fires, why don't they ease up on the environmental regs and bring back economic value to the forest floor??   There are pictures of houses burnt to the ground right next to tall, still living trees!  That doesn't seem logical. Tree survives,  because it actually may need the fire,  yet structure is toast. 

Sorry. I NEED to stop being insensitive. 

This isn't incorrect. I'm categorically against bailing out people who choose to build mcmansions in fire/earthquake/hurricane/tornado zones.

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This isn't incorrect. I'm categorically against bailing out people who choose to build mcmansions in fire/earthquake/hurricane/tornado zones.

What are you trying to say, that  you normally think I am incorrect?  😆 🤣 I won't take this lightly!

Hey Buddy, a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while too...

Anyway... At the very least,  adapt building to the area.  Maybe if that hurricane 🌀 proof, or tiled roof house in the woods,  cost 50% more, it would  discourage people from living there. YET, states like Florida, Texas, Arizona complicate things and make it so damn cheap with lower  taxes, etc... People flock to the danger zones then blame Climate Change.  Then, hence my comment about the people in Duluth doing something wrong and need to change their habits with regard to Climate Change. When the Dust Bowls hit, people  were forced to migrate.   Do we still not have two feet?

You know what Joe, you gotta really stop being insensitive.   😉 😜 

"LiVe SomEwhErE eLSe" is such a lazy take.

There are countless examples around the globe of society thriving in resource poor or hazardous areas.

That doesn't mean we should allow uncapped growth and completely pillaging of the environment to make it work (Ex. Insane diversion of the Colorado River), but people have to live somewhere, and that doesn't make them reckless.

Edited by TheElectricCompany