I wonder if the opt-outs are having second thoughts

Albany,n.y.

From what I saw on the broadcast last night the NFL is doing a great job with testing & monitoring.  I'd like to know if some of the opt-outs are regretting their decision.  I can't imagine giving up 1 year of a short career and then realizing that their fears were not justified.  It's too late for them to change their minds, but should the NFL open up a window of opportunity for the opt-outs to return now that they can see how closely the teams are monitoring things?  

Earlier this year I had a commitment to work a month for the town I live in.  I was very concerned when it was decide that we would have meetings 2-3 times a week.  When I got to the 1st one I saw they had given us separate tables at least 6' apart in a big room.  My fears went away & I was able to fulfill my obligation.  If I had opted out & then heard how safe our meetings were, I would have regretted opting out.  I wonder how many NFL opt-outs would come back if given a second chance.  

• Like (+1) 3

I haven't exactly studied an exhaustive list of all the holdouts, but I assumed most guys doing it were established in the league and already had their $10 million + stashed away.

I agree, it's kind of a risk for a tweener type player who hasn't made it yet, but then again ,we are talking about health and safety.

Not everything has a price tag.  

• Like (+1) 4

I doubt they regret it, the teams are one positive case sneaking through away from total shut down. I am impressed they’ve held it away and super hopeful they don’t have issues. So far so good. My guess is the opt outs are fine with the decision since I would also guess the decision they made probably wasn’t about them but their families concerns 

• Like (+1) 1

I mean, this sounds wonderful to say 1 day into the season lol. 

why don't you wait a few weeks before declaring the mistake everyone who opted out made? even though you were able to go back to work meetings, this just may be a very different situation. 

• Like (+1) 7

22 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

From what I saw on the broadcast last night the NFL is doing a great job with testing & monitoring.  I'd like to know if some of the opt-outs are regretting their decision.  I can't imagine giving up 1 year of a short career and then realizing that their fears were not justified.  It's too late for them to change their minds, but should the NFL open up a window of opportunity for the opt-outs to return now that they can see how closely the teams are monitoring things?  

Earlier this year I had a commitment to work a month for the town I live in.  I was very concerned when it was decide that we would have meetings 2-3 times a week.  When I got to the 1st one I saw they had given us separate tables at least 6' apart in a big room.  My fears went away & I was able to fulfill my obligation.  If I had opted out & then heard how safe our meetings were, I would have regretted opting out.  I wonder how many NFL opt-outs would come back if given a second chance.  

The season has barely started to think that we’re out of the woods would be a little premature IMHO ...

1 minute ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

You can tell how well testing and tracing is going by watching football?

INteresting, to say the least.

They had a story about the constant testing & monitoring with tracking bracelets on the broadcast, might have been the pre game show.  If you saw it you would know what I'm referring to. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

They had a story about the constant testing & monitoring with tracking bracelets on the broadcast, might have been the pre game show.  If you saw it you would know what I'm referring to. 

that is so they can catch it early and know who have been around, you could still catch it.

25 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I doubt they regret it, the teams are one positive case sneaking through away from total shut down. I am impressed they’ve held it away and super hopeful they don’t have issues. So far so good. My guess is the opt outs are fine with the decision since I would also guess the decision they made probably wasn’t about them but their families concerns 

1 positive test will not shut down anything. It will keep that player out for a few weeks and anybody that he may have infected if anybody. This season will play out in full 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Fair enough.

I saw a lot of people on the sidelines with masks on their chins of touching it constantly. Kind of defeats the purpose of a mask.

And right as the broadcasters were saying the fans in the stands should be wearing masks it was showing fans without masks. And the fans did not seem overly distanced to me. They seemed to be together in clumps.

We'll see how it goes after week 1.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

1 positive test will not shut down anything. It will keep that player out for a few weeks and anybody that he may have infected if anybody. This season will play out in full 

Really? The way I understand is results are not instant. Therefore you could have an infected player possibly infecting others during a practice which would obviously spread rampant. I’ll admit I honestly have not paid attention in a few weeks to what testing is being done etc etc but last time I looked despite testing players daily they’re not getting instant results. So if you have no fever or symptoms you’re let in even though you may have it and potentially spread it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Really? The way I understand is results are not instant. Therefore you could have an infected player possibly infecting others during a practice which would obviously spread rampant. I’ll admit I honestly have not paid attention in a few weeks to what testing is being done etc etc but last time I looked despite testing players daily they’re not getting instant results. So if you have no fever or symptoms you’re let in even though you may have it and potentially spread it. 

It’s almost instant results at this point. Honestly this season should be just fine