Another reduction in staff at Entercom stations.

PromoTheRobot

I have to concede I tuned into WGR-550 today, online, for the first time since MARCH.

The website is all new to me now.  It's absolutely horrible.

Radio.com reminds me of Comcast Cable, i.e., a total ***** operation.

I have not listened to Buffalo radio in some time.  Sirius XM or my DirectTv app in the car (listen only).  Used to listen to 550 on a regular basis, haven’t listened for a few years.  Afternoon is beyond unlistenable, and even though I like Howard and Jeremy, I can only hear the same take for so long.  Used to listen to the pre and post game all the time, have not bothered for the last two years.

Radio is going the way of print media.  Too many easier, customizable options for the end user.  SiriusXM, Spotify/Apple Music/etc.  The consumer has proven they are more than willing to pay for subscription services for customized and ad free content.

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have to concede I tuned into WGR-550 today, online, for the first time since MARCH.

The website is all new to me now.  It's absolutely horrible.

Radio.com reminds me of Comcast Cable, i.e., a total ***** operation.

The radio.com app is the reason I stopped listening completely.   Would listen throughout my work day through headphones, but with radio.com and the seemingly non-stop commercials I switched to podcasts almost exclusively.   Kind of sad in a way, been a Howard Simon guy going back to his time at Empire.

Edited by thenorthremembers

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

The radio.com app is the reason I stopped listening completely.   Would listen throughout my work day through headphones, but with radio.com and the seemingly non-stop commercials I switched to podcasts almost exclusively.   Kind of sad in a way, been a Howard Simon guy going back to his time at Empire.

In fairness, they seem to have eliminated some bugs out of the live listening feature with the time slip function and what not.  None of that crap worked at all when it was new, but now it is better, but still glitchy! 

What pisses me off is that the online component of "listening live" is not synched to the radio broadcast, in terms of commercials.

In other words, they will be in the middle of a segment and someone will start saying something interesting and then the computer decides its time to run a 30 second commercial right in the middle of it.

The website scrolls down forever, like ESPN, and it's hard to find stuff, hard to use, etc.

They fired Paul Hamilton to save a few nickels when no sports were going on, etc.

Just a very ratty business and a very poorly run company by all accounts.

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

In fairness, they seem to have eliminated some bugs out of the live listening feature with the time slip function and what not.  None of that crap worked at all when it was new, but now it is better, but still glitchy! 

What pisses me off is that the online component of "listening live" is not synched to the radio broadcast, in terms of commercials.

In other words, they will be in the middle of a segment and someone will start saying something interesting and then the computer decides its time to run a 30 second commercial right in the middle of it.

The website scrolls down forever, like ESPN, and it's hard to find stuff, hard to use, etc.

They fired Paul Hamilton to save a few nickels when no sports were going on, etc.

Just a very ratty business and a very poorly run company by all accounts.

Agreed.   It's tough too because I actually enjoy some of the banter on WGR's shows compared to the hard and fast template some podcasts use on their daily shows, however I just cant do the endless commercials anymore.    It seems like everytime I jump in the car and turn it to GR I am hearing a commercial.

The cut ins in terms of the apps commercials are incredibly weird as you said above.  

• Like (+1) 1

And today Entercom gleefully spun this bloodletting as a creative boon. Basically they are making all their Alternative and Country stations clones. Same music. Same airstaff.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/199980/entercom-details-launch-of-reimagined-country-and-

• Haha (+1) 1

Honestly gave up on WGR years ago. 

I don’t value or care about any of their opinions or programming.  

Couple guys in the tix group used to like to put it on for the ride home postgame, the callers were mostly nails on a chalkboard. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not that I am wishing bad things for them, but I am amazed that Simon, White, Bulldog and Shoop have survived any layoffs at entercom.  Replace them on the cheap with any of the 20 something recent college grads working at the station, and ratings would not move at all...up or down.

• Like (+1) 1