Adam Gase on playing the Bills defense: “It’s chaotic”

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Difference is one took a horrible team made them good and build uponed it. And on other hand the other had a very talented team but never reached full potential and under achieved.

True, but the boys did have a foosball table.  And coach played dressup with the Clemson helmet!  That should count for something!  🙄

13 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m going to state an unpopular opinion. I realize that Rex isn’t a good NFL coach, and McD is vastly superior. However, this franchise had more problems than just Rex at the time. The front office and coaching staff were disjointed. Whaley had no vision that considered coaching style when building a team. Ryan’s defense was absolutely pathetic for a guy considered a defensive genius. We all saw what McD did with limited talent on D his first season, that’s a real defensive coach. However, I think our defensive talent heading into 2015 is overrated.

Dareus was a beast when that defense was good, but this was before he decided to check out. Mario Williams was dominant for a while too, but his career was slowing down by 2015. We had talent, but many of our important defensive contributors from the Marrone years were fading away for various reasons. Rex still isn’t a good coach, and there’s no way the defense should have been that bad. I’m just not convinced we’d have this elite defense back in 2015 if we didn’t hire Rex. There were many factors in play. 

Mostly agree with what you say here but I think Whaley did try to draft and get players to fit Rex's style.  The stories at the time indicated Rex had a lot of say in the drafts. That was one of Whaley's issues.  

20 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m going to state an unpopular opinion. I realize that Rex isn’t a good NFL coach, and McD is vastly superior. However, this franchise had more problems than just Rex at the time. The front office and coaching staff were disjointed. Whaley had no vision that considered coaching style when building a team. Ryan’s defense was absolutely pathetic for a guy considered a defensive genius. We all saw what McD did with limited talent on D his first season, that’s a real defensive coach. However, I think our defensive talent heading into 2015 is overrated.

Dareus was a beast when that defense was good, but this was before he decided to check out. Mario Williams was dominant for a while too, but his career was slowing down by 2015. We had talent, but many of our important defensive contributors from the Marrone years were fading away for various reasons. Rex still isn’t a good coach, and there’s no way the defense should have been that bad. I’m just not convinced we’d have this elite defense back in 2015 if we didn’t hire Rex. There were many factors in play. 

i blame ownership for putting a marketing guy (russ brandon) in charge of football operations (they should have brought polian back) . marketing guys priorities were selling tickets, suites and sponsorships....enter a carnival barking blowhard named rex who should have never been hired for this job to take over a top 5 defense based on 4-3 personnnel when all he knew was 3-4. it takes several  years to switch over. they did it poorly. all that led to another regime change and they punted on mahomes.....what a disaster.

fast forward to today.....STABILITY in coaching has finally arrived. the future  bodes well for bills fans

• Like (+1) 1