Adam Gase on playing the Bills defense: “It’s chaotic”

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's funny how McD is the savior these days, and Rex was a joke show.

Rex was 1 game under .500 for his Bills career; McD is 2 games above.

Both live/lived right in the middle of the league where almost all teams reside.

But 1 is horrible and 1 is great.

You seriously don’t see the difference?!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 7

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Both live/lived right in the middle of the league where almost all teams reside.

Rex took an amazing defense and turned it into a pile of crap.

McD took Rex's mess of a D and brought it back to elite status.

I imagine that is where most of the animosity towards Rex comes from in our fan base.

Edited by Metal Man
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Fair points i guess but Rex was obnoxious & his personality was all about himself. It was like he was a star of his own reality tv show. Whereas McD has class & is all about his players.

Rex coached a team that felt disjointed, McD's teams play like 1 cohesive unit.

And our trajection with McD is a team on the rise.

The only thing rising with Rex was his weight.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You really can’t see the difference between the two?  You’d have to try hard not to. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think Rex was a above average HC. I would take Rex over Gase in a heart beat. 

I also would like to see L Frazier made the highest paid DC in the NFL. McD and Frazier make a strong team. We are lucky to have two coaches that are great at developing defensive players. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

And right there you've provided a fantastic example of why people who only look at statistics are frequently mistaken as to what is really going on.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Those are all EXCELLENT points BUT you miss two critical factors:

1) Rex never made the playoffs, we made it 2 out of 3 with McD

2) Mcd/Beane came in with a long term plan, the "process",  that was bound to have short term pain...they took a lot of grief from many fans when they jettisoned players they didnt feel like where part of the plan notably Marcel Dareus.  This really hurt on the salary cap front but the Bills have now  worked their way out of it.

So what team was better positioned to succeed and go deep in the playoffs, the 2020 Bills or the Bills under Rex in the following year?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think Rex was a above average HC. I would take Rex over Gase in a heart beat. 

I also would like to see L Frazier made the highest paid DC in the NFL. McD and Frazier make a strong team. We are lucky to have two coaches that are great at developing defensive players. 

Rex, imo, was way below average by the time he go to the Bills.  He either got fat and lazy and/or was checked out long before he got to WNY.

Rex could never adapt to the modern NFL, he never advanced his formerly winning Defense and he could NOT adabpt the defense to the current players the Bills had.  

The classic was when Rex, after being a NFL head coach in the NFL for 7 years blurted out (tried to use it as an excuse that backfired at least to me) he didnt know how the NFL replay system worked.  That was after that embarrassing fiasco of his missed replays he should have reviewed and the poor replays he choose to review which he didnt get down.  That was the KC game if that Rex knew about proper clock management and how to review plays the Bills could have easily won.  After that game I found his bombastic ego driven press conferences no longer humorous simply irritating.

And then to seal his WNY football legacy, Rex coerced the Pegulas into hiring the busted fat slob of a failure brother that got fired from coaching the worst defense in the NFL to come join the Bills as a third "defensive guru (Rex, our then DC and his fat slob brother).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

Rex took an amazing defense and turned it into a pile of crap.

McD took Rex's mess of a D and brought it back to elite status.

I imagine that is where most of the animosity towards Rex comes from in our fan base.

Well stated. McD is no better and may be a bit worse than Rex with regard to time management, game decisions, and challenges. But Rex destroyed a great defense even while building a top 10 scoring offense. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The guy below .500 is a buffoon.  The guy above .500 has a process, and no brother feeding at the company trough.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Too simplistic to say their only a couple games apart results wise:

• Different expectations - Rex supposedly inherited a team ready to win now, McD/Beane had to do a total rebuild and still won
  • McD has a throw away game at end of last season they probably win if starters play so if they win that game his record is 26-22 (.542 win %) vs. Rex's 15-16 (.484)
  • Trajectory of team is totally different
  • Rex was known as a defensive genius and the defense wasn't very good. McD is known for his defense and he has delivered 
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Rex came off as disorganized loudmouth. Also, he introduced Donald Trump at a rally, so....

McD had me scared during the Peterman experiment, but has rebounded nicely and developed a quality core. We don't have many elite players, but we have a ton of good + great players that play hard and smart.

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Huh GIFs | Tenor

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Well stated. McD is no better and may be a bit worse than Rex with regard to time management, game decisions, and challenges. But Rex destroyed a great defense even while building a top 10 scoring offense

And that was the irony of Rex's tenure seeing he was supposed to be a defensive genius.

Though I would think a lot of people would be more likely to give Roman the credit for the Bills offense before he somehow got fired as the scapegoat for a terrible defensive performance. Especially seeing the success he is having with the Ravens offense now.

In my opinion the mistake was made by Brandon and the Pegula's for even bringing Rex in. The defense was already elite so why hire a defensive coach HC especially considering the O was horrid? Imagine if they could have brought in an offensive mind like Frank Reich or Kyle Shanahan and then kept Schwartz on as DC?

To me that would have been the smarter direction to go at the time but can't complain now as things are trending up.

20 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Rex came off as disorganized loudmouth. Also, he introduced Donald Trump at a rally, so....

McD had me scared during the Peterman experiment, but has rebounded nicely and developed a nice core. We don't have many elite players, but we have a ton of good + great players that play hard and smart.

What has him introducing D Trump at the rally has anything to do with anything???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

One has been to the playoffs twice in three years, and the other has not.

Are you serious with this?

• Thank you (+1) 1