I will be cheering at least once for the Jets this weekend

One of my best friends from school in the early 90s was a huge Jets fan.  An almost annoying "J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets" fan.  There were four of us; one from New York (Pete), one from Miami and one from Detroit.  

Football debates were a-plenty, but it was the tale end of the Super Bowl years so I was very comfortable in making the case for the Bills.  "You guys rebuild, the Bills reload.", was a frequent retort.  

After school ended we each went back to our respective homes and stayed in contact, but never as much as we should.  I was glad to say that I was at each of their weddings which were truly blessed times.

Pete called m in April to let me know that he had been diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer back in January.  He had kept it very quiet.  I was the first of our friends to know.  During this same conversation he let me know that given the medical lock down as it was in New York City treatment, or at least the treatment and care he was looking for, which included the presence of his wife during this anxious time for him, could not be had.  He knew what the unfortunate writing on the wall was and wanted to finish out the time with his family.  

In our last conversation he wanted me to know that he loved me very much, and that I should let the guys know he loved them, as well.  I returned the sentiment, sheepishly and inefficiently because...well...you know...it's never enough...words, I mean. 

I was careful in my discretion afterwards in checking up on Pete, out of respect for his wishes.  His lovely wife called late in June to let me know that after having to briefly be resubmitted to the hospital due to complications my friend.   My good friend.  My brother, had passed on.  

I won't forget the final story as told by one of Pete's children during his funeral eulogy that earlier that month when their priest had stopped by to ask Pete if it was OK to do last rights Pete had said, "Well, I was baptized,  received first communion, confirmed, and married all in the church so I might as well run the table on this!"

That's Pete.   That's so Pete...the guy could make you laugh on his final bed.  

I told our group of friends in a text last month that I want to talk Bills/Jets football, but my guy is gone and I don't have anyone to talk to about them.  

In retrospect I believe that post was a lie...I just wanted to talk to me friend.  The good thing is, though, I do still talk to him and I do still hear him. 

He was 51, with a beautiful wife and four wonderful children, and he will forever be my friend.

So please forgive this Bills fan on Sunday, because among a group of friends and family at an outdoor Bills kickoff party "J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!" will be howled from my pipes at least once.  

...but don't you dare expect this will be a regular thing, Pete...I can hear you laughing at me already and telling me I've finally come to my senses.  

And thank you for being a great friend...a great everything, really.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Sad 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 19
  • Thank you (+1) 14

So sorry for your loss. Sports and real life often intertwine. I talk to my dad every week after the Bills game. He’s the reason I’m the type of fan that I am, he was always highly invested. We rehash everything over the phone. We argue (in good fun) about the players, etc. I know that one day it will be gone (he’s 76 and a cancer survivor) and it will greatly impact the way I follow the team and watch the games. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So sorry for your loss. Sports and real life often intertwine. I talk to my dad every week after the Bills game. He’s the reason I’m the type of fan that I am, he was always highly invested. We rehash everything over the phone. We argue (in good fun) about the players, etc. I know that one day it will be gone (he’s 76 and a cancer survivor) and it will greatly impact the way I follow the team and watch the games. 

My 86 y/o parents visiting tomorrow, in route to my recently widowed Brothers place in S. Carolina. Dad hasn’t missed a single play since the Opener in 1960. AND he ***** about every single play to this day!🤣😇

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

One of my best friends from school in the early 90s was a huge Jets fan.  An almost annoying "J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets" fan.  There were four of us; one from New York (Pete), one from Miami and one from Detroit.  

Football debates were a-plenty, but it was the tale end of the Super Bowl years so I was very comfortable in making the case for the Bills.  "You guys rebuild, the Bills reload.", was a frequent retort.  

After school ended we each went back to our respective homes and stayed in contact, but never as much as we should.  I was glad to say that I was at each of their weddings which were truly blessed times.

Pete called m in April to let me know that he had been diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer back in January.  He had kept it very quiet.  I was the first of our friends to know.  During this same conversation he let me know that given the medical lock down as it was in New York City treatment, or at least the treatment and care he was looking for, which included the presence of his wife during this anxious time for him, could not be had.  He knew what the unfortunate writing on the wall was and wanted to finish out the time with his family.  

In our last conversation he wanted me to know that he loved me very much, and that I should let the guys know he loved them, as well.  I returned the sentiment, sheepishly and inefficiently because...well...you know...it's never enough...words, I mean. 

I was careful in my discretion afterwards in checking up on Pete, out of respect for his wishes.  His lovely wife called late in June to let me know that after having to briefly be resubmitted to the hospital due to complications my friend.   My good friend.  My brother, had passed on.  

I won't forget the final story as told by one of Pete's children during his funeral eulogy that earlier that month when their priest had stopped by to ask Pete if it was OK to do last rights Pete had said, "Well, I was baptized,  received first communion, confirmed, and married all in the church so I might as well run the table on this!"

That's Pete.   That's so Pete...the guy could make you laugh on his final bed.  

I told our group of friends in a text last month that I want to talk Bills/Jets football, but my guy is gone and I don't have anyone to talk to about them.  

In retrospect I believe that post was a lie...I just wanted to talk to me friend.  The good thing is, though, I do still talk to him and I do still hear him. 

He was 51, with a beautiful wife and four wonderful children, and he will forever be my friend.

So please forgive this Bills fan on Sunday, because among a group of friends and family at an outdoor Bills kickoff party "J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!" will be howled from my pipes at least once.  

...but don't you dare expect this will be a regular thing, Pete...I can hear you laughing at me already and telling me I've finally come to my senses.  

And thank you for being a great friend...a great everything , really.

Nice story.

I hope you have posted the same thing over at a Jets forum like gang green.  

They'd like it there I'm sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1